MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16319 - 12/28/05 04:38 PM in flight meals chicago-madrid
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I'm flying Iberia again (yes, by choice!) Jan 1st (soon..yippee!), from Chicago to Madrid. Ive flown this route before and they always had pretty decent inflight meals, both a dinner, and breakfast. Rumor has it that Iberia no longer provides free in flight meals... even on transatlantic flights... is this true??? Kelly

#16320 - 12/28/05 05:10 PM Re: in flight meals chicago-madrid
gregorio Offline

Loc: seattle
I took the same flight last Jan/Feb and we got a meal, I thought I heard some gruffing that that might have been suspsended, but really have no clue.

#16321 - 12/28/05 08:11 PM Re: in flight meals chicago-madrid
Gretchen6 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
I also took the same flight March/April of this year. We had good food twice on each flight. I can't imagine this not being offered on such a long flight. Let us know.

#16322 - 12/28/05 10:13 PM Re: in flight meals chicago-madrid
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

looked around online, and at Iberia's site, and it appears to be true... no free in flight meals... OR drinks! According to Iberia's website, they now have a menu you have to order from. A cofee? 1.50 euros. Sandwichs run around 6 euros. That seems insane to me for a flight that long!
Kelly

#16323 - 12/29/05 10:18 AM Re: in flight meals chicago-madrid
Gretchen6 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Yiiikes. Kelly what is the World coming to? In the old days I would have starved on the flight home. It wasn't unusual to return home without a single Peseta in my pocket smile

#16324 - 12/29/05 01:16 PM Re: in flight meals chicago-madrid
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Flew Iberia from London to Madrid in June and we had not changed money yet (flew BA from L.A. to London), no food at Heathrow because our connection time was minimal, so we basically starved till we got to Madrid. Luckily, my 16 month old (at the time) had a bag full of yummy food for her, or the whole cabin would have really been miserable!!!
I couldn't believe they even charged for water!!!

#16325 - 01/11/06 10:10 PM Re: in flight meals chicago-madrid
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Update: Just got back from Granada, and in fact, Iberia did serve us the two meals on the Chicago-Madrid route going, and also the Madrid-New York route coming back. I was curious about this since the website there are no free meals ony any of their flights though, so I asked the flight attendant. She said that the only routes they serve meals on are Spain-US/Canada/Latin America routes. On all there domestic, europe, england flights they have the silly tu menu thing through which they charge for EVERYTHING, even water.

Another note on Iberia: I know they have a bad rap, but once again, this trip only made me more willing to keep flying with them. Getting back to the USA was a mess, but they handled it better than I ever expected. Coming back they cancelled all morning flights from granada, including my granada-madrid flight due to bad weather. Yikes! This resulted in craziness and loooong lines of people trying to rebook onto later flights. This was also a prob for me.. as i was now going to miss my madrid-new york flight. After hours of lines, and various ticket agents and phone calls, i finally got up there and was told there was no room on any of the remaining flights to madrid for that day, but the agent saw i was connecting in madrid and then continued to book me onto the next flight, bumped me up to first class where there were still seats, and then proceeded to hand tag my luggage as priority, hold the flight, run me through security and to the gate, and thankfully i just made the flight. I was really surprised by the extra effort after hearing so many iberia horror stories! I got to madrid and got on a wait list for the 2nd flight of the day to new york, and thankfully got on that flight. But unfortunately the fun was not over as for "security reasons" the flight was diverted to Boston, eventually after sitting on the plane for 2 hours in Boston, we continued on to New York. Of course that meant everybody had missed connecting flights. I figured id be spending the night in the JFK airport considering my connecting flight was on American, but was suprised when Iberia actually put all 100 or so of us who had missed connections up in a nice hotel, with free dinner and breakfast voutchers, and was rebooked on the next flight out in the morning on Delta, since all the American flights were full until the afternoon. I know lots of people have had bad experiences with Iberia so when things went bad i expected the worse, but was pleasantly suprised with how they handled the entire ordeal. Happy Travels! :-) Kelly

#16326 - 01/12/06 04:28 AM Re: in flight meals chicago-madrid
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Regarding the meals question, policy seems to be as follows, economy class on national and european short and medium hauls (that seem to exclude Athens for example) do not have free meals. The rest have them.

#16327 - 01/12/06 11:05 AM Re: in flight meals chicago-madrid
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Kelly,

Are you and I the only board members that say good things about Iberia? I've flown Iberia clap a number of times and have always had far superior flights than on any US carrier. 'Thou nothing to compare to your story ...

#16328 - 01/12/06 11:36 AM Re: in flight meals chicago-madrid
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Kelly, I am so glad to hear about Iberia´s terrific service for you. In my mind, that makes up for having the worst food I have ever eaten on a flight. How does one make pasta and tomato sauce taste so awful! I would rather bring my own food and have an airline take care of me when weather strikes than gourmet meals and cut me loose to spend days sleeping in an airport.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments