Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16862 - 08/27/06 07:07 PM Re: Madrid to San Lorenzo del Escorial
Estopa1 Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello MadridMan. I have a question, did you get your Spanish license yet, or are you driving with the US license + internatinal permit?

When I arrived to Spain from the US at first I used my US license and drove like a tourist, but at the end I had to get the Spanish "Permiso de Conducción".

#16863 - 08/28/06 02:53 AM Re: Madrid to San Lorenzo del Escorial
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Estopa1, I'm always the passenger. I haven't driven yet since arriving in Spain at the end of December 2005 - because I don't have my license. (I want to get my Spain drivers license in the next year but I'm not in a hurry) I think we discussed drivers licenses for United Statesens in another thread so we shouldn't go off-topic here.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#16864 - 08/29/06 03:21 PM Re: Madrid to San Lorenzo del Escorial
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

How close is the Valley of the Fallen to El Escorial? My brother and his wife are visiting and my suggustion was to go everywhere by train or by bus. You can take guided tours but I don't think you need to, everything around madrid is well connected.

#16865 - 08/31/06 09:03 PM Re: Madrid to San Lorenzo del Escorial
gls858 Offline

Loc: Illinois USA
Estopa1,
Thanks for the info. I think we'll end up taking
a taxi. We'll be spending 7 days at El Escorial
and our accomodations are just a short walk from
the Monastery. I hope to catch a few sundowns from there. Not an early enough riser for sunrises :-)

gls858

#16866 - 08/31/06 09:08 PM Re: Madrid to San Lorenzo del Escorial
gls858 Offline

MadridMan,
Yikes 48 euros for a parking ticket! I guess they figure they might as well make it worth their time if they're going to all the trouble to
write one smile Did you go to the Casita de Arribas?
I think the place we are staying is very near to
it.

gls858

#16867 - 09/01/06 05:08 AM Re: Madrid to San Lorenzo del Escorial
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
gls858, that ticket was HALF the price of the parking ticket we got just the day before (actually, the same morning when we found it) in Madrid. rolleyes They don't mess around with these new Parking Meters throughout Madrid (or anywhere else). It's a real money-maker for them - OBVIOUSLY! mad Besides, they don't even WRITE parking tickets anymore. They all have these PalmPilot-like devices where they only key in the license place number and VOILA! Instant printout ticket - spreading cheer and good-will to all. rolleyes Cha-CHING!

We didn't go to La Casita de Arribas because we didn't have time. When we passed by on our way back through it was already past sunset and getting dark and the Sunday traffic back to Madrid was getting heavy.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#16868 - 09/02/06 12:09 PM Re: Madrid to San Lorenzo del Escorial
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
MadridMan i am amaze to hear they have not put up better signage there still. I went there in 1990 and its true very little signs going back to madrid and actually going there at that time:i park just near where you describe too but no ticket just a flat tire cost me 16 USD to fix same day.Sept 1990.

#16869 - 09/02/06 03:52 PM Re: Madrid to San Lorenzo del Escorial
Estopa1 Offline

To Tim Hortons Man:

The Valley of the Fallen is about 8 miles from El Escorial. You need to take a bus or taxi to get there.

I don't think you will have time to see both places completely on the same day, but you can try. If you arrive at El Escorial at about 1000 hours, then visit the Monastery inside takes about 2-3 hours. Then you can have lunch between 1300 and 1400 hours in the town, and after that take a taxi to the Valley of the Fallen arriving there at 1500 hours. Then you can spend 3 hours to visiting the complex. The Valley closes at 1800 hours.

To gls858:

7 days at El Escorial!!! Wow. I think that is too much. In 3 days you have anough time to see everything there including the surrounding mountains, but anyway you will have a great time. Enjoy!!

#16870 - 09/04/06 12:07 PM Re: Madrid to San Lorenzo del Escorial
Estopa1 Offline

A link to the Wikipedia page about El Escorial:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Escorial

#16871 - 10/04/06 04:24 PM Re: Madrid to San Lorenzo del Escorial
gls858 Offline

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. My wife and I just returned fronm our trip last Sat. We had a GREAT time. The info I got here helped a bunch. Thanks again.

To Estopa1: I agree 7 days at Escroial is more than enough but we got to stay at this villa for FREE for the 7 days we were there. Two days we took the bus to Madrid (a whole 6.40 euros for two tickets) and spent the day there.

http://www.villavacations.com/spain/madrid/sanlorenzo/sanlorenzo_prop.shtml

http://www.elsolvillas.com/sov_property.asp?PropertyID=708

http://www.spain-select.com/detail_villa.asp?id_villa=243

Also by staying at Escorial I managed to strike up a friendshiip will the proprietor of a small bar called El Brillante. My Spanish is poor and his English was nil but we still managed to communicate LOL.

gls858

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments