Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#17258 - 05/15/07 10:01 AM Madrid airport to Avenida Generalife
gruth Offline

Loc: Texas
Need to find the metro station closest to the Ibis Hotel at 49 Avenida General. Their ad only says there's a Metro station within 700 m, but doesn't say which one. Their website doesn't list any local contact except phone number.
From airport, would it be just as easy and economical to take a taxi? It's supposed to be relatively close to the airport - but I'm not sure what they consider close! Any help appreciated. Coming to see Spain for the very first time this summer!

#17259 - 05/15/07 12:14 PM Re: Madrid airport to Avenida Generalife
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
gruth, first, Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board!

You can enter the hotel's address into Google Maps @ http://www.Google.com/maps and you can see not only the map of the area but also all the nearby metro stations.

From the airport it would be easy but not economical to take a taxi. Go by metro for economical and difficult way to get there. There really is no "easy and economical" way but I still think by taxi is the best unless you contract a shuttle service like AeroCity. That's more economical than by taxi but you may have to wait awhile and you may not get dropped off first because it's a "shared" service with other passengers.

If the hotel's close to the airport it's probably best to just take a taxi.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#17260 - 05/15/07 01:52 PM Re: Madrid airport to Avenida Generalife
gruth Offline

Thanks, MadridMan! Didn't know the Metro stations would come up on google! It worked - especially when I typed the right address in - Avenida General (NOT Generalife!) Muchas gracias. Will probably be asking a few more questions!

#17261 - 05/15/07 02:37 PM Re: Madrid airport to Avenida Generalife
gruth Offline

So, since I want the Barajas Metro Station, which according to the map is not exactly at the airport, when you are ready to leave the airport, are there well marked signs in the Airport showing how you get on the Metro at the airport?

umm... just remembered your Transportation main section...went there and THINK (if I'm reading metro map right) that the Airport has a stop on the metro and then the LAST stop is Barajas station. Right? So I WILL want to get on in the direction of Barajas since I'm not heading straight downtown. ??

#17262 - 05/15/07 03:59 PM Re: Madrid airport to Avenida Generalife
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
On the metro map, BARAJAS is the last stop on the line in the VILLAGE OF BARAJAS and not the airport. The airport is listed as "Aeropuerto".

But you WANT to go to the Barajas metro station IN the village of Barajas, right? I think so if I'm understanding you correctly. If so, yes, get on the metro in the direction of BARAJAS to go to the metro station in the Village of Barajas.

But yes, there are well-marked signs pointing you in the direction of the metro. On many signs you'll see it on the same sign directing you to taxis and to different terminals. Be forewarned that it's QUITE a walk from any of the T-1-2-3 terminals to the Airport metro terminal - might take you 15+ minutes walking. Are you arriving at the new T4 terminal, by chance? If so, "all bets are off" and "that's different" in the way you'll get to the metro station in the airport due to the new opening T4 metro station. Let us know if this is the case.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#17263 - 05/18/07 10:40 AM Re: Madrid airport to Avenida Generalife
gruth Offline

I don't know which terminal we're flying into. We will be on British Airways coming from London. Do you know which terminal that might be?

And, yes, we do want the Barajas neighborhood metro staion - so now I'm clear on that. THANKS!

#17264 - 05/20/07 12:40 PM Re: Madrid airport to Avenida Generalife
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
If you are flying BA, then you will be arriving at T4 for sure. All flights of companies belonging to the oneWorld alliance use that terminal, like AA, IB, BA,...

Aeropuerto T4 is the last station of Line 8. The next one is Barajas, where your hotel is supposed to be, and the next is Aeropuerto T1-T2-T3. So, your stop is right in the middle of both airport's.

Barajas has the same fare as any other Madrid Metro stations,... but airport's. If you want to see how the airport's stations fare works, see a thread in this same Transportation forum called "Madrid Metro line 8 extension to Airport T4 opens today".

As both Barajas and Aeropuerto T4 stations (your destination and arrival points, respectively) are only 2 minutes away one from the other, and both have elevators (in case you have some heavy luggage), and taxi drivers are not too keen of driving such a short distance, I would recommend you to take the Metro from and to the airport

#17265 - 05/23/07 10:36 AM Re: Madrid airport to Avenida Generalife
gruth Offline

Muchas gracias! Info has been a big help.
I have read about the new Metro stations that have opened recently. Is there a new map available yet?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 816 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments