Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#16722 - 05/31/06 11:00 AM Car Rental Issues
Richmondman Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA. USA
My wife and I have pre-paid for a Hertz rental car, to be picked up at the Malaga Airport in late August and returned to the Madrid Airport in early September. The AAA Car Club tells me that even with all of the insurance coverage on theft, collision, liability, etc - there would still be an $850 deduction that we would pay if the car is stolen or damaged. Additional insurance to cover those costs would be additional $150.

Questions:

1. Is there the normal arrangement
2. How do travelers best protect against car theft
3. Is this "super coverage" necessary.

Thanks,
Mac (Richmond, VA.)

#16723 - 05/31/06 11:28 AM Re: Car Rental Issues
nevado Offline

Well, I can't tell you if it's necessary or not, that's going to have to be your decision. Personally, I haven't seen a deductible that high; mine have always been around 250. I have rented cars in Madrid and around Spain at least 50 times and have had two damaged vehicles, both mirrors taken off while it was parked. So, I guess parking in a garage might be a safer way (so is pushing in your mirrors)!! wink I wouldn't leave anything showing to give the potential thieves reason to take your car. Are you renting a luxury car of any sort? That might attract unnecessary attention.

Just a side note for other readers...be sure and check with your credit card policy if using the insurance offered...my visa wouldn't pay until I had an itemized bill from the repair garage (not an estimate). So, getting that required me to nag Avis in Palma de Mallorca after the fact. I'm still waiting and it has been two years (I sort of gave up, exactly what everyone wants me to do I suppose)! In claim situations American Express was stress-free and easy. I'm no longer a cardholder for other reasons (fees they charge) but I'm considering picking them up again solely for the insurance purposes (unless they have changed their policy in the last 10 years, which is possible).

#16724 - 06/24/06 01:05 AM Re: Car Rental Issues
eltorero Offline

Also, might I add that while I'm unfamiliar with normal deductible costs, I do know that often rental cars are targeted for theft simply because some thieves assume tourists will leave expensive cameras and other goodies in their car (which many do). To reduce this risk, often the car rental company will agree to (or you can do it yourself) remove stickers that reveal the car as a rental.

#16725 - 06/24/06 06:10 AM Re: Car Rental Issues
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
What do I purchase when renting a car in Europe and I am an insurance agent, everything. Because you are not fully covered by your personal automobile insurance policy and credit card. I do not want to spend my vacation time calling credit card companies and my insurance company to resolve an insurance issue. Meanwhile, the rental car company will place a debit on your credit card to cover any damages or deductible that can be for the entire value of the car. Try reserving a room or renting another car after either reached your maximum credit limit, or the credit card company security unit places a hold on the card.

You should call your credit card company and your insurance agent, and find out what insurance they provide in Europe. Levels of coverage vary and some do not provide coverage outside the United States. In some cases, a credit card company will cover collision after a high deductible and many do have a maximum. Also, ask if there are any other benefits provided for a traveler. Usually, your personal automobile insurance policy only provides liability coverage, no collision or theft especially outside the United States

Also, I read the fine print on the coverage offered because they are all not the same. The following coverage is available to you at the rental car counter:

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW). Sometimes called a Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), this coverage relieves you of financial responsibility if your rental car is damaged or stolen. The CDW may be void, however, if you cause an accident by speeding, driving on unpaved roads or driving while intoxicated. In Europe, I discovered some companies do not cover broken glass and tires or any damage caused by theft or vandalism.

Liability Insurance. This provides excess liability coverage of up to $1 million for the time you rent a car. Rental companies are required by law to provide the minimum level of liability insurance, but not enough to cover damages in a big accident. Check your automobile insurance policy with your insurance agent to determine if you have liability coverage in Europe, and what you need to process a claim. Not all insurance companies are the same.

Personal Accident Insurance. This provides coverage to you and your passengers for medical/ambulance bills. You may want to consider this coverage if you do not have adequate medical insurance. Sure, Europe has socialized medical care, but the coverage may pay for your ambulance trip home.

Personal Effects Coverage. This provides coverage for the theft of personal items in your car. In Europe, not all companies cover all personal items, and there is a maximum.

Also, inspect the car before you drive off. If you notice any damage inform the attendant before you leave the lot.

The cost of this coverage varies among companies, and should make your shopping more interesting. However, I have found competitive rates from two companies while traveling through Europe, http://www.rentacar-worldwide.com/ and http://www.carjet.com/

#16726 - 06/24/06 09:48 AM Re: Car Rental Issues
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I have always rented from carjet and have had great experiences. I was told that if anything happens to the car - like a dent in a parking lot of scrape on the side while parked - not to do anything - just to return as planned as they say they cover all damages and as long as it is drivable to drive right along... has that been your caqse - thank goodness it has never happened to us but I have seen numerous scrapes, bumps and bruises and people mostly just keep on driving.. no pasa nada

#16727 - 06/24/06 10:49 AM Re: Car Rental Issues
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
My husband travels a great deal and uses the American Express platinum card for renting cars because of the no hassle aspect to damage claims, among other reasons. Last year I had an intimate encounter with a ridiculously tight entrance to an apartment parking area in the Albacin in Granada (if you've been there, you get the picture) and broke the side mirror and did a pretty good job on the side of the car. Upon returning the car, he signed a piece of paper and off we went. No problem!!

This is a pretty expensive card. If you can deduct it as a business expense, it might be worth it. Another way to look it, add up how much you pay per year for all of the extra coverage and compare it to the cost of the card. If insurance costs are anywhere near the card cost, it's worth it.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments