Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#153 - 07/17/00 01:37 PM small favour... (Barcelona/Ibiza)
egirl Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
the girls are going to spain in august and would love some advice on hostales in barcelona and ibiza. we're looking for places that are reasonably priced, safe and CLEAN!
any help would be much appreciated...
thanks!

#154 - 07/17/00 01:49 PM Re: small favour... (Barcelona/Ibiza)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi egirl! Welcome to the group.
For hostales/hostels in Barcelona I would suggest reading through the "Barcelona Hostels/Pensiones Links" thread in this forum. There might even be one on Ibiza, but I don't think so. Best of luck and know that "the girls" will certainly have "TOO MUCH fun" on their trip, especially in Ibiza!

Saludos, MadridMan

--------------------
DOZENS of Spain Flamenco, Guitar, and Pop-Music CDs JUST ADDED to MadridMan's ALL Spain Market !

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#155 - 07/17/00 04:58 PM Re: small favour... (Barcelona/Ibiza)
dave d Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
hi, i'm also going to Barcelona and Ibiza.

In Barcelona you should have no trouble getting a room. We are staying right off of Las Ramblas.

In Ibiza its a little harder. Try www.ibizaholidays.com for a list of every single hostel and hotel in Ibiza. We just called around until we found one. We had to call around 25 hotels until we found one with room in August. We are staying in San Antonio, which is on the west side of Ibiza.

from our research, the 2 best places to stay are San Antonio and Ibiza capital. Also they are only around 15km apart so its easy to travel between the two.

#156 - 07/17/00 06:44 PM Re: small favour... (Barcelona/Ibiza)
egirl Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks MadridMan and Dave D for your quick responses. I tried to make a reservation at the Hotel Toledano but they are completely booked. Same with some other places around town that are hostal-like and not upper end hotels. Any other good suggestions?

Also, Dave D - how difficult is it to book a hotel in Ibiza without knowing much Spanish? The Berlitz tapes haven't done me much good yet :-(

Many thanks in advance!

#157 - 07/17/00 07:00 PM Re: small favour... (Barcelona/Ibiza)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi egirl,

Amazingly, the question should be how difficult is it to book a hotel or to go to a restaurant *knowing* Spanish?.

Ibiza and Mallorca is so crowded of English and German people that it is difficult to find Spanish people there.

My sister went to Palma two years ago and the waiter at the restaurant only spoke German!!.

I don't like what they are doing in those places. They are turning Spain into part of England and Germany. I don't know why the government allow them to put signs and notices in German and not in Spanish.

Regards,

Antonio

#158 - 07/18/00 12:36 AM Re: small favour... (Barcelona/Ibiza)
dave d Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
hey egirl. i'm actually staying at hotel toledano in Barcelona

this was our first choice and we are lucky we got it, but we had many backups.

our 2nd choice was Hostal Fernando. Right smack in the middle of Las Ramblas (even more central than Toledano). According to many travel guides it "sparkles with cleanliness". A double with bath is around 6000 ptas. the # is: 34 93 301 79 93

we called them when we were booking for Barcelona and they had room. i suggest you call them right away! the only reason we went with Hotel Toledano is becaue it has 24hr reception and we are arriving in Barcelona late at night. We are not sure what kind of reception Hostal Fernando has.

Our 3rd choice was Hostal Fontanella. phone # is: 34 93 317 59 43. According to the travel books it has "hotel quality beds + baths". Doubles with showers are 5600 ptas.

I would be more worried about Ibiza. We just booked our hotel a few days ago. We are staying at Hotel Brisa which is in San Antonio. give them a try.

Alot of the smaller places don't speak english too well (look at the # of rooms beside the list of hotels at www.ibizaholidays.com )

with the bigger hotels they can understand no problem.

If you don't end up getting a hotel, i wouldn't rule out just showing up in August. Alot of the smaller places we called said we couldnt make reservations because August was too far away.

good luck.

when exactly are you going? we will be in Barcelona from Aug 12th-19th, then Ibiza from 19th-26th. Maybe we'll see you there and we can go for a drink

#159 - 07/18/00 08:30 AM Re: small favour... (Barcelona/Ibiza)
Lola Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
One thing to remember, August is Holiday time in Europe. The beaches will be full and some shops may be closed. Just check your tourista books. Have Fun !!!

#160 - 07/18/00 01:28 PM Re: small favour... (Barcelona/Ibiza)
Express Offline

Loc: Canada
Wow, these are close to my time plans as well. I dropped Ibiza off the list though cause I figured for the money, I will chill in Lagos for a little longer. I mean i heard the cover at bars is like 50 bucks and drinks are 10 each. That is a little out of the Express's budget at this point. Let me know if i am wrong.

As for Barcalona, I am thinking about hitting the Kabul...any opinions on that?? That whole "Sparkling with cleanliness" thing at Fernando caught my attention though. Thanks for the help.

Peace

#161 - 07/18/00 01:28 PM Re: small favour... (Barcelona/Ibiza)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
egirl, have "the girls" make their reservations for Ibiza IMMEDIATELY and then confirm them a week or two before arriving! Hopefully it's not too late already. This place, as you've read from the others who have replied, is PARTY CENTRAL and is extremely difficult to find reasonable lodging.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#162 - 07/18/00 02:59 PM Re: small favour... (Barcelona/Ibiza)
sarahq Offline

Loc: Plymouth, U.K.
Hi Girls I've just come back from travelling around spain and Portugal. I highly recomend your idea of staying in Lagos for longer, it is fantastic! cheap with great nightlife and not too many "package " tourists, and superb beaches.

As for Barcelona Kabul comes highly recomended but it is really difficult to get a bed there. I stayed in ABBA youth hostel rough and ready but v. cheap with 22 hr reception (closed between 2.00 and 4.00pm for lunch) which provides free strorage lockers and dormitories, which are a great way of meeting people!

All I can say is book before you go as I spent a morning walking around different establishments too cries of complete!
Have a great trip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
zurra, Computist, ChrisJL3471, bong leal70, traveler2020
7775 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MsWebWyz, November
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1259 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments