Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19947 - 10/25/01 06:41 PM Many thanks and more questions
Jenny B Offline

Thanks Fernando and Barry for your help!!

My friend and I have been reading travel books and searching the net and have decided on a couple of things... Now, I have some more specific questions.

First, I think the 7 hours train trip to Barcelona means we are going to have to come back and see that wonderful city some other time (UNLESS, anyone knows of a fast way to Barcelona???)

SO, we are going to fly into Madrid check it out. Then on to Seville via the fast train.

Which leads to my MANY questions for the Spain experts... keep in mind we will be in Spain Oct. 31- Nov 7:

1. We definitely want to see bullfighting and flamenco dancing... Are either of those things better certain cities verses others??? I.e. Seville vs. Madrid????

2. RE: Seville... does anyone have any recommendations for hostels in Seville? Im looking for INEXPENSIVE, but still nice... probably double private room. Also, must sees in Seville... any suggestions?

3. What would you recommend for tranportation from Seville to Gibralter??? We also want to see some of southern coast... Anything within a few hours drive of Gibralter that we shouldn't miss? Is it a good idea to rent a car in Seville or Gibralter?? Any recommendations of where to rent a car? Also, any good hostels near Gibralter?

4. Is Morocco safe?? Are there tours available from southern Spain??

5. Re: the Canary Islands-- how far are they from southern Spain? How do you get there and how long does it take?

6. Is there any reason to jet on over to Portugal??? And if so, anyone know the best way to go?? Train? Bus? Rental Car?

SO many questions... so little time... again thank you so much for any help you can give... we want to be sure to fill our 7-8 days with everything possibly without killing ourselves ! eek

Jenny

#19948 - 10/25/01 08:12 PM Re: Many thanks and more questions
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
1. We definitely want to see bullfighting and flamenco dancing... Are either of those things better certain cities verses others??? I.e. Seville vs. Madrid????

Both cities are the best to see bullfighting. They are classic places to watch it.

2. RE: Seville... does anyone have any recommendations for hostels in Seville? Im looking for INEXPENSIVE, but still nice... probably double private room. Also, must sees in Seville... any suggestions?

The Giralda and the Torre del Oro are must sees. I don't know Seville very much indeed.

3. What would you recommend for tranportation from Seville to Gibralter??? We also want to see some of southern coast... Anything within a few hours drive of Gibralter that we shouldn't miss? Is it a good idea to rent a car in Seville or Gibralter?? Any recommendations of where to rent a car? Also, any good hostels near Gibralter?

Near Gibraltar: Nerja, Málaga and Cádiz. Near Cádiz you have Sancti Petri, a nice fishmen village. To go to Gibraltar the best is car or bus. Be prepared to wait long rows to enter (there is a border in which you need passport).

4. Is Morocco safe?? Are there tours available from southern Spain??

I really don't know, so I prefer not to answer this question wink

5. Re: the Canary Islands-- how far are they from southern Spain? How do you get there and how long does it take?

The best is to go from Madrid. The trip lasts two hours by plane (which is the best way to reach there).

6. Is there any reason to jet on over to Portugal??? And if so, anyone know the best way to go?? Train? Bus? Rental Car?

Portugal is a very beautiful country and, though it share some common aspects with Spain, it is in many more much different. My friends say that the only place worth of visiting (if you are on hurry) is Lisboa (Lisbon).

Hope this helps :-)

Fernando

#19949 - 10/25/01 09:09 PM Re: Many thanks and more questions
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Hi

As far as Morocco being safe, I can give you some advice, as I was there over the summer.

We had a tour guide that led us through the narrow streets (the "market"). We also had a guide following along behind us. Just make sure (for women) to wear long pants and long sleeved shirts, don't carry any bags - use a wallet that straps around your waist or hangs around your neck. Do not wear expensive jewelry or things like that people can see. You should be fine. If you are traveling with other people, and not alone, that is even better.

I have alot of great pictures from Morocco if anyone want to see them.
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

#19950 - 10/26/01 12:24 AM Re: Many thanks and more questions
Jenny B Offline

Thanks for the info... Im going with another girl, so if we go to Morroco, we will go on a tour... AND I would love to see your pictures!!!!!! Photography is one of the main reasons I travel!!!

#19951 - 10/26/01 05:06 AM Re: Many thanks and more questions
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Re. seeing a bullfight. I think the official "season" (temporada) is over. It usually ends sometime in October.

#19952 - 10/26/01 06:41 AM Re: Many thanks and more questions
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
I hope my pragmatism doesn't diminish your excitement about your forthcoming trip, but I'd like to make a few more points about your itinerary.
Forget moroco. There really isn't time. It's a great place to visit, but by making a mad dash there you'll do neither Spain nor moroco justice. The same goes for Portugal.
Unless you have a particularly pressing reason to go to Gibraltar, eg friends or family there, or an irrepressible urge to see British-style red phone boxes, I can't see why you would make 'The Rock' a priority.
Stick, as I said to Madrid and the surrounding area, maybe see Sevilla.
If you really want to see the coast, you could head down to Cadiz, although the coast is not at its most spectacular here. If you really want dramatic coastline, I'd recommend the North - Galicia. and Asturias - but not on this short visit.
Relax! you can't see everything!

#19953 - 10/26/01 07:07 AM Re: Many thanks and more questions
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
If I had only 7 days to spend in Spain, I would limit my travel to Madrid, Cordoba, and Sevilla. Traveling by train is easy and fast, aboard the AVE it is 1 hour to Cordoba, then a 1/2 hour to Sevilla, an 1 1/5 hours back to Madrid. Traveling to the coast will take you at least 5 hours each wayby bus or train. I spent 3 days in Madrid and it wasn't enough.

#19954 - 10/26/01 03:25 PM Re: Many thanks and more questions
Daimegeuse Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Have you considered an overnight train? I am traveling to Madrid and Barcelona in late Oct, and am taking the 9 hour slow overnight train. It is a good trade off money wise because you dont have to spend the night in a hotel.

#19955 - 10/27/01 01:26 AM Re: Many thanks and more questions
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
I must agree, consider forgetting Morocco. There is so much to do in Spain, but travel time is sometimes slow. I'm afraid you'll truely rush your trip and not "smell the tapas." I'm sure that Bullfighting is over in November, except for, perhaps, some special events.

#19956 - 10/27/01 10:44 AM Re: Many thanks and more questions
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I don't know if you've ever been to Europe. I haven't been to Spain yet, but my experience in other parts of Europe is that there is so much to see in every direction that you really have to limit yourself or you end up with nothing but burnout. It's hard for me to get up in the morning and try to decide which of 10 different fantastic directions to go in just one day without having a sort of mini nervous breakdown, so I try to limit myself to a realistic schedule ahead of time. Also since customs and everything is different, a lot of things-like hotels, restaurants and finding places and trains often take longer than expected. I've found it works best for me to stay about 3 nights in one place to take in a city and also day trips out and around. For our (first) trip to spain we're planning to fly in and out of Madrid--so we're planing 3 nites in Madrid, 4 nites in Seville, and 3 nites again in Madrid. This should allow time to see these cities and take day side trips to maybe Segovia, Avilla, Ronda and what ever else pops up. This means we'll likely miss Toledo, Granda, Barcelona, etc. and all sorts of other interesting things I keep reading about, but from previous experience I think our days and nites will be very full.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 759 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments