MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#17567 - 04/27/08 12:16 PM Online Checkin with Ryanair
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi

Short Question: Is the NIE card (residency card)acceptable for web check-in with Ryanair? Supposedly they are supposed to ID everyone before boarding but I've flown numerous times where not one has ID'd, ie asked for a passport.

Longer Question: when ever I fly with Ryanair I always check a bag and pay the fee for airport checkin. I do this because the only place I fly to is the UK and it's to visit family and to go shopping so we always bring a suitcase of stuff back with us. This time I'm flying for two nights alone so I can easily travel with carry-on only.

Accordingly you can only do that if you can provide an EU/EEE passport or identity card. Like I said above I've flown (within EU) many times and never been asked for a passport/ID card.

Thanks Rob

#17568 - 04/27/08 12:23 PM Re: Online Checkin with Ryanair
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Good question. Now that I think about it, I don't recall that EasyJet checked my passport or NIE card when boarding the airplane from Madrid to Switzerland either.

Maybe they "assume" you've already been approved for flight at the check-in-desk and security check-point before arriving at the gate so that's why they only check your boarding pass.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#17569 - 04/27/08 02:01 PM Re: Online Checkin with Ryanair
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

That's what I figured, my experience with being ID has ranged from not even being asked to show a passport (Madrid Munich)to being given the 3rd degree (naturally on a trip to England). My Wife flies pretty much every week and security looks only at your boarding pass.

The original article Warning Online Check-in Ryanair was written with Americans in mind. Flying to the UK (only place I travel to with Ryanair) I've always checked a bag so it didn't matter. Week after next I'm flying for 2 days carry-on only so I can do the online check in.

Actually I'm at the airport tomorrow I'll ask if the NIE is a valid form of ID.

#17570 - 04/27/08 02:35 PM Re: Online Checkin with Ryanair
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
It all depends on who is behind the counter when you show up. I would never, ever fly anywhere in Europe without both my Spanish DNI and passport. I've been asked for one, the other, neither and both. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. And things are constantly changing, so I wouldn't ever assume that what was true in the past security-wise is still true.

#17571 - 04/28/08 10:26 AM Re: Online Checkin with Ryanair
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Hi THM,

Short answer, no.

When flying to the UK only the DNI card or a Passport is acceptable. Residency cards do not count, according to UK customs.

#17572 - 04/28/08 10:32 AM Re: Online Checkin with Ryanair
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

I asked at the airport today and Residency cards do not count as ID. Rather than the hassle of changing it at that airport (a 6.30am flight) I simply bought another ticket. After flying I will apply for a refund (16€) of the airport checkin fee.
Why Ryanair charges that only to refund it is beyond me.

Total cost Madrid East Midlands 47,90€ less 16€ = 31,90€

less than the cost of parking

from the link above

As long as you were traveling with only carry-on baggage, you are entitled to a refund of any monies they have collected for airport check-in. Refer to the section above on where/what to send to RyanAir.

#17573 - 04/29/08 02:47 AM Re: Online Checkin with Ryanair
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
They probably charge and then refund it because some people will either not realise they are entitled to a refund, or will simply not bother to collect it, so they make more money.

Don't forget this is the airline that will charge for anything they can think of. Did you read they recently charged a disabled person 20.00 sterling to get him from check in to the gate, because they regarded that as the aiports job not theirs, and the airport in question (Stanstead, London) took the opposite view.

Re the price, it is very cheap indeed but you get what you pay for.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 759 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments