Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24096 - 07/14/05 12:59 PM Madrid:English Speaking Tours?
chrismiss56 Offline

Hello

We will be in Madrid from a Friday to a Sunday and was wondering if anyone knew of any guided English speaking tours that will take us around the city.

Thanks!!

#24097 - 07/15/05 12:47 PM Re: Madrid:English Speaking Tours?
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Wellington Society Tour, http://wellsoc.org. Fun and entertaining tours. Not the typical tours were the guide throws out facts about Madrid. The Chairman adds color to Madrid's history and it is recommended by many here.

I hope you like to drink, because the Chairmain does know some great Tapas bars. smile

If you do go say hi to the Chairman and Connie for me.

Bill from New York City

#24098 - 07/15/05 12:55 PM Re: Madrid:English Speaking Tours?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I agree with Bill from NYC. I too fully/completely/unequivocally recommend The (British) Chairman's The Wellington Society\'s historical walking tours of Madrid. I think I've attended 4 tours over the years and they're always entertaining, informative, funny, and tasty! If you search this message board you'll likely find dozens of threads and recommendations of these tours.

Saludos, MadridMn

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24099 - 07/15/05 07:34 PM Re: Madrid:English Speaking Tours?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
The Palacio Real offers some English language tours. You may have to wait 30-min or until they have a sufficiently large group to be worthwhile.

Several TourBus Companies have 'canned' tours (dial a language on your headset) in English. TrapSATur is one that comes to mind. I think they're on c/San Bernardo, just off the GranVia; but they have pickup at most major hotels.

#24100 - 07/16/05 11:19 AM Re: Madrid:English Speaking Tours?
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
A cheaper alternative may be to use that Rough Guide/Lonely Planet book to draw up your route. You can then take as long as you like, and stop off for a coffee or beer or granizado when you like...

#24101 - 08/20/06 07:09 AM Re: Madrid:English Speaking Tours?
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Speaking of such has anyone found any reasonably priced walking tours, the only ones I've looked at are outrageously priced. 150 to 300 euros for a 3 hour walking tour!!!!I would think a good walking tour would run about 25 to 30 euros a person max. I don't mind joining a group.

I've been looking at Julia Travel, her day Excursions are more reasonably priced. 50 to 75 for Segovia or Toledo.

#24102 - 08/20/06 10:39 AM Re: Madrid:English Speaking Tours?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
The City of Madrid gives inexpensive walking tours. I think Antonio detailed them somewhere on the message board.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24103 - 08/20/06 12:02 PM Re: Madrid:English Speaking Tours?
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Thanks, I remember hearing something about that, I'll have time this week to check it out. As well I found this Walks of Spain they offer a walking eating tour of Madrid (my kind of walking tour laugh ) at 49 euros quite reasonable. Don't know if I will have enough time to do it though. If I do I will report back

rob

#24104 - 08/22/06 05:34 AM Re: Madrid:English Speaking Tours?
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Tim Hortons Man, I seem to remember a recent post on a bad experience a message board member had with a Julia Tours, here´s the quote.

Quote:
Recently returned from Madrid where I signed up for a tour of Segovia with Julia Tours. The web site and tickets state that the tours from Madrid orginate at #68 Gran Via. We arrived at 8:40 for our 9:15 tour. There were about 10 people already there standing in front of the building with the #68 address. There was no sign or office for Julia tours which seemed unusual. But, the consenses was that the buses would stop at the street. Well, thats not the case. At about 9:05, a julia bus stopped about 50 yards down the street. I approached the driver to see if he was picking up people for the tours. He pointed out the Julia office which wasn't at #68 Gran Via, but was around the corner on a side street. The group hurried into the office. Everyone was told that they were to be at the office promptly at 9:00 and even though everyone was at the advertised address in plenty of time, they couldn't take the tours and they offered no refunds. A simple sign on the building pointing to the office around the corner would have solved the problem. Unfortunately, 10 people paying over 100 euros each, lost their deposits and ruined a day of their Holiday.
I´m not sure if this is the same as the Julia travel you are on about, but be careful just in case. By the way I have no personal experience of these tours.

#24105 - 08/24/06 08:45 AM Re: Madrid:English Speaking Tours?
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Can you chance provide the link, I did a search (like a good boy) but couldn't find it.

My brother and his wife are only here for a week and I was debating whether recomending they take a tour or go on thier own. The only problem with Segovia is getting from the train to the old city, took us about 30 mins, thankfully the car rental office had a map to the TI, we had to stop several times to ask for directions. Once your in the old city its easy to get around and coming home I suggusted bus rather than train.

I found the following link for walking tours around Madrid www.esmadrid.com walking tours are very very cheap under 5 euros.

Is the Madrid Card a good deal? Mark wants to see the following prado The palace and The thyssen art gallery and the centro de art reina Sofia (Picasso's Guernica) A 2 day pass ios 48 euros.

to answer your question, yes it is and that's good to know. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments