Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19369 - 05/23/01 07:47 PM Santiago de Compostela (the town, not the route!)
reenie Offline

I've rec'd a partial scholarship to study at the University there this summer. Last summer, I studied in Madrid & loved it so much I'd like to move there.

Problem is: I am a little worried I'd be bored in comparison. It's much smaller than Madrid. Is it sleepy by contrast to Madrid? Does anyone out there have experience living/traveling/working/studying in these two cities that could give me insight? confused

#19370 - 05/23/01 08:37 PM Re: Santiago de Compostela (the town, not the route!)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Santiago in summer: well, there are lots of activities related to the University; the town itself is charming (just walking those old streets gives you smtg. to do day after day; the Alameda is a great book-reading-people-watching place. You can get to many interesting towns and beaches by bus in a short time frame. La Corun~a is one hr. away and makes a great all-day trip. Ditto Pontevedra, etc. I think Santiago will please you!

#19371 - 05/23/01 09:06 PM Re: Santiago de Compostela (the town, not the route!)
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Congrats on your scholarship/opportunity, Renee. I think I could stand being bored in Santiago de Comp.!

#19372 - 05/24/01 08:44 AM Re: Santiago de Compostela (the town, not the route!)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Any city that has at least one Irish Pub can't be all bad: It's Molly Malone's and it's in the Historic District. Santiago is a busy University town. It has department stores (a large Corté Inglés), Discotecas (one called Saturday Nite?), restaurants and bars. It even has a Cafeteria that makes its own churros (no porras): Yate on c/Senra. It is very well communicated with regional rail (or bus) service to/from Vigo, Pontevedra and a'Corunha. For a student I think it is an ideal size city, much more 'manageable' than a larger city such as Madrid.

Once you get established with your fellow students, I think you'll have a 'ball.' laugh
BTW
About 3 or 4 years ago, the Chieftains (Irish folk group) recorded a 'Santiago' CD featuring Carlos Nuñez (from Vigo) as their lead bagpiper (gaitero). Unfortunately, you missed this year's bagpipe competition. It usually takes place toward the end of May. rolleyes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments