Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#17841 - 07/25/00 06:40 AM Cuenca
BBEddie Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
Altough Cuenca is a 2 1/2 hour drive from Madrid, it was the most ejoyable day trip on my recent visit to Spain.
Cuenca is a medieval city built by the Romans on a series of beautiful hills ( what a surprise). You will need your walking shoes. The Cathedral and it's Museum are splendid. They have an excellant Archaeology Museum right across the street from the Cathedral Museum. Don't miss the beautiful Casas Colgadas. Six hundred year old homes that hang from the side of cliffs with spectacular views. In one of them is a slightly upscale restaurant with fantastic food. Dinner for 4 with evrything from wine to dessert was $124.

#17842 - 07/25/00 09:49 AM Re: Cuenca
Brian Goldthorp Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Great, now I have to add Cuenca to my list of cities around Madrid to see! Seriously, I'm going in the fall and will be visiting some cities around Madrid (by car - friend from UK who is used to European driving will be the chauffeur, fortunately). Was there enough to see for an overnight stay in Cuenca, or could you crowd everything into a day? Also, do you remember the name of the restaurant? Thanks!

#17843 - 07/25/00 02:18 PM Re: Cuenca
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Brian, if you go to Cuenca (I also think it's worth it) and you like nature and some pretty neat sights, consider staying the night and taking a trip in car to the Ciudad Encantada (Enchanted City), which is an amazing place with the most incredible rock structures - all nature-made - and it seems you're in another world when you look at them. I've never seen anything like it, and was very impressed. The views along the road there are also quite beautiful. You can visit the Nacimiento del Rio Cuervo too, where the river is "born" in a spring coming out of a rocky hill covered with moss and ferns. It's off the beaten path made by foreign tourists, something I always enjoyed in Spain.

We stayed the night in Cuenca in one of the casas colgadas - a great old place with tons of character, called the Posada de San José. You can get info on prices, etc. at the following web address: http://interhotel.com/spain/es/hoteles/6381.html

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 07-25-2000).]

#17844 - 07/27/00 06:43 AM Re: Cuenca
BBEddie Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
Hi Brian Well the name of the restaurant is Meson Casas Colgadas.The same chef has another restaurant Figon de Pedro which supposedly has better food but doesn't have the incredible view.If you are driving like I did not only is it worth staying a night but the drive itself is very spectacular. In hindsight I would definitely spend a night and see the Enchanted City.Have a great time in Spain

#17845 - 07/31/00 10:54 AM Re: Cuenca
Brian Goldthorp Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thank you both for your information. I will look into the hotel and restaurant. Planning a vacation is sooo much fun!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments