Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19269 - 04/28/01 01:33 PM 1 month stay outside of madrid-quaint? accessible?
Escape to Espana Offline

Loc: santa barbara, california
I'm headed to Spain for a month in late September. A mini-sabbatical from my life and job in the US. I want to stay in a small town outside of Madrid, that is quaint, charming, and accessible to the trains for day or weekend trips. Would love someone's opinion on which town to use as my jumping off point- El Escorial, Alcala, Aranjuez... HELP! Oh, and if you know of any fabulous, modest places to stay in those places, for a month, even better!

#19270 - 04/29/01 10:17 AM Re: 1 month stay outside of madrid-quaint? accessible?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quaint & charming? Alcalá de Henares should fit that bill very nicely. I see that you are in Santa Barbara. If you have visited Guadalajara (Jalisco), the 16th Century architecture of the old square there is very similar to that around the University and Plaza Cervantes in Alcalá de Henares. My wife's cousin lives there and commutes to/from Madrid on the Cercanias.
There are newer residential buildings in Alcalá de Henares but they don't infringe on the historical area (complete with Storks) rolleyes

#19271 - 04/29/01 01:25 PM Re: 1 month stay outside of madrid-quaint? accessible?
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
El Escorial is a pleasant bedroom community. It has easy access to Madrid by frequent trains. I'm reasonably confident you could rent a piso there.

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: cantabene ]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 810 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments