Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#18243 - 10/25/00 07:20 PM Should I add Granada, Malaga and Nerja to Sevilla?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Mission: An interesting culture based experience in Spain in January. Verdict: I might be COLD in Sevilla. Solution?? Days 1-3 Sevilla. Day 4, Granada. Day 5, Malaga. Day 6, Nerja. Day 7, back to Sevilla (Maybe a jaunt to Carmona or Cordoba in there somewhere). Staying at paradores except in Sevilla (Alfonso XIII!!). Thoughts??? What would the weather be like in Malaga? BTW, I've been to the classic 3 (Sevilla-Granada-Cordoba) 20 years ago so I have some idea of them. THANKS!

#18244 - 10/26/00 06:53 AM Re: Should I add Granada, Malaga and Nerja to Sevilla?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Granada'll probably be even colder than Sevilla. Malaga has a parador, but it's perched on top of a rather steep hill and is kind of isolated from the town (both physically and culturally, if you know what I mean). I'm not sure why you'd want to spend a night in Nerja in winter. I mean, it's a nice place but its a tourist town. In winter it's pretty dead.However, Malaga and Nerja should be much warmer than Granada/Sevilla.

#18245 - 10/26/00 08:29 AM Re: Should I add Granada, Malaga and Nerja to Sevilla?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Boqueron. Maybe I'll stick to Madrid-Sevilla. I know how to handle January in Madrid, and at least in Sevilla there's stuff to do (me imagino!). The Islas Canarias are starting to look good to me, too, for a return visit!

#18246 - 10/30/00 04:05 AM Re: Should I add Granada, Malaga and Nerja to Sevilla?
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
Excuse me!?! It may be winter, and this may be a "tourist town", but it is far from "dead" in winter. Nerja, where I live, is a 12 month resort and is very busy right through the winter months. Sure, you can't lie on the beach every day - although there are many days when you can - but I prefer it when it's quieter.

Don't write off Nerja in winter before you've been here. It's lovely. Nights in Sevilla can be very cold in January whereas here, they're just a little chilly! Daytime temperatures often hit 20 or 21 degrees.

One point, though, the Parador here is due to undergo a major refurbishment during which time it will be completely closed, but I'm not sure when it starts.

If you want more info on Nerja, eMail me : davej@wanadoo.es

Dave

#18247 - 10/30/00 06:35 AM Re: Should I add Granada, Malaga and Nerja to Sevilla?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Hey Davej! I don't mean any disrespect to Nerja! I like it a lot, I was there the last two winters (and last summer) and will most likely visit again this winter. For anyone who wants a bit of winter sun in very nice town, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. My response was specifically directed to Rgf, who in another related post had made it clear she wasn't interested in going to Marbella in winter as from HER point of view it just wasn't "interesting". I would happily spend time in either place, and on balance probably would prefer Nerja. However, if someone isn't interested in one of these places, it's not clear exactly what interest the other would hold.

As for my comment about it being dead in winter, maybe that's an exageration, but it's way different from summer, and much quieter (in my experience) than the cities (Malaga, Sevilla, Granada), which are full of life.

So listen everybody - NERJA IS GREAT ANYTIME OF YEAR!!!

#18248 - 10/30/00 09:14 AM Re: Should I add Granada, Malaga and Nerja to Sevilla?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Davej-- I don't know if I'll get to Nerja this trip, but certainly i have noticed it is a place of great beauty, so I'll get there some day! Let me know if you know when the parador will be en obras. That would be a highlight, to stay there. I did decide to only go to Madrid and Sevilla and NOT rent a car this time, tho i will take some day trips. gracias a todos por los consejos!

#18249 - 10/30/00 10:25 AM Re: Should I add Granada, Malaga and Nerja to Sevilla?
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Climate Update

I will be traveling to Spain from Dec. 29-Jan. 14 and will Sevilla, Granada,Algeciras and Morocco. I will be staying with a family in Granada and here is an e-mail describing the weather:

"The weather in January is often bright and sunny. In this case, the
daytime temperature can rise to around 20ºC (nearly 70F) but can sink at
night to a few degrees below zero (less than 30F). If it's cloudy, then
the temperatures are less extreme, around 10ºC (50F).

Seville is much lower than Granada so it doesn't get so cold at night."

#18250 - 10/30/00 04:05 PM Re: Should I add Granada, Malaga and Nerja to Sevilla?
markides Offline

Loc: Austin, TX USA
I am going to be in Sevilla for January.

Is it really much colder in Sevilla than on
the coast? I would believe that Granada is colder because of its elevation, but has anyone spent time in Sevilla over the winter?

#18251 - 10/31/00 02:45 AM Re: Should I add Granada, Malaga and Nerja to Sevilla?
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
The Parador work was due to begin this month (October) and is scheduled to be completed by "next spring" (Spanish timescales, of course!) All bedrooms are being upgraded, plus new reception, electrics, air conditioning etc. They're also adding a gym, two saunas and hydromassage baths!

All adding to the delights of Nerja!!

dave

#18252 - 10/31/00 04:46 PM Re: Should I add Granada, Malaga and Nerja to Sevilla?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Makides, Granada, because it is situated more or less at the base of the mountains, will be colder than Savilla. Don't worry - just enjoy a wonderful city!

[This message has been edited by Puna (edited 10-31-2000).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments