Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16638 - 07/05/06 09:02 PM Re: Sky-high airfare
wesrick Offline

Loc: Wichita, KS
I just bought a ticket from Wichita, KS to Madrid in mid-September for 984 (includes a hundred bucks for the travel agent). That's OK with me.

-Rick

Wichita, KS

#16639 - 07/06/06 10:18 AM Re: Sky-high airfare
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I was watching a news program this weekend on this issue and just sharing a warning some travel experts were giving out.

Since the airlines are book to capacity this summer, the travel experts warn people not to be late for their flights and check in at the airlines recommended time.

Airlines have no problems bumping people because they know they have people waiting for those bump seats.

Bill

#16640 - 07/07/06 01:13 AM Re: Sky-high airfare
Lynette Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Fares to Madrid were so outrageous(nearly $1700), even back in April when I was booking my august tx, that I booked a non-stop from Philly to Lisbon on USAIR for $733. I'll take the o-nite train to Madrid for $300. Still beat the fare and I get to see Lisbon. However, I just looked and USAIR is no longer running the special (It's now $1685). But perhaps it's useful for future posters to consider flying into a 'close' city where there might be a 'special'. Alas, I think the travelling set will have to get used to these outlandish fares in the current economy. mad

#16641 - 07/07/06 05:51 AM Re: Sky-high airfare
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
Lately I have been getting better fares from US to Barcelona .. it used to be much better into Madrid but I have seen more specials into BCN lately.

#16642 - 07/07/06 08:47 AM Re: Sky-high airfare
SRedw Offline

Most people are blaming the high prices on the high price of oil now and you know that the airlines are passing those charges on to us as passengers. Now summer is when the majority of people travel, so of course they can have us dig deep in our pockets because they know that we have to travel some sort of way.

I am looking for deals to Washington, DC from Madrid and they have't been looking THAT great so far. I live in Richmond, VA and just trying to go straight to Richmond sends the ticket up to 2193€ eek and that is not a joke. British Airways.

Still searching and sending love out to everyone,

Shawn

#16643 - 07/07/06 09:38 AM Re: Sky-high airfare
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Shawn--
To get to DC, I've had the best luck flying into Philly on USAir/Spanair and then connecting to DC. Check both airline's sites, because even though it is the same flight, sometimes it is cheaper on one than on the other. Even with the horrendous exchange, it worked out better for us to buy the ticket from the Spanish site terminala.com.

Another tip--have someone in the US check the fares for you on US sites like travel.yahoo.com. I discovered recently that the fares that you get depend on where you are!

¡Suerte!

#16644 - 07/23/06 09:11 PM Re: Sky-high airfare
Bob New York Offline

Loc: Maryland
My friend got a flight from BWI - london via PHL. that cost him 785 usairways. He then booked a flight on easyjet for 120.00. it was a long trip but he saved about 240. The key is to get to gatwick not heathrow.. good luck

#16645 - 07/24/06 08:52 AM Re: Sky-high airfare
SRedw Offline

Thanks for the advice. I will take it into consideration. I have decided to wait until the fall to go home because ticket prices were just too expensive for me this summer. We shall see what I find.

Have a great day,

Shawn

#16646 - 07/24/06 09:43 AM Re: Sky-high airfare
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Shawn - the fares drop by at least 50%, often more, if you wait until end of Sept-start of Oct.
If you don't need to get home ASAP - wait until end of summer and you'll see the rates drop dramatically.

Also, log onto Travelocity and set up your account where they will notify you everytime your choice of to/from destinations drop by whatever dollar amount you put in.

Doesn't mean you have to purchase thru them - just gives you a heads-up for fare changes via email - and saves you having to check all the relevant airlines as well ....

#16647 - 08/02/06 04:50 AM Re: Sky-high airfare
SRedw Offline

Thanks for the advice. I am now looking at November and it has dropped drastically and I will do it before Thanksgiving.

There's no place like home, since I haven't been there in 3 years. eek

Thanks again,

Shawn

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 794 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments