MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#15985 - 08/10/05 05:34 AM History of Canfranc Rail Station
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
canfranc project

For anyone into history of Spanish trains/Franco/Jews/Hitler, the above link may prove extremely interesting

#15986 - 08/10/05 08:24 AM Re: History of Canfranc Rail Station
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Interesting website. That train station in the mountains is truly ghostly! eek

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#15987 - 08/10/05 10:50 AM Re: History of Canfranc Rail Station
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Thanks for the info Filbert! We are headed to the Pyrenees this weekend for our vacation. I think that will be one of our new "must see" points!

#15988 - 08/10/05 08:32 PM Re: History of Canfranc Rail Station
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Canfranc is a really tiny, slightly rundown town in a very picturesque setting. I wouldn't count on spending much time there, but I suppose - maybe - it's worth a short stop if you're on your way to the French border, or visiting the ski areas of Astun and/or Candanchu. I'm not sure I'd recommend a trip just to visit Canfranc when there are so many other more interesting and beautiful (in my opinion) places to visit in Jacetania (the area around Jaca), especially if you're not there for long.

There has been talk over the years about opening the station again to restart the route between Spain and France. I don't know where things stand now on that issue.

(Can the title of this thread be changed to reflect the correct spelling of Canfranc?)

#15989 - 08/12/05 04:48 AM Re: History of Canfranc Rail Station
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Title changed!

#15990 - 08/23/05 01:29 PM Re: History of Canfranc Rail Station
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi everyone!

Well, we are back from our 10-day vacation in the Pyrenees mountains, one of our favorite vacation spots in Spain. If you love the mountains, it is a place you must see.

Filbert, thanks again for posting the information about the train station. While Diana was right, Canfranc the town isn't much of anything, just the sight of the enormous train station was incredible. Nestled in the far end to the town with the mountains rising up behind it made for a very picturesque scene. Once I get our pics uploaded to our website, I will post one here so everyone can see the station.

After visiting Canfranc, we headed over to France where we had lunch before returning to Spain. smile

Diana also mentioned visiting Astun. I surmise that it would be an interesting tour to do if you are in the area. During the summer months they have the ski lifts operating, taking tourists up to see the glacier lakes hidden in the mountain tops. We opted not to do the tour since we had already done something similar in Panticosa in the Valle de Tena which is just east of Jacetania.

We know the Valle de Tena quite well as that is where we usually go, so getting over to Canfranc was a good excuse to see a different valley in the Pyrenees.

When I get around to it, I will put a more detailed post together about our adventures this summer in the Pyrenees (the last two days we were there, it actually snowed high up in the mountains! In AUGUST!! eek )

#15991 - 08/24/05 02:21 AM Re: History of Canfranc Rail Station
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Sooo good to remember this little place. It's a beautiful valley (Aragon Valley) where I spent many winters during my youth.
This is where I learned ski, I always will remember this place.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments