Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21226 - 09/28/02 08:56 PM "if you could go anywhere in spain, where would you go?"
marisa4444 Offline

Loc: nyc
Hi everyone...my mom (Esperanza) just asked me very casually "if we could go anywhere in Spain next summer, where would you want us to go?". Well, i don't have an answer yet! I was wondering what everyones opinions were. I am completely open to any suggestions. This is such a hard decision and I just can't decide. HELP!

#21227 - 09/28/02 09:38 PM Re: "if you could go anywhere in spain, where would you go?"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
GALICIA!!!!!!!!! Or at least somewhere in the north of Spain where it's cooler. (I'm smitten with Galicia now!) You could easily spend 2 weeks traveling around this "Green Spain" seeing all its little villages, seaside and mountainside villages, and some cities, lots of coastline, hórreos, beautiful forests, lots of history, GREAT wine and GREAT seafood, and wow..... it's JUST SO beautiful!!!!

For summer, I'd stay away from central and the southern half of Spain unless you like Arizona-like climate. Every summer my ladyfriend, una madrileña, goes to Cantabria (on Spain's north coast) to a village near Santander where these months are much cooler.

Ahhh.. Galicia... Can't wait to go back but that will have to wait, I guess, 'til I visit Cantabria.

Saludos, MadridMan cool

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21228 - 09/28/02 09:48 PM Re: "if you could go anywhere in spain, where would you go?"
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I second MadridMan, Galicia would be a wonderful place to visit in the summer time! You can visit the beautiful castle of Ponferrada, then go on to your very own pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela! There you will be enchanted by a truly beautiful medieval city center, where people have been traveling to for many centuries.

Then take the coast road and pass through a myriad of seaside towns to Coruña, where you can visit the Roman tower of Hercules, and then you can take the FEVE train, that member Eddie is always recommending a narrow gauge train and ride towards Asturias one of the Greenest places on Spain!

My son (17) and I are planning his second trip, and we are going to León, Asturias, Cantabria, Pais Vasco this time. We went to Galicia last time.

Regardless of where you go Marisa, keep a journal, that you can read over the years.

Enjoy your trip to Spain!

#21229 - 09/29/02 11:23 AM Re: "if you could go anywhere in spain, where would you go?"
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Galicia is great, but I also love Pais Vasco! laugh

#21230 - 09/30/02 06:04 AM Re: "if you could go anywhere in spain, where would you go?"
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Marisa writes:
Quote:
...my mom ... just asked me very casually "if we could go anywhere in Spain next summer, where would you want us to go?"... I was wondering what everyones opinions were. I am completely open to any suggestions. This is such a hard decision and I just can't decide.
Does this mean your plans to do the Camino are postponed? I love Galicia; but would probably 'opt' for Cantabria (Santander) because of its white sandy beaches, mountains and the people. They speak castellano very, very fast there. Day-trips from Santander might include Bilbao, Santillana del Mar, Comillas, Liebana y los Picos de Europa, maybe even San Sebastian de Garabandal and/or Limpias (Cristo de Limpias) which one may reach from Santander on Ferrocaril Español de Via Estrecha (FEVE).
But if you haven't spent time there yet, Madrid is nice for 4 or 5 days (Day trips to Segovia, Toledo, San Lorenzo de Escorial); Barcelona and Sevilla can be nice places to visit for a few days each. It all depends on your motives: vacation or sightseeing? Whichever, you'll enjoy it.

#21231 - 09/30/02 11:24 AM Re: "if you could go anywhere in spain, where would you go?"
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Marissa - you and your Mom might want to contact Jo-Anne, (or search posts for traveling with kids - I know other members have traveled with kids also) as she travels to Spain with the youngsters during the summers. When you find members that spend time in wonderful Spain with thier families - you might want to email them, find out the ages of the respective kids - and then get in touch via email with someone around your age and discuss the matter.
Know you will have a wonderful time!!!!

#21232 - 10/01/02 06:34 PM Re: "if you could go anywhere in spain, where would you go?"
esq Offline

Loc: miami,fl
Maybe MadridMan should also be GallegoMan!!!!! Viva Galicia!

#21233 - 10/05/02 11:41 AM Re: "if you could go anywhere in spain, where would you go?"
marisa4444 Offline

Loc: nyc
thanx everyone! We are still not sure if we are going to do the camino, but its still a possibility! Most of our family is from Galicia and still live there, so we went last summer to visit them...I LOVED Galicia more than anywhere else we went...I was SO suprised that MadridMan said GALICIA and NOT MADRID!!! laugh thanx for your ideas!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments