Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#1924 - 03/27/01 08:10 PM Madrid: La Perla Asturiana, Hostal Playa, Hostal La Plata
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi All!!

Well, after much frustration, we finally have places to stay and will be headed to Madrid on April 13th!!! The 14th-16th we'll be at Hostal Playa , head off to Granada to visit friends, then back to Madrid at the Hostal La Plata on the 20th. I'll report back on what we think when we return...

Here's the issue: About a month ago, I sent a reservation request via the internet to Hostal La Perla Asturiana (via their web page). The page says we'd hear back within 24 or 48 hours. When we didn't hear back, my friend called there. They told her not to worry, they had plenty of room for when we needed it, and we'd hear back from them soon. So a few weeks go by and still NOTHING. I'm used to the more laid back Spanish demeaner, but come on! So I emailed them last Monday night (March 19th) and they promptly replied that they were full for the end of Semana Santa and hadn't had space for weeks!! This sent us into a panic, we called and emailed nearly every hostal listed on Madridman's hostal site , until finally Friday (23rd) night we were able to get a reservation at Hostal Playa. It looks nice, and we're ecstatic at the great location and the good reviews I saw on the Madridman Message board . Not to tempt fate again, I made sure to call there on Saturday morning, and I confirmed my reservation. We'll be staying at Hostal La Plata our last night, which doesnt look quite as spiffy, but the man on their end of the phone was VERY nice. Does anyone have info on that place?

Anyway, after this long rambling message, my point is: DON'T take it for granted that the email reservation form will assure you a confirmed reservation! If you don't hear from them, email them directly or even call, you'll be glad you did!!

I'll talk to you all soon!!!

Denise

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-27-2001).]

#1925 - 03/28/01 03:36 PM Re: Madrid: La Perla Asturiana, Hostal Playa, Hostal La Plata
Balise Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
I am staying at Hostal Perla Asturiana right now; it is in Plaza Santa Cruz, which is under construction. That doesnīt bother me, though. Hostal Perla Asturiana isnīt as nice as Hostal Gonzalo, which I stayed at last year. Itīs not as well maintained and NOT as clean. The shower has one of those hand held shower heads, and the water pressure is so low. The shower head makes more noise than it dispenses water. Also, the tub had bits of hair in it before Iīd even used it.

Still, the room has a phone and tv and itīs a good location. I was able to sleep in the middle of the day even with all the construction because I had earplugs. I have a balcony (overseeing the digging equipment!). By closing the balcony doors, it becomes very dark in the room.

The managers seem nice. The day man speaks English (I think heīs British); the night man is Morrocan, so I believe he speaks French in addition to Spanish.

Bye!

#1926 - 07/07/02 08:27 PM Re: Madrid: La Perla Asturiana, Hostal Playa, Hostal La Plata
Monica Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
For future or potential guests at La Perla Asturiana -

I reserved online with a confirmation via email from La Perla Asturiana within the 24-48 time frame mentioned. The location is great, one can see Plaza Mayor around the corner of the Hostal. Safety was not an issue although I did not venture out very late. The one night I was out past 1am, I had friends walk me to the hostal where they waited until I was buzzed into the building (the front door was locked).

I was there 4 nights and only one morning did the water pressure seem weak in the shower.
The staff was friendly and one 1 of the 3 did speak English with a British accent.

There were no lifts/elevators so be prepared to lug your personal belongings up at least one flight of stairs. Also, earplugs might be a good idea for light sleepers. smile

#1927 - 07/22/02 12:17 PM Re: Madrid: La Perla Asturiana, Hostal Playa, Hostal La Plata
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
When they replied to your initial request,did they mention all the works going on outside? They didnt in Feb when we chose another place by the toss of a coin.When we went for a look at La Perla we were glad we hadnt gone there because of all the mayhem.Mind you,if we HAD have chosen it,we would have just gone elsewhere anyway!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments