Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23055 - 06/08/04 09:36 AM zones of madrid
aeking3 Offline

Loc: U.S.A
Can someone please shed some light on Madrid zones and GOOD places to live. I am moving there and am trying to gather as much as I can! I canīt seem to find a web site or place that gives me detailed information about places to live! I am young and want a youing fun place to live! I hate to compare it to NYC but was thinking of Gramercy Park Area...Lower East Side...I heard maybe Bilboa or Salamanca...or LAvapies were good places?? I am not sure! thanks and look forward to hearing from you soon.

cheers,
-a.

#23056 - 06/08/04 11:55 AM Re: zones of madrid
ajgMadrid Offline

Loc: madrid
a.
I would not suggest living in Lavapies. I had a friend who lived there and he had some problems with violence after dark. I donīt want to scare you away from the area---which is very hip and fun, but there are a few problems there between the chinese and the morrocans. Definitly do visit it! Actually, there are some decent areas around Plaza Mayor---for not a bad price if you donīt mind a small flat. Around Sol is always a good bet as well. These two places are close to a lot of great clubs and the center of the city. Another area to check out is La Latina which is only a short walk from Plaza Mayor and Sol--also a great night life and Rastro on Sundays.
Good luck!!!
ajg

#23057 - 06/09/04 05:30 AM Re: zones of madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
aeking3, at least in Madrid, it's hard to combine "Young" and "Fun" in the same area because the "Fun" areas are SO EXPENSIVE to live in that it's not even FUNny. wink They're expensive because they're often the OLDEST parts of Madrid but have some of the best nightlife.

As mentioned above, sections of La Latina are quite vibrant. Madrid de los Asturias area south of the Royal Palace and across the Calle de Segovia is a particularly favorite area of mine - nice and old and lots of cool bars/restaurants.

Also as mentioned above, Lavapies is a (relatively) MUCH cheaper area, also very charismatic in OLD Madrid but not at all particularly nice/safe as compared to other areas of Madrid.

Barrio Salamanca is quite quite nice, VERY VERY VERY expensive (mainly just houses) but not particularly interesting and little (if any) nightlife. This area is for rich dignitaries, politicians, and businessmen who commute everywhere by car from their garages. It's also a long walk to the FUN areas of Madrid.

Anyone else have suggestions? Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#23058 - 06/09/04 06:59 PM Re: zones of madrid
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
That's interesting, because compared to the East Coast (I live in DC), the places that I've found for rent in the "centro" (Sol/Embajadores/Callao) area look really affordable compared to the insanity that you now find here. You can actually find 2BR places for under 1000 Euros a month, which would be a total impossibility here. I guess it's all relative...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments