Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18089 - 09/22/00 09:17 PM Malaga
fabulous Offline

Loc: Santa Ana, CA, USA
I was surfing for travel tips for my next trip to Spain and I came across this AWESOME sight. Need suggestions for Malaga...I think I'll be okay with Madrid but I don't know about Malaga...

#18090 - 09/24/00 01:12 PM Re: Malaga
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
Málaga is one of Spain's under-rated cities, by my reckoning. It's a great place, well worth spending a couple of days in. It has a very fine cathedral (which was never quite finished), the magnificent Alcazaba, and the Museo de Bellas Artes, amongst other things. Picasso was born here and his birthplace / family home, Casa Natal de Picasso, is in Plaza de la Merced. There are fine parks, particularly the one along Paseo del Parque which separates the city from the port. Plus some very fine churches, a huge bullring, and even an English Cemetery. Explore the streets in the oldest part (around the Cathedral) where there are some great tapas bars. Travel est out of the town to Pedregalejo (once a fishing village but now a suburb) and there are some superb fish restaurants. It's a great city - don't miss it!

#18091 - 09/25/00 06:29 AM Re: Malaga
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
I'd second everything Davej says. Malaga is great. A full-on Andalusian city with a beach! A couple of additional points...

The old Museo de Bellas Artes is being converted into a Picasso Gallery (don't know if it's finished yet, it was still being worked on earlier in the summer).

There's a new antiquities museum at the start of Paseo de Reding (east end of the Paseo del Parque).

Also try c/Granada and the area around there for bars and tapas. El Piyayo serves wonderful seafood around a central ship-shaped bar! Also the Malagueta area (around the bullring) has some nice tapas bars.

A couple of great bodegas if you want to try the local wines, El Pimpi (c/Granada), and Casa Antigua de la Guardia (Alameda). Both are worth a visit just for the atmosphere.

The beach from Malagueta eastwards (Paseo Maritimo Pablo R. Picasso!) is definitely worth a stroll (you'd be heading for Pedregalejo, great place for lunch). The chiringuitos (beach bars) might still be open, offering great "refreshment" on the way (a speciality is sardines grilled over wood right there on the beach).

And of course, don't forget the boquerones!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 929 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments