Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#24052 - 06/28/05 07:45 AM Review: Wonderful Santiago de Compostela!
Jess Offline

Just returned from one week in Santiago with some recommendations. There are several museums (free) worth seeing, even without understanding Spanish. The most unique is "Galiciadixital" near the Cathedral. It requires a guided tour and you may have to reserve a spot for a later time. The exhibits include a 3-D tour of some pilgrimage areas; simulated roller-coaster ride swooping into the Cathedral; aerial views of the province; etc. Very informative and fun. Another museum, Pobo Galego (folk), has exhibits on the crafts; fishing industry; music; dress; etc., of the region. Visitors can understand the exhibits even tho' the narrative is in the gallego language. Next-door is the Contemporary Art Museum which stays open all day and has a tiny cafe (lunch starts at 2 p.m.).
At night, try to hear the "tuna" (Spanish university tradition of medieval-dressed male students playing old instruments and singing)in the Cathedral square.
Regional foods/drink to try: "pimientos de Padron" (small green peppers salted and fried); octupus; Albarino wine.
There seems to be only one bus company with daily tours out of town; tours cost 43 Euros and include a large lunch. Good trips include the Rias (estuaries) and an inland tour including part of the pilgrimage route.
Lodging near the old quarter is worthwhile for the convenience. "Husa Universal" on the Plaza Galicia (one block from the historic district) is an adequate hotel; breakfast is included.
I took a train one day to the NW coastal city of La Coruna; the trip is less than one hour and the train is pleasant. I lacked the time and energy to explore much of the city, but climbing the "Torre [tower] de Hercules" (oldest lighthouse in Europe; a small entrance fee) gave a tremendous view and the nearby aquarium (10 Euros) was excellent.
The weather most certainly isn't as hot as in central and southern Spain. Be prepared for rain and cool, breezy evenings. Enjoy!

#24053 - 06/28/05 12:43 PM Re: Review: Wonderful Santiago de Compostela!
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Thanks Jess for the review. You have definitely made me interested in visiting Santiago de Compostela.

Bill

#24054 - 06/28/05 02:14 PM Re: Review: Wonderful Santiago de Compostela!
gregorio Offline

Loc: seattle
I went there for the first time in Feb and fell in love w/ this city.Its a little out of the way off the normal tourist rout, but I flew Iberia from Madrid for lik 17E each way. You only need 1 or 2 nights, but had a blast, great universtiy town, food, and well the catherdral has been bringing people for many years....well worth the trip.

#24055 - 06/30/05 05:34 AM Re: Review: Wonderful Santiago de Compostela!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Bill from NYC writes:
Quote:
Thanks Jess for the review. You have definitely made me interested in visiting Santiago de Compostela.
I've visited Santiago at least 8-times since '92. Most recently Jun 2004) I stayed at a Nosa Casa, a Hostal just inside the historic district, maybe 150m from the (2-star) Hotel Universal. I have stayed at the Parador and several times at Hostal Hogar San Francisco (a 'working' Franciscan convent about 200m from Plaza del Obradoiro).

In 2004 I spent half my time at a nearby coastal resort (VilaGarcia de Arousa and half in Santiago.

It's best to visit Santiago during a Jubilee Year (i.e., when 25 July is on a Sunday). That's when the Portico de Gloria remains open and one may experience the Botafumeiro ritual many times. 2004 was a Jubilee year for Santiago as was 1999: I visited Santiago for Religious reasons both those years.

But Santiago is also an important University town with many Facultades having their competing Tuna Universitaria. It's a fun place!

#24056 - 06/30/05 03:27 PM Re: Review: Wonderful Santiago de Compostela!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
By the way, if you're interested in making Santiago your airline terminus from other places in Europe, try Ryanair...they fly out of Stansted and prices start at 6 euros...they also fly into Leon, Valladolid, etc. Most of the small regional airports...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments