Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#14921 - 08/27/04 09:55 AM Re: airport to madrid
redbird Offline

Ignacio, was just wondering, is the problem with the long subway corridors at Nuevos Ministerios the safety issue of possibly getting robbed? That would definitely not be a good way to begin our trip, so the metro - taxi combo is sounding the best way to Estation Sur. Thanks. Robin

#14922 - 08/27/04 03:34 PM Re: airport to madrid
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
My kids and I have done the airport to bus station several times using the metro. It is simple and we have not had to walk terribly far or do stairs. I think it takes 45 minutes to an hour once you get on the train. Remember that it is a good 10 minute walk to the subway and you need to get a ticket. Buying a ticket from the machines is faster and often there is no line. Clearing customs is usually no more than walking out the door, but getting your luggage can take some time. Also, flights are often late arriving. Last summer our flight was delayed until the next day and then arrived an additional 3 hours late. Some folks on that flight were delayed 2 or 3 days because everything was booked. Make certain you have some flexibility in your schedule just in case.

#14923 - 08/27/04 06:09 PM Re: airport to madrid
redbird Offline

Sel, thanks for the input. It sounds easy to take the metro to Estacion Sur & definitely fastest. We plan to carry on our luggage, small backpacks & that should help save time, but I probably have planned the connection too tight! I have already purchased our bus tickets thru Movelia\'s web site , so hope that is not a problem if we miss the 11:30 bus. Will have to keep our fingers crossed our flight does not get delayed! rolleyes Thanks. Robin

#14924 - 08/27/04 10:44 PM Re: airport to madrid
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I have made an 11:00 bus to Toledo once before so I know it is possible. Life is much easier when you do not check luggage. Just have a plan B in case you are delayed!! Since there is a bus to Toledo every half hour, I never have to worry or buy bus tickets in advance which is nice. Good luck!!

#14925 - 08/28/04 12:02 AM Re: airport to madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can be pretty sure that there will be no violence in the subway. Only very scarce times a problem happens in any point of the network, most of those few times, fascists battering inmigrants, but it's really very very strange. you could be using metro 10 years and see none of these.

So, you can be 99,9999% sure that you will suffer no violent robbing, but you need to be well aware of pickpockets, which are among the finest in the world and are fonder on tourists. But having your luggage in front of you and cheking it after any strange happening, like somebody pushing you or something should be more than enough.

Just be aware and you can be sure that you'll have no violence or pickpocketing. Sounds a little paranoid, since almost all the people you'll find will be honest, but you have to be a bit more areful because tourists use to bring valuables and more cash on them.

Anyway, I would suggest the hybrid one because it's less time, not so much money (maybe 6 euros if few traffic), you don't have to walk ten or fifteen minutes through the subway halls with your luggage, and you´ll be safer (although it's not too dangerous)

#14926 - 08/29/04 06:38 PM Re: airport to madrid
redbird Offline

Thanks, Sel & Ignacio. It's good to have these two options in case our plane is delayed, or maybe we will use the "hybrid method" so we will see a little more of the city. That is the only thing I don't like about the Metro!

MadridMan, this is a great website & answers a lot of questions for us travelling to Spain!

#14927 - 08/30/04 03:27 PM Re: airport to madrid
funes Offline

Loc: chicago
So what is the cost of the bus from the airport to Plaza Colon? Based on what I've read on this thread, I've decided to do this and take a cab or bus onward to Hostel Adriano.

Thanks,
Funes

#14928 - 08/30/04 06:44 PM Re: airport to madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

It used to be around 2 euro. Maybe 3 now?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments