Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#215 - 07/28/00 02:28 PM Madrid - Plaza Mayor - night life
mimijac Offline

Hi, I would like to know how is the night life aroud Plaza Mayor and Plaza Santa Cruz ? Can anyone help ?

My husband and I want to stay at an hostal in the area (hostal Montalvo) but we also want it to be calm past midnight !!!

Merci

#216 - 07/28/00 02:32 PM Re: Madrid - Plaza Mayor - night life
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
having anything calm past midnight in spain is going to be tricky and hard to find! things don't get started till after 1:00am, people eat dinner at 11:00/midnight. I don't know of any quiet places at night, but i'm sure more people will respond with more helpful info! Have fun! Try to stay out at least once past midnight in Madrid, you 'll be missing the best part if you don't!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#217 - 07/28/00 02:51 PM Re: Madrid - Plaza Mayor - night life
mimijac Offline

Thanks missmadrid,

We know that Madrid is a place for nightowls!!! And we will go out for sure past midnight... It's just that we don't want to stay in or right in front of a place full of partying student !

We live in a city that has a lot of tourism (Québec city) and know that things can get out of hands !

thanks again

#218 - 07/28/00 02:52 PM Re: Madrid - Plaza Mayor - night life
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
missmadrid98 is correct. I think the biggest complaint I hear about Madrid is that it can be difficult to get a good night's sleep, particularly in hostels/hostales because they are often poorly insulated and rooms often face busy streets or are near bars. But then, this describes about 99% of Madrid now doesn't it. I think only the bigger hotels (the higher, the better) will give you a quiet night...unless you're facing the Gran Vía.

Anything around the Plaza Mayor will be no exception. It will be busy in this area. There's only one hostel/hostal next to the Plaza Mayor which has a website, Hostal Macarena , and you can't reserve via email - only by phone/fax.

Plaza Santa Cruz....? Hmmm... Do you mean Plaza Santa Ana maybe? I'm not familiar with Plaza Santa Cruz. If you mean Plaza Santa Ana (not far from Plaza Mayor) then this place is HOPPING until dawn. In fact, I received an email from one person recently who had a hotel on the Plaza Santa Ana and they complained of traffic, bar noise, and shouting pedestrians in the early early morning hours.

Some hostels/hostales in the area around Plaza Santa Ana would include Hostal Lopez, Dulcinea, Martin/Cervelo, and a few others. You can find their links and others on MadridMan's Madrid Hostels page.

Have a great time in Madrid and be sure to come back here and tell us all about it, including where you decided to stay. Afterall, YOUR experiences help ALL of us.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#219 - 07/28/00 03:46 PM Re: Madrid - Plaza Mayor - night life
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
The quietest, cheapest and best mini-apts I have stayed in over the years are in the barrio de Salamanca. Their website never works, but it used to be www.madridaparto-rent.com or something. They are located at Ayala 30, Lagasca ?? and General pardinas ??. They always advertise in El Pais. Someone from Spain maybe can give us the #s? You stay a minimum of 3 days, and get SPACE and kitchenette and QUIET. rgf

CORRECTED WEB: www.rentapto-madrid.com

These are really cheap places if you are going to stay 3 days minimum, want quiet AND the chance to eat meals in your room.

[This message has been edited by rgf (edited 07-29-2000).]

#220 - 07/28/00 07:05 PM Re: Madrid - Plaza Mayor - night life
mimijac Offline

Thanks everyone,

I guess my spanish is as bad as my english (i'm french speaking!!!). What i meant is not Plaza Santa Cruz, but Palacio Santa Cruz... sorry for the confusion! The hostal i'm thinking about is called Montalvo and is situated on Zaragoza (a pedestrian only street).

All my hostal references come from a French book called ''Le routard''. They are really good for they usually tell you if the place is noisy, clean etc... My concern is that most internet sites are in English and I rarely find comments concerning hostals recommended in the book i use...

Anyway, i'll keep you posted on where i finally stay and how it was!

Thanks for eveything !!!

#221 - 07/29/00 07:23 AM Re: Madrid - Plaza Mayor - night life
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Plaza de Santa Cruz does exist in Madrid. I stayed there in 1976. There is a hostal there today called Perla Asturiana (Ok, the name might me slightly incorrect, but it is close.) The plaza is not far from Plaza Mayor. You need a very good map to locate it.

#222 - 07/29/00 07:39 AM Re: Madrid - Plaza Mayor - night life
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi mimijack,

I couldn't leave this thread without saying that Hostal Chelo is recommended by "Le Guide du Routard"

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
zurra, Computist, ChrisJL3471, bong leal70, traveler2020
7775 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MsWebWyz, November
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1259 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments