Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21891 - 04/14/03 08:54 PM Zaragoza
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
We are planning a short (1 week) vacation in Spain at the end of May and want to do 1 city and it's surroundings then come back to Madrid for the last 3-4 days. Zaragoza is a possibilty due to there being an old acquaintance in that area.So any and all info on this town and it's surrounding area will be greatly appreciated. We love art and architecture but would also like some opportunities for some hiking and more rural sights though I'm not interested in packing alot of heavy clothes if that would be required toward the Pyrenees. Thanks in advance.

#21892 - 04/15/03 05:04 AM Re: Zaragoza
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Three words: Monasterio de Piedra.

#21893 - 04/15/03 06:17 AM Re: Zaragoza
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Fuendetodos - birthplace of Francisco de Goya y Lucientes: there is also a small museum there.

Catedral de La Virgen del Pilar in Zaragoza with frescos painted by that same Aragones and if possible, try to find some place in or around Zaragoza to see & enjoy Jotas Aragonesas rolleyes

#21894 - 04/15/03 03:43 PM Re: Zaragoza
SoriaEsp Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Okay so my name gives this place away. There is a small city north east of Madrid called Soria. It is old Castille. You said that you were looking for a place to go hiking and with a lot of historical background. This City is quite old, place Hiking is one of the biggest past times. The place to stay is at the Parador Nacional de Antonio Machado. It is on top of the hill that over looks the city and next to the ruined castle. 7 km away is Numancia. It is an archiolical site from celtic and roman times. At night the city has the Madrid Movida. You can walk almost anywhere. There are also a bunch of pre-historic and paleontological sites around. And of course, many castles.

#21895 - 04/20/03 08:31 AM Re: Zaragoza
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Ufff! I have a little bit more time today to write about this subject. I had to write my earlier post very quickly because I was heading to....you guessed it, Zaragoza for the Easter break. smile
Apart from 'La Basílica del Pilar', which is essential, the Virgin of El Pilar (the pillar) is the Patron Saint of all the 'Hispanidad' (Hispanic world, I guess you could call it); you must visit the nearby 'La Seo', and the moorish 'Aljafería'.

Besides that, I can think of a must-not-miss place, if you're into delicious ice-cream, try the Helados Italianos chain (several locations); they're 100% natural and gooood!, and I'm not saying this only because their tutti-frutti flavored one was one of the best things about my childhood! :p
If you're not "veggies" (and by that I mean 'vegetarianos'), you should eat, while there and at least once, 'ternasco de Aragón' (Aragón being the region where Zaragoza is located). Right Shawn? wink .Also, there is a typical vegetable there called 'borrajas', I personally find them delicious, it's too bad it's extremely hard find here in Madrid (apart from El Corte Inglés rolleyes ), and when you do, it's pricey and not good quality.

I'm not so sure you'd have to pack up a lot of heavy clothes if you headed up for Jaca, for example, in the 'Pirineos'; rather some heavy blankets in your beds at night. eek laugh

Enjoy!!!

P.S.: Do buy some 'longaniza' there too, I can't say "bring home some...." because it's a pork product, so I seriously doubt that you could. I'm glad I have,....I'm savouring it as I write!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments