Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22913 - 05/07/04 04:07 PM Andalucia - things to do and see outside the Big Three
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hello, all,

I am working on planning a family trip to Southern Spain to check out the main historical sites (Roman, Arab, Jewish and Christian) but I'd also like to include some really interesting, fun activities like horsebacking riding, seeing prehistoric cave paintings, going to the beach, visiting a nature reserve, etc. I'd also love to work in a visit to a really cool archaeological site that both the kids and the adults would find interesting. (I'm embarrassed to say that after living in Spain for so many years I know little about Andalucia - we tend to always head north of Madrid!)

So far I'm considering Vejer de la Frontera as a base for at least part of the trip. Sevilla, Granada and Cordoba are musts and are a done deal, and I would love to fit in Merida, but I wonder if anyone knows of someplace not so far from Andalucia that has good Roman ruins.

Does anyone have any ideas about a good base for visiting these places so we don't have to change hotels so often? Someplace that isn't too rural, though - maybe a town that has some activities we could get involved in. Any place or activity that is really worthwhile but isn't always part of the standard Andalucia tour? The La Pileta Cave sounds interesting - has anyone been?

Thanks for any thoughts and recommendations!

#22914 - 05/11/04 07:04 PM Re: Andalucia - things to do and see outside the Big Three
carlos11 Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
Diana,
Not too far from your home base is the small town of Bolonia. You can check out the Roman ruins of Baelo Claudia. The town of Bolonia has a lovely beach area,plus good eats. Good luck!
Carlos11

#22915 - 05/13/04 02:57 PM Re: Andalucia - things to do and see outside the Big Three
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you thinking of daytripping to Sevilla, Granada, and Cordoba from Vejer? If so, it might be less tiring to switch hotels a couple of times than to spend so much time in the car. You don't say how much time you will be there. Maybe a few days in Granada and then on the Sevilla. Italica, the local Roman ruins are 15 minutes outside of the city and the Archeological Museum in Sevilla is outstanding. (I am also a big fan of Merida, and it defiinitely merits the trip.) Vejer de la Frontera and Cordoba are easy day trips from Sevilla. Or, if you want more time at the beach, you could stay in hotels in Granada, Sevilla and Vejer. Even with kids, you don't want to miss late dinners and strolling the streets in Sevilla. If you don't have kids, you don't want to miss the nightlife.

#22916 - 05/13/04 03:31 PM Re: Andalucia - things to do and see outside the Big Three
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
As others have said, Bolonia is worth checking out, and you certainly shouldn't miss Italica a ten-minute drive from Sevilla nor the museum in Sevilla itself. Half an hour from Sevilla you have the charming town of Carmona with a spectacular Roman Necropolis. You seem to be into ruins (me too) so check out the ruins of Medina Azahara, a summer palace and city complex from the Moorish periodIt's just outside Cordoba.
I've been to the Cueva you mentioned near Ronda. It's worth a trip. You get to see lots of cave art and its quite an adventure. It's still owned and run by a family and you have to carry little gas lamps, It's scary in the fun way that kids love.

#22917 - 05/18/04 02:26 PM Re: Andalucia - things to do and see outside the Big Three
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Thank you all so much for these wonderful tips - they are exactly what I was hoping for! They help me so much with figuring out what to do. I'm thrilled about the cave - so great to hear from someone who has been there!

For clarification, we will spend quality time in the cities, and will probably stay in them as well. There is so much information about the cities - I was really looking for information on places a bit off the beaten track, and you all came through beautifully! We have 2 weeks of time, but a 1 week budget, so we'll see how it all works out and how the exchange rate treats us. My big job is balancing all the cultural and historical activities with fun adventure-type activities.

Again, thanks! I'll share anything new that may come up, and will continue to welcome any more suggestions.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2398 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments