Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19664 - 07/21/01 10:53 AM La Tomatina in Bunol - Spain
HOTexas Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX USA
Does anyone know when this is going to happen this year? It's supposed to be the last Wednesday in August, but I heard that it's actually going to happen on the 22nd (fourth Wednesday in August).

Can anyone confirm ??

For those of you wandering what La Tomanina is, it's the famous tomato fight that happens in the city of Bunol, Spain every year. I can't wait !

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

http://hotexas.tripod.com

#19665 - 07/26/01 05:14 PM Re: La Tomatina in Bunol - Spain
Cris Offline

Loc: Texas
Actually, as far as I know it's the first week of August if I remember correctly. Good luck! smile

#19666 - 07/27/01 03:50 AM Re: La Tomatina in Bunol - Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

The name is TomaTina (like tomato).

In this link, they say it is in the last week of August. http://www3.gvsu.edu/wcb/schools/GV/mod/lambj/4/forums/forum2/messages/103.html

Here, they are more concrete,the last wednesday of August, 11 a.m.:
http://www.encis.es/idus/tomatina.htm

For other details:
http://www.lahoya.net/tomatina/menues.html

#19667 - 07/27/01 07:39 AM Re: La Tomatina in Bunol - Spain
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
This is one festival I have to attend before I die. Where else in the world can you stand knee deep in tomato juice, and throw a ripe one at someone? laugh Talk about a good way to release hostilities, it don't get better than that!

Of course I'd be tempted to wring my clothes out when I get home to make a marinara sauce... rolleyes

Anyone? How do you get tomato stains out of clothes? eek

Wolf (Warming up his pitching arm for the 2002 La TomaTina if he can make it there.. laugh )

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Wolfgang81 ]

#19668 - 07/28/01 08:23 AM Re: La Tomatina in Bunol - Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wolf:

You can still reach Tomatina'01 in August.

#19669 - 07/30/01 01:10 AM Re: La Tomatina in Bunol - Spain
HOTexas Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX USA
Thanks for the info and links. I'll be in Madrid and will probably have to drive to Bunol early in the morning on the day it starts. Does anyone know how far it is from Madrid and what the drive time is more or less ?

http://hotexas.tripod.com

#19670 - 07/30/01 05:39 AM Re: La Tomatina in Bunol - Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

I asked my mates at work, and they don't know the village, even though they have gone many times that way to reach the coast. But, considering that Valencia is about 400 Km. from Madrid, Buñol should be about 250 to 300Km.. Which means about 3 hours trip (more that day maybe, because of the feast).

You could go faster, because it is a motorway, but it is dangerous if you go real fast, there are a lot of accidents (some with death victims) because of going faster of 100 Km/hour ¿60 miles/hour? For a person who doesn't know the road, I would recommend a lower speed.

#19671 - 07/30/01 06:15 AM Re: La Tomatina in Bunol - Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is what they say in Geoplaneta

Tiempo total: 03:05:17 h
Distancia total: 326.9 km

There, you can select "ruta más corta" or "ruta más rápida", they will show you a schedule with maps.

#19672 - 07/30/01 08:22 PM Re: La Tomatina in Bunol - Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Wolf- I got your back, and I hear you. I must do that before I croak, too.

According to Almodóvar, in order to get those tough stains out (including blood and guts, use "Ecce Homo" detergent. If you haven't seen "Women on the Verge..." you'll think I've lost it. If you have, then you "lost it" laugh during that scene. Quite possibly the best commercial never to air on TVE.

CaliBasco [who wouldn't mind standing knee-deep in V8 with anyone on this board] smile

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: CaliBasco ]

#19673 - 08/23/01 04:33 AM Re: La Tomatina in Bunol - Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

In spite of the information offered here, taken from links of Buñuel area websites, the Tomatina has been held 22nd August.

My sincere apologies for sending links to misinformed pages (no matter they were patronaged by the Buñol town council).

30.000 people and 120.000 kilos tomatoes took part in it.

It was filmed by BBC and some japanese TVs at least, maybe it can still be seen at BBC for those avaliabe.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments