Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1660 - 03/06/01 06:36 PM Hostal Martin (Madrid)
jdowney Offline

Loc: Newport Beach, Ca. 92663
I just made my reservations at Hostal Martin for April over the internet and it was really easy. They were one of the few hostals that have single rooms available during that time of month. I also called to verify and spoke with someone who understood basic english to my basic spainsh.

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-21-2001).]

#1661 - 03/06/01 07:32 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi jdowney!! Glad to hear of your positive experience. But tell us, where in Spain is this Hostal Martin? I didn't see the city locator in your posting or subject line anywhere. This will help to direct others to this apparently fine establishment. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#1662 - 03/06/01 07:55 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I just found the Hostal Martin on the hotelsearch.com site. It is near Atocha. I am looking for a place for June 5, and have not had much success with my first choices. This hostal has a double available, though, and my son and I may wind up there too. I'll be looking forward to reading your review of the place!

#1663 - 03/06/01 08:22 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

la maestra, where in Spain is "Atocha"???

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#1664 - 03/07/01 01:23 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
Alejandro Hsu Offline

Loc: madrid
Madridman , atocha is in madrid (I think) , in the metro map there is two atocha , one is atocha renfe and the other is atocha .

#1665 - 03/07/01 01:39 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Alejandro Hsu, I know that Atocha is in Madrid. I was just trying to prompt the original posters to include the city in their postings to make it clearer for those reading who are not as familiar with Madrid and/or Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-07-2001).]

#1666 - 03/07/01 07:51 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Mil gracias, MM! I thought I was being so helpful! After reading some of your other comments I realized that you wanted me to say that Hostal Martin was in MADRID!!!!! I'll try to remember to mention MADRID when I post messages about hostales in MADRID!

#1667 - 03/21/01 01:08 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
Amy25 Offline

Loc: Troy, MI USA
I too made a reservation with hostal Martin when I was Madrid. It was very easy to reserve over the internet. And you are right it is near Atocha. Actually it is right near the Anton Martin Metro Stop so it was pretty convienient. Make sure you BRING your confirmation with you though!!! It didn't pose to be a big problem, but I can see where it might.
The funny part about Hostal Martin, was when we got there we were placed in another hostal. Granted it was in the same building, but I thought it was kind of strange. I think all of the hostals in the building are connected so if you book with one place, you might actually being staying in other place. Keep in mind, the people in hostal Cervelo (2nd floor) speak English and can help you out with any questions you may have. Nice place. Nice people and not too pricey. I'd recommend it in a minute.

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-21-2001).]

#1668 - 04/01/01 07:05 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
LANENI Offline

Loc: TRUJILLO ALTO, PR
We stayed in Hostal Martin two years ago and found it quiet, clean and friendly. We're planning another trip for May and will be contacting them for reservations. We were also confused about the other hostal in the building, Cervelo but it seems they work cooperatively or maybe are owned by the same family members. When we were there, they were undergoing construction on the facade but the rooms were never dusty. It's air-conditioned which is a boost.
Laneni

#1669 - 04/01/01 10:13 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
josie Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, MD, USA
I also have just made a reservation at Hostal Martin for my daughter and I for a week in May. It was easily done by email and fax. My confirmation letter says that I should contact them at Recepcion: Hostal Cervelo, so I take it that hostals Martin and Cervelo are...well, different, but operated by the same folks. As long as we have a nice room I don't care which hostal it is actually in (at least, I don't think I care). I can't wait to be in Madrid again!

#1670 - 04/04/01 11:41 AM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
Amy25 Offline

Loc: Troy, MI USA
I was in Madrid in March and I too made a reservation at Hostal Martin. I ended staying at Hostal Bermejo (Madrid), which is in the same building and run by the same folks. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly smile . They even let us store our luggage when we took an overnight trip to Toldeo. I highly reccomend them. Make sure you bring your confirmation letter! wink

#1671 - 04/05/01 01:47 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

[Originally posted by FriendlyDoc on 4/5/01 @ 1:29pm..]

Well, we're back from 2 weeks in Madrid and 1 week in Benamadina. Thought I'd give my impression of Hostal Martin. We had a great stay.

We stayed in the family room (one full-size, 3 twins). The room was not spacious, but what can you expect with four beds in the room. The great part about Hostal Martin was the people. They were great! Jesus speaks English (and we needed that kind of communication sometimes to understand directions), and he always gave us his time when we needed it. He recommended restaurants, explained the tren arrangements, and even found us a wonderful apartment on the beach for our last week.

If you want a clean, honest hostal in downtown Madrid... Hostal Martin is a good choice. They're good people there and the location is central to everything!

If you want suggestions on restaurants and other advice, based on our trip, search all the topics for my postings.

#1672 - 04/09/01 01:41 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
dara Offline

I stayed at Hostal Martin last August. I thought that the rooms were very nice, for the price, but there were a few things that I did notlike about the hostal. I found some of the people that ran the establishment to be difficult to work with. They wanted to charge me more than I owed them. I also didn't like, if I am remembering correctly, that the hostal's door locked behind you when you left the hostal and behind you when you entered the hostal. Over all, I found the rooms to be very clean and really nicely kept, but i found it a little unpleseant to deal with the owners.

#1673 - 04/12/01 11:47 AM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
kbc123 Offline

Loc: Barcelona, Spain
Can anyone tell me about how much the Hostal Martin runs for a single per night? Thanks. confused

#1674 - 04/12/01 05:41 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
kbc 123

Try looking at their site;
web page

Unfortunately, I'm not clever and can't get it to look nice and neat and just say Hostal Martin frown

Jo-Anne

[ 04-12-2001: Message edited by: Jo-Anne ]

#1675 - 04/20/01 01:02 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
vfamily Offline

Loc: USA
This is a great resource! We're going to be in Spain for a month this summer, mostly on the coast near Valencia (beach apartment) but want to spend the last 5 or 6 days in Madrid. We have 4 kids ranging from 3-15. Hostal Martin says they have room for us, Can anyone tell me if they have "full size" bathrooms with American type showers? How would people rate the accommodations, say compared to roadside motels in the US?
Thanks.

#1676 - 04/20/01 02:04 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi vfamily!! While I did not tour Hostal Martin during last October's trip, I did through 9-10 others and they all had stardard size, NON-AMERICAN-size bathrooms. That is to say, they were all nearly the same: SMALL. I suppose they might be a little larger than the size of a basement bathroom or ground-level halfbath which would not have a shower (in the USA), but in Spain they fit a small bath/shower into the same space.

Space is difficult to find in these old buildings and so the bathrooms typically have a half-bath, coiled, hand-held or hang-able showerhead hose, a small sink and little more than a few inches in front of your knees to the wall if you happen to be "sitting down" wink .

The bathrooms in Spain's hostels, as I said, on the high average, are only built for one person of "normal size".

jdowney, are you back yet?? How was your Hostal Martin experience? Amy25, any comments about the bathroom size?

Saludos, MadridMan

#1677 - 04/20/01 02:55 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I stayed at Hostal Martin last November. The bathroom (and bedroom) was BIGGER than the other hostales I stayed in Spain. It was also very clean as I remember! However, as I posted a few months ago on another thread, they did not let me check in until almost 8PM at night when I arrived in the AFTERNOON! When we desperately wanted to check in (had reservations) and sleep! It is a good hostal, though - if they let you into your room!

#1678 - 04/21/01 06:43 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
Jaime Offline

I also stayed at Hostal Martin when I was in Madrid and I found it to be very clean and secure. It was also nice because it was so close to many things.

#1679 - 04/24/01 01:29 AM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
Grace Offline

I'm planning to visit Madrid this coming July. Have anyone stayed in Hotel San Cruz near Plaza Mayor & Train Sol Station before. How does it compare to hostel T.i.j.c.a.l???

Help!Help!

#1680 - 04/28/01 08:36 AM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
jdowney Offline

Loc: Newport Beach, Ca. 92663
I am in Hostel Cervelo/Martin and it is going well. It is about 6.900 per night not including a 7% tax. My room is facing the street which makes it very noisey at night so bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. The people speak english and are very helpful. My room is clean and I even have my own bath. I reccomend this hotel and it is in a good location- Many things near by. Hostel Cervelo is on floor 1 and Hostel Martin on floor 3. Lots of stairs but there is a very small elevator. Go for it and have fun.
Jill laugh

#1681 - 05/17/01 02:14 PM Re: Hostal Martin (Madrid)
josie Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, MD, USA
Hola everyone, my daughter and I are presently in Madrid staying at Hostal Martin . Just as the people before me have posted, it is a very pleasant and clean place. Our room is small but adequate--we´re only there to sleep, after all, and the even smaller bathroom is cleaned every day--new towels, too. We are on the interior courtyard, very quiet except for this morning when a couple of guys (American, I´´m pretty sure) came home at 6 am and were talking and laughing at top volume. Grrr. Otherwise it´s a great place, after all you can get noise like that anywhere. Anyway, we´re having a wonderful time, even the times when we don´t seem to know what we´re doing. I´ll report more later in my trip, or maybe when I get home (the time goes so fast in a cybercafe--gotta go!) But I want to say thanks to MM for hosting this board and to all of you who have taken the time to share your experiences in España, because they are definitely making this trip better for my daughter and me. Hasta luego, josie

[ 05-17-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 148 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments