Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20237 - 01/28/02 04:28 PM Professional musicians in Spain
Jimmy Offline

Loc: Athens, GA
Hey everyone -

I was wondering if anyone has an idea as to what cities would be an ideal choice for a musician to make a living. After playing all over the States for a while, I'm considering relocating to Spain for a while to do the same. I'm mainly into flamenco, salsa, and jazz. Anyone know? Thanks in advance for the response!

smile

-- Jimmy
The information contained in this post is my opinion and mine alone - actually, it isn't mine, really, and should be scrapped along with all the other lame posts I make on this or any other forum or on any email sent out by me. As a matter of fact, I should be put to sleep.

#20238 - 01/28/02 04:40 PM Re: Professional musicians in Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, Jimmy--
A good friend of mine spent 8 years in Spain, playing violin for a symphony orchestra in Valladolid. So it can be done, though I don't know whether it's harder or easier to go as a non-classical musician.

What's your training? To be blunt, how good are you (don't be modest!)? And how long can you manage to survive over there, lugging your stuff from gig to gig with little pay? If you have some money tucked away, you're likely to be in better shape than if you don't and have to find paid gigs right off the bat.

And how's your Spanish? I wonder whether there's a market for non-Spanish flamenco musicians? Or is that a closed club? As for jazz, I'm curious...what style (and what instrument do you play)?

And you don't happen to be a GA Bulldog, do you? (Go GATORS!) :p

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: taravb ]

#20239 - 01/28/02 04:52 PM Re: Professional musicians in Spain
Jimmy Offline

Hey there - thanks for the quick reply!

I've got a bit saved up now and will have a few months of play time before I start becoming concerned about money. As far as my skills go, I've been playing since I was about 5 and have played with many noteworthy people (don't know if you've heard of either John Scofield or Derek Trucks - I've played with both) in the U.S.; in other words, without trying to toot my own horn too loudly laugh I'm no amateur.

Oh yeah, my Spanish. I've got two years under my belt here and am studying now with a tutor. I'm currently working on being able to discuss musical concepts with other musicians.

Thanks again, and I look forward to replies.

-- Jimmy

P.S. No, I'm a Nittany Lion, but I root for the 'Dogs whenever they play here.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Jimmy ]
The information contained in this post is my opinion and mine alone - actually, it isn't mine, really, and should be scrapped along with all the other lame posts I make on this or any other forum or on any email sent out by me. As a matter of fact, I should be put to sleep.

#20240 - 01/28/02 05:14 PM Re: Professional musicians in Spain
Guapetona Offline

I don't know if this is any real help but I would say try Populart in Madrid for work.
Cafe Jazz Populart

#20241 - 01/28/02 07:26 PM Re: Professional musicians in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Jimmy!

If you are skilled in flamenco wouldn't the logical "place to be" in Andalucía? There's a higher concentration, and probably much more competition, of flamenco musicians in the cities of Sevilla, Córdoba, and Granada, but I suppose that's because "THAT'S where the money is"?! I know they have flamenco shows in Barcelona but to me this seems a little odd. And how 'bout in Galicia!? Has anyone/Eddie ever seen flamenco in Galicia or other locales in northern Spain?

As for Salsa, the cities first come to mind like Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, and Salamanca. I know that Salsa is popular in Madrid for sure, but can't say with certainty of the others.

Thing is, and in your favor, there is likely LOTS of illegal/cash work to be done in the music field in Spain. First, of course, you'll have to establish your niche or make friends with some of the local bar owners which have live music.

Wow. I'm envious. I'd think if you're skilled in these kinds of music you'd do well in Spain in general. And get this! When I go to Madrid in spring I expect to BRING BACK with me a Spanish guitar (my ladyfriend has TWO of them!) and hope/expect to take lessons and learn to play a little flamenco guitar. WOW. That would be toooooo cool. cool

Good luck to you, Jimmy. I really do envy you. smile

Saludos, MadridMan (STILL in Columbus, Ohio, USA rolleyes )

P.S. I'm a little "chatty" tonight because I'm on my 2nd... hmmm or 3rd glass of Spanish wine, un tinto, called Tinto León (a table wine). Cheap, but gooooood. :p

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#20242 - 01/29/02 08:40 AM Re: Professional musicians in Spain
Jimmy Offline

Hey Madridman -

I was on a Mediterranean tour with a group that included a Flamenco guitarist (we were a classic rock band at the time, and we had another, more fun Flamenco project on the side) and our last destination in the tour was Cadiz. Unfortunately, I was not around long enough to get an opinion of the music scene for professionals, but my guitarist was there long enough to buy a BEAUTIFUL walnut-top nylon-string classical guitar that he immediately traded his Ovation for. What we learned was that if you bring over an American-made guitar, Fender for instance, you should get a really good price for it when you sell it, or you may be able to trade it outright for the guitar of your choice (or guitars? sounds to me like you may be coming back with more than one). If you're serious about Flamenco, I may be able to find a Flamenco guitar teacher in your area.

Anyway, thanks again for the response. Finding a good market to play is tough, in that there's a fine line between markets saturated with musicians and markets with little or no opportunity to play. My plan is to start in Barcelona and work my way South until I find what I'm looking for.

Take care -

-- Jimmy

#20243 - 01/29/02 08:45 AM Re: Professional musicians in Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
MadridMan writes:
Quote:
I know they have flamenco shows in Barcelona but to me this seems a little odd. And how 'bout in Galicia!? Has anyone/Eddie ever seen flamenco in Galicia or other locales in northern Spain?

There are many Gypsies in Barcelona and some of the best Flamenco performers (la Chunga, for example) and classical guitarists (Andres Segovia) call Barcelona home. I have not seen a Tablao Flamenco in Cantabria, Principality of Asturias or Galicia although I have seen ads in el Diario (edición Montañes) for night clubs featuring Flamenco performances. In Spain, anywhere you find tourists you are likely to find Flamenco. cool

In Santander (Cantabria)in the summer months Street performers are out on c/Burgos (about a 200m 'pedestrian walk') beginning around 8:00 PM every night. Last July I saw an excellent classical guitarist performing there and playing some Flamenco. There was also a 40's style (Tommy Dorsey & Glenn Miller) 'jazz' group playing tunes from that era (almost all 'brass'), an Equadorian (or Peruvian) group that always seemed to take the spot at the east end of the calle, and several others. rolleyes

In el Retiro in late January, 2000, my wife almost cried when we heard a Cantaor de Flamenco singing; 'Una Niña se Perdió.' rolleyes

According to my calculations, Sevilla's Biennial Festival de Flamenco will be held this year beginning around September 5th. If nothing else, you might be able to learn a few 'moves' there, assuming that you play classical Guitar. rolleyes
I, for one, have always wanted to master the art of the cantaor; but my wife says: 'tendrias que nacer otra vez!' eek

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments