Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#15819 - 05/21/05 09:27 PM Madrid: Getting to Hostal Lopez from Madrid-Barajas Airport?
00chris Offline

I'm planning a trip to Spain this fall and if all goes well will be staying in Hostal Lopez after reading the great reviews here on MadridMan's site. I'm just wondering what will be the easiest way to get myself and my luggage from the airport to the hostel?

Although I know it'll be a little more expensive, I'm thinking maybe a Taxi would be the easiest since I could walk out of the airport and load my luggage and go. If I give the directions on the hostal's site to the taxi driver will I have any problems?

The directions on the site are as follows:
Quote:
Una vez en el Paseo de Prado se debe tomar la calle Lope de Vega y torcer a la izquierda en la segunda calle llamada Costanilla de las Trinitarias, el taxista puede dejarles en la esquina de esa calle con la calle Huertas. El Hostal López esta muy cerca de esa esquina y podrán ver el rótulo del Hostal desde allí.
I don't even care if the taxi driver gets me that close, as long as he lets me off someplace where I can easily walk with my luggage to the hostel. I've also been looking into Aerocity and other options, but I may choose a taxi just for its ease. Anyone have any recommendations/advice? Thanks a lot!

#15820 - 05/22/05 03:21 AM Re: Madrid: Getting to Hostal Lopez from Madrid-Barajas Airport?
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Hi 00chris
Unless you are infirm, have difficulty walking or have lots of luggage, I would recommend using the Metro. You may have a few steps to climb when you change trains, but if you are reasonably fit, then you should manage this.
I recently travelled to the centre of Madrid from the Airport with a large suitcase and I am in my 50s (just!).
The Metro is very cheap, about 1 Euro for a single journey (or buy a 10 journey ticket for about 6 Euros). It is good value with frequent trains. The Hostal Lopez website hase ample instructions in English and a Metro map at: http://www.hostallopez.com/location.html
Good luck
Robbieroy

#15821 - 05/22/05 07:08 AM Re: Madrid: Getting to Hostal Lopez from Madrid-Barajas Airport?
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
00Chris,

I've never had any problems with the taxis from the airport to the hostals. Usually just the name of the hostal is good enough for the driver. If not, then the general area, such as Puerto del Sol, for Plaza Cibeles. Don't worry, they'll take you right to the door. I think they've done it many, many times before.

Have a nice trip.

#15822 - 05/22/05 10:53 AM Re: Madrid: Getting to Hostal Lopez from Madrid-Barajas Airport?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hostal López is located on Calle de las Huertas. This is an all pedestrian street and no traffic of any kind is allowed except for a couple hours for deliveries/shipping/receiving.

A taxi will take you as close as possible, probably one block away, and will drop you there where you'll walk the rest of the way. The fine people at Hostal López are not completely happy with the new pedestrianization of their street. While it looks nice and has really cut down on traffic noise, unfortunately they've also seen a drop in business because off accessibility.

But once you're checked in, I'd imagine it would be nice to walk out the door at night and not having any concern for cars/taxis buzzing by. I remember before the sidewalks were so narrow on each side of the street that two people couldn't pass without one going INTO the street and Calle de las Huertas was always had full, slow moving traffic. MUCH better now.

Best of luck! Hope to get your review of the famed Hostal López upon your return.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments