Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22527 - 01/25/04 02:39 PM 1st trip to madrid
D2 Offline

Loc: new york, ny
what are the three 'must do/see's for a 1st visit to madrid? i've got three days and three nights..

#22528 - 01/25/04 02:51 PM Re: 1st trip to madrid
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Check out the Rick Steves' Spain and Portugal (travel guide book found in libraries and all the bookstores) and then decide what works best for you. I like it because it is a good overview, quick, simple and to the point. There is much to see and I really enjoy just walking around. I have done a tour with Stephen Drake Jones as well .... very interesting. Do a search and you will find lots of info on this site.

#22529 - 01/25/04 03:07 PM Re: 1st trip to madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
At first blush I'd say the Museo del Prado the Palacio Real and a walking tour from Plaza de Opera (or Oriente) to the Plaza Mayor and Old Madrid. You could end at the Corte Ingles Department store in the Puerta del Sol.

But it depends on what three days of the week you are talking about. If one of your days is a Sunday you could spend a few hours in Retiro Park with the Musicians & Mimes (kind of like Washington Sq. Park in NYC or the steps of the Metrolitan Museum of Art in NYC on a Sunday).

A lot of people would steer you to el Rastro (Madrid's fleamarket) on a Sunday but I don't think you'll find any bargains or Treasures there. If you're there during midweek you might consider a daytrip to Toledo or Segovia.

#22530 - 01/29/04 04:10 PM Re: 1st trip to madrid
JohnH Offline

Loc: London
D2, suggst you wander the tapas bars at night and just get in the swing of it.

Day time suggest usual tourist places, don't miss Reigne Sophia (sp?) MOM including numerous efforts by the boy Picasso.

Also strongly recommend you try and take in a game of footie (thats soccer to you) at Real or Athletico. Real are comfortably the biggest and most successful club in the world, and have a stadium to match. Athletico are the 3rd best supported team in Spain. Great way to see the locals at play either way.

#22531 - 02/03/04 05:21 PM Re: 1st trip to madrid
D2 Offline

Loc: new york, ny
thanks so much. i'm so excited. I am leaving the day after tomorrow, and think i have a good idea of what to do/where to go. gracias.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments