Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21471 - 12/08/02 05:54 AM Cadiz magic?
totil@totil.com Offline

Loc: Reykjavik
Has anyone been in Cadiz city recently? I was there in 1985 for Christmas and loved it. All those tiny streets and plazas and cafe con leche in milk glasses. I was sleeping on the beach on Christmas night. I was 19 and a streetpainter back then. I wonder if things have changed. Or if my taste has changed to much. For instance I have given up smoking chocolate or drinking cerveza for many years now. I am planing to take my wife there for Christmas but we will stay in a pension or hostal of course smile Any thoughts? Has Cadiz still got the magic?

#21472 - 12/08/02 09:43 AM Re: Cadiz magic?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I last visited Cadiz in July, 2002 just as the Summer season was starting (16 Jul: Virgen de Carmen). It's still a very charming, bustling port city but I found prices there significantly higher than over in Huelva. eek

I expect it may be the same around Christmas because many people spend the Holidays there.
The old part of the city is still intact but there's been a lot of high-rise condominium-type (and resort hotel) construction along the coast just north of the city. rolleyes

disclaimer: My evaluation is based on a one-day visit (on the ferry) from el Puerto de Santa Maria where I was staying for a week. cool

#21473 - 12/08/02 11:35 AM Re: Cadiz magic?
totil@totil.com Offline

Thanks Eddie. I remember being told that Huelva was a poverty stricken region when I went through iby train in 85. Perhaps that explains lower prices?

#21474 - 12/22/02 09:42 PM Re: Cadiz magic?
juiceg Offline

Loc: Wilmington, DE USA
I was in beautiful Cadiz one weekend four years ago (in college). A definite highlight of my abroad. Nightlife was quiet. Stayed pretty cheap in a nice hostel. Daily items were still relatively cheap. Wish I could go back!

#21475 - 12/23/02 02:28 AM Re: Cadiz magic?
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I really like Cadiz. Since we have been in Sevilla, we have made several day trips there and, yes, it is still very charming. I can't speak to prices for accomodations, but I can't imagine Cadiz is a high-rent district. Have a great Christmas!

#21476 - 01/19/03 12:17 PM Re: Cadiz magic?
totil@totil.com Offline

Cadiz was the best!

#21477 - 01/19/03 04:04 PM Re: Cadiz magic?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Please tell us more!

#21478 - 01/19/03 08:39 PM Re: Cadiz magic?
totil@totil.com Offline

karenwishart. Cadiz is worth every minute.
The seaside around the half-island of the old city reminds many people of Havana, Cuba. (Not that I have ever been in Cuba myself) The newer section of Cadiz on the other hand has a beautiful long clean beach. The people are friendly. The tourism is moderate and native. The food is good and cheap. I could go on like this for hours. We stayed at the "Centro Sol" pension in the old city. Very nice smile

#21479 - 01/20/03 04:22 AM Re: Cadiz magic?
ChrisS Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
ahhhh cadiz. The first time I was there was two years ago durin carnival.(late feb but changes every year) Carnival in cadiz is a sight to see and not to mention cadiz is one big beatiful beach. I also met my best spainish friends(madrilenos) that i still have to this date.

Cadiz-not tobe missed

ciao

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments