Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18271 - 10/31/00 03:21 PM "cool" areas / gay district (Madrid)
ell Offline

Loc: ell
i'm going to madrid for the first time and wanted to know where the "trendy" areas of town are.

it's my experience that the more "bohemian"/artsy/young/liberal crowd tend to gather around a city's gay district. is this true for madrid too?

what are some places we should visit in madrid?

ell

#18272 - 10/31/00 03:30 PM Re: "cool" areas / gay district (Madrid)
connie Offline

If you use the search function for "chueca", you will find a lot of different opinions about that quarter, which is the gay quarter of the town. It is an interesting part of the city, yet it is visited by gays in the first place. Noone of my male straight friends and acquaintances from Madrid ever goes out there. Still, it is interesting to check it out. It is not far from other parts of the town with a good nightlife, so if you do not like it, you are in walking distances from other places.

#18273 - 11/02/00 03:09 PM Re: "cool" areas / gay district (Madrid)
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Chueca has a massive night-life (carefree atmosphere). Nevertheless the sorroundings of the district are not safe so you must go straight and not wonder around looking for places. Also the public is 95% gay.

I would recommend instead for a good night:

8:30 vermu drink at Toledo 21
9:00 or before Almendro 13, ask for "Huevos rotos" and a bottle of white wine.
10:30-11:00 Some relaxing time at the second floor of el Viajero--> Very near of Almendro 13.
11:30-12:00 El Berlin Cabaret until two.
El Berlin Cabaret (Costanilla de San Pedro street) is cool during the week, is a small, elegant disco with dancing shows every half an hour.

Best regards,
Andres Jarabo (Night life student)

------------------
Taste Madrid with:
http://www.walksofspain.com

#18274 - 11/17/00 09:13 PM Re: "cool" areas / gay district (Madrid)
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
ok, i'll continue to say that chueca is not THAT bad... non-gays can go there too if gay culture does not bother to them too much... i agree that the surrounding areas can be kinda seedy

but this post specifically asks about "gay district." so...

i just now found a banner advertisement for www.chueca.com on www.ya.com . so i thought i'd offer that here... i tried to see it but it would not come up.

ya.com is really cool, though...

[This message has been edited by real_megia (edited 11-17-2000).]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments