MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#15705 - 05/23/05 06:28 AM Re: Air Plus Comet
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hmm.. At home I have the latest version of Firefox too and can't see it on my 6-month old laptop with XP. Must be a conflict somewhere. Here at work I use the Opera browser and the website (flash pop-up and all) is shown perfectly well. Odd.

Saludos, MadridMan confused

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#15706 - 05/23/05 11:42 AM Re: Air Plus Comet
lngarrison Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Here is my boyfriend's experience on Air Plus Comet on his flight on Fri. May 20th from JFK to MAD:

People at ticketing seemed to have the typical rude NYC attitude.. the girl at the counter told me “I didn’t call for the next person in line" and stated "I can’t help you until all the suitcases are gone”. I apologized and backed out of the "line", but then she insisted on taking my ticket. There wasn’t any sign or announcement saying wait to be called and there wasn't really a "line".

By the time she was done and had given me my boarding pass, all the suitcases were gone. Of course, once I made her aware of this fact, she had no comment.

The same thing happened at the security checkpoint. They seem to have this impatience for nothing. The place was empty, no one in front and no one behind me. It took me about 20 seconds to produce my boarding pass and passport, I gave the guy my ticket and he asked me if I had the boarding pass, I said "yes" and by the time we were done there were only 2 people waiting behind me. He then grunted and scolded me, stating that "you see!! All these people are waiting because you were slow!"

I smiled because I knew that his attitude was DEFINTELY not the Spanish way and kept going.

Security at Terminal 1 has a new machine that smells explosive particles, that was fun. It blew air when you passed through it and looked like a sci-fi novel time capsule.

The waiting lounge was ok, with nice chairs and a ot of people, many Asians, Koreans and such waiting for their planes.

When the time to board the plane, they called for rows like other airline, but at this instance, people were flooding the gate and thinking that the plane might leave without them!

Half of the people in front of me were turned around because the hadn’t been called yet, funny how we are in Spain. There are no such things as lines or cues.

Once inside the airplane, the first thing that caught my attention was the hostess, good looking lady all dress in flaming red. Then I took my seat on board of a Air burs 300-310, which sounds like a hybrid model, like a Toyota tercel-camry.

It looked cheap and it proved to be narrow seating. And I'm 6'2" and weigh about 150 pounds (i.e. tall and lankey)! The seats in front of you is about 70 cm (from my elbow to my middle finger) and from the hand rester to the back of the chair in front of me there are about 15 cm (8 fingers) to squeeze your thighs when you go to the restroom. It might become impossible for a large person to sit here.

The hostesses are all ladies in their twenties changed clothes after greeting us, they are all good looking Spanish females with big boobs and nice smiles. They first wear a red skirt with a rather generous middle crack in the skirt that shows their legs.

After welcoming us to the plane, they change into a red top that follows closely their figure with blue pants and blue and red shoes. There are about five tending the tourist class.

The food, I can’t say much about it because I didn’t try it, there were two choices, beef or chicken, it is served with a small green salad a desert that looked like a fruit cake spread cheese and bread.

You can order one drink for free and pay for the second one. The hostess notes how many drinks you’ve had, but it didn’t seem to be a very reliable tally so you can probably have more than one drink on the house if you asked different waitresses, although I didn’t try this.

They also serve coffee and tea, the coffee is not bad and closer to the Spanish taste than what you’d find at Starbucks.

There’s not a lot of on-board entertainment. There are 5 TV screens on the tourist class and they showed a movie after the meal. The screens are quite small and the video quality sucks. It looks like the kind of TV you would find on a bus.

The movie they were showing was “madre a la fuerza” it sounds like “forced mother”, but in Spanish it means something like “necessity mother” or something like that. It looks like a bad American flick.

They give you plastic headphones, the kind that works only on airplanes and I can’t talk about the sound quality because mine broke while trying to squeeze out of my seat.

The captain spoke after departing on the PA and he said we would get to Madrid through the Azores Islands, then Santiago, after Zamora and then later straight to Madrid. That was surprising because when I catch a plane to Paris or Frankfurt, it always goes up to Canada and then it makes it to Europe.

The captain was undeniably from Spain. He was soft spoken and mumbled. When he spoke through the PA, wasn’t too loud as in the United flight I caught earlier in the day from DC to NY.

The plane is supposed to make it to Madrid in 6h 30 minutes, which is not too bad.

I almost forgot, the restrooms have soap bars but only 4 or 5 so you have to share them with the rest of the plane, I think that the 4 or 5 that make it first to the restrooms wash their hands with the soap and the rest, like me, just washed their hands with water. There’s something about used soap bars that doesn’t look good although probably the germs don’t last too long on the surface of them.

So that’s all from the plane, more impressions later on the way back.

#15707 - 05/23/05 11:26 PM Re: Air Plus Comet
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
How do you get flights originating at JFK? On the web site it seems to only offer flights originating in Madrid.

#15708 - 05/30/05 04:09 PM Re: Air Plus Comet
rstomber Offline

Hola to all!!!

Wifey and I just returned from our week to Spain that included Madrid, Barcelona and a day trip to Toledo!! It was just awesome.

Regarding Air Plus Comet ...

The Positives:
We got there safely and were generally happy with the service.

The Negatives:
Difficulty in hearing any communications from the captain during the flight. The flight going to Spain did not have a map showing the route of the plane which I typically like to follow.

One bathroom at the rear of the plane was just terrible. They should have kept the door closed. There's no way I would use that bathroom. But the others were fine.

Generally speaking, I would not hesitate using Air Comet again if I were going to Spain.

The most annoying thing in Spain was at the airports there. You will not be notified over the PA system when you will be boarding!! You have to look for yourself on the screens posted around the airport. I never experienced anything like that before anywhere. And one time a gate was changed and we almost did not pick up on that. This was not the fault of Air Comet. They had nothing to do with it. It's just the way things are done in the Madrid and Barcelona airports.

Hope this is helpful.

#15709 - 01/29/06 05:22 PM Re: Air Plus Comet
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Let me ask again, please. Did anyone ever find a way to get flights on Airplus Comet originating in New York? I'm able to access the web site, but only for flights originating in Spain. Is it possible to originate in New York? How did you do it?
When I use Priceline, the price comes up over $900, but if I use Air Plus Comet web site, the price comes up just over $530, same dates, originating in Spain. Wow, that's a huge difference. And, yes, both quotes are in U.S. dollars.

thanks

#15710 - 01/30/06 08:42 AM Re: Air Plus Comet
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
When searching on Orbitz Website for flights from JFK to Madrid, they were listed on the search.

Bill

#15711 - 02/11/06 09:11 PM Re: Air Plus Comet
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
yes, check orbitz and I think travelocity as well. We flew them last summer and will never do it again. The fair was cheap, but we're not convinced it was worth it. We flew out of JFK, took us 4hrs to drive there.....but 7hrs to drive home due to city traffic in NYC and NJ. Last I knew, they only flew between JFK and Madrid on Fridays. Driving out of NYC on a Friday afternoon was virtually impossible. On the plane itself, seats were small, old and cramped. Food was bad (bring your own). The flights were timely and the staff seemed friendly. But we still felt like hogs in the back of a truck. :-(

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments