Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#20292 - 02/19/02 04:37 PM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Thanks to all again.

I think I was temporarily insane yesterday at lunch. Too much stress and decision making at work was clouding my vacation judgement :o

I think I'll agree with Esparanza that option #2 with 4 nights in Santiago and 3 in the Rias Bajas is the way to go. Now I've got to figure out if I want to spend all 3 nights in one place in the Rias Bajas or 2 and 1 and then where do I stay in the (Vigo, Pontevedra, Tui, Baiona.........). Do I dare solicit even more great advice laugh ?

Eddie - Thanks for the information on the train, hotel and festival.

If it wasn't for this board it would be difficult to plan this trip - not as much information readily available compared to my trip in October. smile

#20293 - 03/09/02 08:51 PM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
nevado Offline

Here's an informative website on the rias baixas.

http://www.riasbaixas.org/html/us/0/index.shtml

There are links to the local festivals, pictures, and rural tourism- lot's of info.

#20294 - 03/10/02 09:05 AM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
CathyM writes:
Quote:
... Now I've got to figure out if I want to spend all 3 nights in one place in the Rias Bajas or 2 and 1 and then where do I stay in the (Vigo, Pontevedra, Tui, Baiona.........). Do I dare solicit even more great advice ?
That's what we're here for, Cathy. One year ('98, I believe), we found a weekend special at the 4-star Bahia Vigo (an Hotel right at the Port of Vigo). The 'special' (available until 31 May) is for 2-people, 2-weekend nights and it includes full buffet breakfast. I don't remember exactly how much it cost: less than most 4-star hotels including Playa Samil. We had an 8th floor ria-front room with balcony. Ask for Señor Ballesteros. There's a Travel Agency on the street in the Hotel building. They may be able to fix you up with a tour (or the Hotel Concierge might help).
More recently (year '99) I stayed at 3-star Hotel America, about 300m from the Bahia Vigo, just off the Plaza de Compostela. The only reason it is not a 4-star is that it doesn't have a full service restaurant.
If you want some ethnic revitalization, you can find it in a nightclub called Dublin (in Vigo). From the Renfe station, walk right, past the Hostal de la Estación, cross the street and go down the first street on your left. You'll see it on your right. Part of the Chieftains' Santiago album was recorded there. laugh

#20295 - 03/28/02 04:07 PM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Thought I'd update everyone on my trip plans and see if anyone can offer up any more excellent advice wink :

A friend of mine was able to arrange a week off work and she'll be joining me on this trip. laugh laugh laugh

She doesn't mind driving (as long as I navigate wink ) so we'll be renting a car (like many of you suggested).

I'm so excited and keep looking for Madridman posts in his journal since he's visiting Galicia this week.

#20296 - 03/28/02 08:39 PM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Now that you'll have a car for this trip, are you driving from Madrid to Galicia? We did it last year, takes about 6 to 7 hours. A great place to stop exactly on the way is Astorga. It has some interesting Gaudi architecture, a chocolate museum and just enough interesting stuff to make for a worthwhile few hours break or overnight stop. Or, you could go 45 minutes out of your way to see the Leon Cathedral, which is spectacular. That could also be done as a few hours stop--we did exactly that on our way back from Galicia to Madrid. Enjoy!

#20297 - 03/28/02 10:13 PM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

We'll be flying from Madrid to Vigo mainly due to the fact that the trip is only for 7 nights and I absolutely hate the thought of spending 7 hours on the road after the flights. frown

I'm also going to have quite an adventure getting there by air. I'm flying on a pass so I have to go stand-by. The way it works out I'll end up taking a red eye one night from LA then the night night flying from NY to Madrid. In all I'll have to "visit" 6 airports before I make it to Vigo. eek

#20298 - 08/16/02 09:19 PM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
CathyM, I know you've already taken your trip throughout Galicia but thought this would be the best place to post the link to my Galicia photos taken during Semana Santa 2002. You'll see about 400 photos of that trip HERE in my ClubPhoto account. Sorry that the photos aren't labeled yet, but will do that in time. Hope it brings back many happy memories for you, CathyM! Photos inclde Astorga, Leon, Santiago de Compostela, Cabo de Fisterra, Cambados, Noia, Sanxenxo, Tui, Barca Portugal, and many others. Enjoy!!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments