Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20133 - 01/11/02 04:45 AM North-South-East or West of Spain?
hombre_gizon Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi!.

In most of the messages I've read, the foreigners that come to Spain want to visit cities in the South of Spain: Granada, Sevilla, Córdoba.

They also visit Salamanca, Toledo, Segovia and Ávila because these cities are near Madrid, and Madrid is the main destination.

Just a little percent ask about northern cities or places (San Sebastián, Pamplona, Logroño, Hondarribia, Bilbao, Santander, Los Picos de Europa, Llanes, etc), and almost nobody about Cáceres, Mérida, Badajoz, El valle del Hertel...

Why?. confused
Because these cities are worse comunicated with Madrid?. mad
Because there is less turistic information about these cities?. mad
Because of the weather in the north of Spain?. mad

Thanks!.

#20134 - 01/11/02 06:01 AM Re: North-South-East or West of Spain?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Maybe it's because the region is called Extremadura? rolleyes

#20135 - 01/11/02 07:56 AM Re: North-South-East or West of Spain?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Well, I think the answer is very simple. I bet when you travel to the USA for example, for a holiday, you're more likely to visit places such us N.Y., L.A., Washington, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami, etc, etc, etc, than cities (interesting ones I'm sure) like Detroit, Tulsa, Des Moines, Atlanta, or Sacramento

#20136 - 01/11/02 10:50 AM Re: North-South-East or West of Spain?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I agree with pim; it really is the case that there is simply a lot to see in Spain, and one has to start somewhere. Assuming that we have limited funds and time, we occasional visitors can only see a bit at a time. I've been to Spain 4 times so far, and have only glimpsed a few of the less-traveled cities you mention. Even though many Spain-visitors come back again and again, some just visit once or twice--so of course, they will visit the most common tourist destinations.

I'm all for trips to the less-well-known parts of Spain! But of course, most first-time (and second- or third-time) travelers will want to see Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, etc. I think venturing beyond those places can give travelers a more comprehensive view of Spanish life. Merida and San Sebastian are lovely, as are Bejar/Candelario. I would really like to wander along the old Silver Road (Via de la Plata) from Astorga to Zamora, Salamanca, Caceres and Merida...some basic details can be found at http://www.guiarte.com/viadelaplata/

We Americans certainly hope that visitors realize that there is much more to the USA than Disney World and New York City (fun as those places are!)... and I think visits to "the rest of Spain" can help travelers achieve that balanced perspective. I love Madrid, but I have to say that it is quite different from other parts of Spain I've seen--even other small cities!!

Tara smile

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: taravb ]

#20137 - 01/11/02 03:16 PM Re: North-South-East or West of Spain?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
hombre_gizon:

I'm planning a trip to Northern Spain in September. Don't worry- I'll be bugging you for all kinds of information on these cities.
laugh

#20138 - 01/11/02 06:54 PM Re: North-South-East or West of Spain?
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Madrid is a world-class city with incredible culture. What makes Spain, in my opinion, so alluring are the vast differences one finds geographically and culturally - as one moves around the different regions and provences.

Flying into Bilbao from Malaga one experiences an incredible shift of not only the physical environment, but the food, customs, and look of the people.

All our Spanish friends asked what I liked better - the north or the south? Had an excellent time in both places. You are right, hombre_gizon , it seems that less people venture to the north than the south and Madrid.

Was in Santander, Lekeitio, Bilbao, and surrounding areas. What great cities and towns!

So when I came to Madrid this time, and was impressed, I now have a more well rounded view of the country. What's exciting is there are still so many areas to explore!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments