Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19763 - 08/12/01 09:19 PM Eloping in Spain
CharlesH Offline

Hi everyone,
Yes it is true...my girlfriend and I have decided to elope in Spain. We will be arriving on the 14th of September and staying for a month. At some point during that month we will be tying the knot... Does anyone have any suggestions on that special place? We will be spending 3 days in MADRID then the rest of the trip is unplanned....

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanx

#19764 - 08/13/01 09:33 PM Re: Eloping in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
First, and probably most important question, have you made all the legal arrangements with the local authorities to be able to marry in Spain if you don't have Spanish citizenship?? This is an important question. Next, if you ARE legally able to marry in Spain and/or get all the appropriate papers, it might take longer than a month to arrange for someone to marry you in a civil ceremony.

Anyone else know about this? As for special places, I would think it might be easier/faster to get married in a small town/village. Good luck and congratulations!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#19765 - 08/14/01 03:01 AM Re: Eloping in Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I am not pretty sure of how much time or documents would take you to get married in a civil ceremony (by a judge, in a court), but most people, specially when they speak of beautiful places to get married in, think of a church. To get married in an ordinary church, you would have both to be catholic, and to reserve a place some months in advance (the more months the more fashionable the church is). It may also be rather expensive.

For both kinds of marriage, as MM said, towns will have more days free in the mayor's or judge's schedule.

Bear in mind that, in Spain, except for Catalonia, unless you say the opposite, the marriage type is gananciales (sharing all future incomes) instead of separación de bienes (separated incomes), and that in case (let's hope it will never happen - but sometimes it does) of separation, you will be ruled by the laws of the country where you got married - Spain.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments