Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23630 - 02/15/05 03:50 PM Madrid: El rastro - worth the trip?
granada94 Offline

Loc: West Haven, CT
Anyone venture to the rastro on a Sunday morning? If so would love to hear if it's worth the trip. IN addition, how do you get there?

Thanks
Debbie

#23631 - 02/15/05 04:14 PM Re: Madrid: El rastro - worth the trip?
mmh166 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
I have been the rastro in a few cities in Spain... I am guessing you are referring to Madrid's. If you go, don't get your hopes up too high (I hate to sound cynical)... you'll see miles of vendor after vendor selling the same stuff... mostly cheap imported plastic toys, scarves, T shirts, bootleg CDs, etc. There's the occasional table of antiques or art, but you won't find incredible prices. I guess go for the experiece and maybe try some food but, as always, watch your wallet/camera.

#23632 - 02/15/05 05:19 PM Re: Madrid: El rastro - worth the trip?
granada94 Offline

Loc: West Haven, CT
Yes.. I was referring to the rastro in Madrid. Sounds like I better take that "if you've seen one, you've seen them all" attitude. Thanks for the input!

Debbie

#23633 - 02/15/05 05:47 PM Re: Madrid: El rastro - worth the trip?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
granada94, I've just updated your subject line to reflect the city location of your posting. smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#23634 - 02/15/05 10:28 PM Re: Madrid: El rastro - worth the trip?
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
I love going to the Rastro. It's just a lot of fun being there whether you buy anything or not and it's a great way to spend a Sunday morning. I've only bought inexpensive novelties and souvenirs there for friends and coworkers in the States. I took some digital pictures last November which I'd be happy to share with you. Just send me a private email and let me know.

#23635 - 02/16/05 04:50 AM Re: Madrid: El rastro - worth the trip?
Supertubbie Offline

Loc: Madrid
Once in a while we go to Rastro to. A friend from us is standing on the market and a lot of times they sell cheap plants ore interesting books. But it's true that you see a lot of stuff you see everywhere. I like the atmosphere and meeting my friends. But watch out for pichpockets it's filled with it.

#23636 - 02/16/05 08:49 AM Re: Madrid: El rastro - worth the trip?
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Granada,

The Madrid Raestro use to be something worth going too, but now it doesn't sell very interesting things, just cheap souvenirs and things you can find at any flea market in the U.S. I remember when they use to sell beautiful blankets and table clothes, paintings, antiques, etc. It was really something to see then. Also, it wasn't nearly as crowded or filled with crime as it is now.

The raestro in Torrejon happens every Wednesday morning, and though the selection of merchandise is more mundane, it isn't near as crowded or unsafe. It use to be held on the main drag, but now they have a special "fairground" area for it.

#23637 - 02/16/05 08:52 AM Re: Madrid: El rastro - worth the trip?
Jay Gantvoort Offline

Loc: Madrid via Seattle
Granada94, the easiest way to get there, is by Metro, I believe the stop is called "La Latina." The way I go, is that I go into the city and find my way to Plaza mayor. There are like 6 exit streets out of the plaza, by the one you take, there is a big "Inforamtion" sign above it. Another way to identify it, is if you look at the horse and rider in the middle of the square, the exit it to the back right of it. You take that exit and follow it and there is a small fork in the road, stay to the left (I accidently went to the right my second time). Its a good market but as the other fella from Madrid said, be carefull of oicket pocketers, we've already had four of our American co-workers lose theres. Also be ready for bumper-to-buper people, Its almost like a rock concert and you are constantly bumping into people. I haven't bought too much there, but everyone that comes to Madrid must experience it ones. And remember the hours, I think their hours are like 10AM-3PM.

#23638 - 02/16/05 11:43 AM Re: Madrid: El rastro - worth the trip?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
I live right at the beginning of the Rastro and walk through it quite a bit.

Map of the Rastro neighborhood

The main drag--Ribera de Curtidores--is as many above are describing. Lots of new clothes, cheap electronics and general new junk. On the left side of Curtidores there are several "corralas"--buildings with courtyards inside where there are some very impressive--and high end--antiques.

Most people visiting get swept up in the flow and don't make it to the more interesting parts...

But there are lots of little antique shops that spill out into the side streets between Calle de Toledo and Curtidores and between Curtidores and Embajadores--like Araganzuela, Mira el Rio Alta, Bastero, etc.

And if you live in Madrid and are looking for everyday stuff, the Rastro is good for DVDs, books, plants, electrical stuff, kitchen stuff, etc. It's also one of the only places you can shop on a Sunday--unless it's the first Sunday of the month. Things start to wind down at 2:00 and by 3:00 everything is gone and the streets are hosed down.

The best stop to get off on is the La Latina metro stop on line 5. If you want to skip the throngs of people on Curtidores, you can walk down Toledo and go down the small back streets that are off to the left. The Puerta de Toledo stop is at the end of the Rastro (at the bottom of a big hill).

But the best part about the Rastro is hanging out afterwards... Everyone congregates around Plaza del Humilladero, Cava Baja, Almendro, Plaza de la Paja... having drinks, tapas, and a leisurely lunch.

About security: I've walked through the Rastro countless times and have never been pick-pocketed. Most people coming from elsewhere have never been in a crowd quite like this one.

It's the ultimate distraction and so a small minority of skilled thieves take advantage. I would urge tourists not to carry a purse or backpack. Keep your money in a front pocket or on your person where you can easily guard it.If you bring a camera, hold it in your hand at all times with a strap around your wrist/arm/neck. Don't carry your passport with you, if you can help it (everyone who asks for ID with a credit card will accept an American drivers license).

#23639 - 02/16/05 12:17 PM Re: Madrid: El rastro - worth the trip?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments