Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#14901 - 08/08/04 11:17 AM airport to madrid
Doe77 Offline

Loc: USA
What is the best way for 2 people to go from the airport to hotel in Madrid?

#14902 - 08/08/04 11:42 AM Re: airport to madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello Doe77! Welcome to our little message board!! smile

Please give us YOUR definition of "Best". Does "Best" mean "Cheapest"? "Fastest"? "Most comfortable"? "Safest"?

The cheapest would be by metro.
The fastest would be by taxi.
The most comfortable would be by taxi.
The safest would be by airport shuttle AeroCITY shuttle .

Some of the above options are better than others if your group has more than one person. Some of the above options are better if you're comfortable sharing your "space" with others. One of the above options are cheaper if you don't mind standing for up to an hour on your way to your hotel (if you're staying at a hotel, that is). Some options are better if you have little luggage.

Please give us some more definition of "Best" and we'll try to narrow our suggestions to meet your needs. Thanks and good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#14903 - 08/08/04 05:14 PM Re: airport to madrid
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I have been using what I like to call the"hybrid" method. I take the bus into Plaza Colon and then a short taxi ride to the city center. It combines economy and convenience and you avoid the 4 euro airport supplement. The bus stop is right outside where customs is and the metro is a bit of a walk from terminal 1, especially with luggage.

On the way back, I either reverse the procees or if I am on Iberia I cab it to Nuevos Ministerios, check my baggage there and am off to Barajas via the metro.

However, if the flight was bad or late, I chuck it all and cab it the whole way! laugh

#14904 - 08/08/04 07:01 PM Re: airport to madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
It depends somewhat on what hotel you are going to: Nuevos Ministerios is great for the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza, for example; but not so good for the Palace. rolleyes

I'd have to go with Aerocity for door-to-door Service to any Madrid Hotel. cool

#14905 - 08/08/04 07:47 PM Re: airport to madrid
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
From Barajas...I always take the bus to Plaza Colón (I love the view of the city, with all its changes, as I enter it each time) and then a cab to my hostal.

However, on the way back to the airport I don't want to chance anything (like traffic jams... or shlepping luggage through the metro while at a full gallop and possibly losing something...like my mind) so I take the Aerocity limo. They, for me, have been always proven to be punctual and accurate...with time and price.

Sheryl

#14906 - 08/08/04 07:50 PM Re: airport to madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'm surprised to read the above few postings regarding the bus to Plaza de Colón. I thought no one used that anymore. Have you used it in the last couple of years? What kinds of buses do you ride? How about the bus station (or wherever you stop) at the Plaza de Colón? Does it seems clean, safe, fine? I'm really interested to know. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan confused

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#14907 - 08/08/04 08:57 PM Re: airport to madrid
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

The airport bus is just a plain Madrid city bus that happens to stop/start at the airport. It makes several stops along the way. You catch it under Pza. Colon by going downstairs. I believe there is also an elevator. If you haven't seen it, it would be easy to miss it as the entrance is very non-descript.

I like that it departs from in front of the customs exit. The walk to the metro at Barajas can be a bear after 13 hours en route!

#14908 - 08/08/04 09:21 PM Re: airport to madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Mongo (et. al.), if these are standard city buses making this route I doubt they have any kind of luggage racks, correct? And you say it makes several stops from the airport to Plaza de Colón? Where else does it stop? And how much does it cost? How long do you have to wait until the next one arrives at the airport or how often do they leave?

Saludos, MadridMan

#14909 - 08/08/04 10:25 PM Re: airport to madrid
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

I'm not clear on all the details (mostly because I didn't think I would have to remember! laugh ) There may be some modified racks. It is not a luxury motor coach. I usually sit in the back and put my bags on the shelf under the back window. The cost is low, around 3 euros. You pay the driver when you board. I'm not sure if you can use metro tickets. It departs fairly frequently, at least every 10-15 minutes. I have missed it by seconds and have not had to wait long.

It seems to me, again I don't recall every detail, you go down c/O'Donnel to Avenida La Paz and then you pick up Avenida de America. It doesn't stop on every block but I recall several city stops and they pull off the freeway to stop also.

Coming in in the afternoon can take awhile, but it moves pretty fast in the mid-morning when most of the flights arrive from the US.

You can hook up with the metro via an underground tunnel, but I like to take a taxi.

A minor correction-The station is acually under the Jardin de Descubrimiento not the Plaza itself.

If I end up taking it in September, I'll be sure to take detailed notes!

#14910 - 08/09/04 03:03 AM Re: airport to madrid
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
It's a couple of years since I've used this bus, but seem to remember it is a dedicated airport bus and therefore is set up to easily accommodate luggage - I think there is an area on the bus where there is floor and shelf space, and also I think there is space between the seats (although I might be wrong there).

It is light and spacious and some of the seats are higher up at the back so you get a good view.

I do remember it could be a bit of a struggle, if you have lots of luggage, getting on at the front of the bus and paying the driver, but you get off via a big door in the middle of the bus which is easy.

I think Mongo's estimation of the price is about right, and you can't use your Metro ticket on it.

Next time I will look out for this tunnel that connects it to the Metro, because I have usually struggled up some steps, over a very busy main road and down some more (very long) steps into the Metro. I did think at the time that this was a bit inconvenient - will have to look more closely next time rolleyes

Jo

#14911 - 08/09/04 07:56 AM Re: airport to madrid
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I've taken the bus/taxi route many times. The bus DOES have a luggage rack inside (be sure to keep an eye on your bag(s)), and, if it is not full of touritsts with backpacks, is actually pleasant. The bus terminal at Cólon is a very small room with glass, rather dark. Most people just wait for the bus on the small concrete island sidewalk next to the small room. I don't know if I would feel comfortable there late at night, but in the daytime there are cabs there constantly, and I think it would be ok. Also if you are arriving from Barjas, you can go immediately outside to Plaza Cólon if you wish. The stairs up are right by the stop, and not long. Be sure to take the bus to Plaza Cólon, NOT to Barajas! They stop at the same place at the airport. The line is outside of the bottom level (arrivals), the middle island, NOT the sidewalk immediately outside the doors. Generally there is a line which you will notice (and generally a long one at that!) There is a sign, but I forget exactly what it says. I imagine it has a standard bus symbol and the route numbers (again I do not recall the route number).

The metro is a pain, many pickpockets, sometimes crowded, a long haul and you have to lug your luggage (is THAT why they call it LUGgage?) around.

If you are dead tired, take a cab directly to your hotel and pay the extra money. You'll be glad you did.

By the way, if you arrive after the money changing station is closed, or, like me, with no cash, only an ATM card, beware that you might not be able to use your card in the machine at the airport, or at least not the one by the money changing place. You may need to run around the airport (try the departures level too) to find an ATM machine which works. Even then you may be SOL. The best thing is to have at least a little travelers' checks on you, or better yet enough Euros to get you through until the next weekday. Credit cards are generally, but not universally, accepted, and the transportation providers are strictly cash, I believe.

#14912 - 08/09/04 09:47 AM Re: airport to madrid
Doe77 Offline

Loc: USA
THANK-YOU ALL for advice on transport.
Thank you MArtin for the ATM heads up. I always go without money and depend on the airport ATM to get strated....I guess I better not this trip

#14913 - 08/23/04 08:17 AM Re: airport to madrid
ColinK Offline

Loc: Atlantic Highlands, NJ- USA
So what would the price for a cab from the airport be approximately ? I know it can vary, but can anyone give me a general idea of what to expect ?

#14914 - 08/23/04 08:45 AM Re: airport to madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the old times I used to pay 12 euros TO the airport (FROM, they charge a plus, around 3 euros), but I live in the North area, which is an area you reach soon, coming for the airport.

Nowadays it should be 15/18 euros for this area (TO the airpot, +3 FROM the airport) and maybe up to 24 if it's the opposite part of the city, unless it's in the outskirts, which are areas that you're probably not going to.

Of course, that's with a reasonable traffic, if there is a traffic jam, who knows. I recommend metro or bus unless you are carrying too much weight.

#14915 - 08/23/04 02:22 PM Re: airport to madrid
funes Offline

Loc: chicago
This is a great thread-

I'll be arriving in Madrid on Sunday, September 5th and am planning on Mongo's "hybrid method"
of bus and taxi to Hostal Adriano. Will my Sunday arrival limit my options?

Thanks,
Funes

#14916 - 08/23/04 03:08 PM Re: airport to madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course, in Sunday there are both bus (I believe) and taxi, the only doubt is the frequency of the buses and the number of taxis, that could lead to a short delay.

Anyone?

#14917 - 08/24/04 05:28 PM Re: airport to madrid
tobbria Offline

Funes,
Let me know how did your travel from airport to
city go? and how much was the cost?we may stay in
same hostel "Adreana"let's know your experience with them. How much for 2pp 2bed's.planing to go in 3rd week of nov.where in chicago? i am in Albany Park.Thanks in advance if u can get this info.
Ugm

#14918 - 08/26/04 01:54 PM Re: airport to madrid
redbird Offline

We will be arriving at Madrid airport on Sept 13 @ 8:15am(if our plane is on time) & need to get to bus Estation Sur by 11:30am to go to Leon. Mongo's "hybrid method" of city bus & taxi sounds good to us, also, but do you think we will have enough time to make it, allowing 1 hr for customs & perhaps delayed flights? Am not even sure where Estation Sur is in Madrid. Thanks for your help.

#14919 - 08/26/04 06:23 PM Re: airport to madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

MOngo's system won't work just as designed, for Estación Sur is in the southern part of Central Madrid.

The central area of Madrid is sorrounded by a Highway that separates it from the outer neighbourhoods, its name is M-30. It's oval, but if it were round, Estación Sur would be in the 4 or 5 of the clock, absolutely close to the highway.

You should leave the airport line at Nuevos Ministerios and there change to the Circular line, that takes you to the E.S., the metro station is Mendez Alvaro, and it's within the Estación Sur. This is a metro pure itinerary.

The bad about this is that the change at Nuevos Ministerios is loooooong through the subway corridors.

Or you could have another hybrid sistem, taking a taxi at Nuevos Ministerios or better Colombia metro station.

I enclose a link to metro page . You can select english, and then 'map', and you can zoom it if you can't see the names well.

You wouldn't normally have problems, at least for the second if all goes well through the customs at least in the modified hybrid system, but you may want to take a taxi if the plane is late or you lose too much time at the customs, for sometimes the traffic, even at the very same M-30 is terribly jammed.

#14920 - 08/27/04 09:35 AM Re: airport to madrid
redbird Offline

Ignacio, thanks so much for the info - that's a great help! Robin smile

#14921 - 08/27/04 09:55 AM Re: airport to madrid
redbird Offline

Ignacio, was just wondering, is the problem with the long subway corridors at Nuevos Ministerios the safety issue of possibly getting robbed? That would definitely not be a good way to begin our trip, so the metro - taxi combo is sounding the best way to Estation Sur. Thanks. Robin

#14922 - 08/27/04 03:34 PM Re: airport to madrid
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
My kids and I have done the airport to bus station several times using the metro. It is simple and we have not had to walk terribly far or do stairs. I think it takes 45 minutes to an hour once you get on the train. Remember that it is a good 10 minute walk to the subway and you need to get a ticket. Buying a ticket from the machines is faster and often there is no line. Clearing customs is usually no more than walking out the door, but getting your luggage can take some time. Also, flights are often late arriving. Last summer our flight was delayed until the next day and then arrived an additional 3 hours late. Some folks on that flight were delayed 2 or 3 days because everything was booked. Make certain you have some flexibility in your schedule just in case.

#14923 - 08/27/04 06:09 PM Re: airport to madrid
redbird Offline

Sel, thanks for the input. It sounds easy to take the metro to Estacion Sur & definitely fastest. We plan to carry on our luggage, small backpacks & that should help save time, but I probably have planned the connection too tight! I have already purchased our bus tickets thru Movelia\'s web site , so hope that is not a problem if we miss the 11:30 bus. Will have to keep our fingers crossed our flight does not get delayed! rolleyes Thanks. Robin

#14924 - 08/27/04 10:44 PM Re: airport to madrid
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I have made an 11:00 bus to Toledo once before so I know it is possible. Life is much easier when you do not check luggage. Just have a plan B in case you are delayed!! Since there is a bus to Toledo every half hour, I never have to worry or buy bus tickets in advance which is nice. Good luck!!

#14925 - 08/28/04 12:02 AM Re: airport to madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can be pretty sure that there will be no violence in the subway. Only very scarce times a problem happens in any point of the network, most of those few times, fascists battering inmigrants, but it's really very very strange. you could be using metro 10 years and see none of these.

So, you can be 99,9999% sure that you will suffer no violent robbing, but you need to be well aware of pickpockets, which are among the finest in the world and are fonder on tourists. But having your luggage in front of you and cheking it after any strange happening, like somebody pushing you or something should be more than enough.

Just be aware and you can be sure that you'll have no violence or pickpocketing. Sounds a little paranoid, since almost all the people you'll find will be honest, but you have to be a bit more areful because tourists use to bring valuables and more cash on them.

Anyway, I would suggest the hybrid one because it's less time, not so much money (maybe 6 euros if few traffic), you don't have to walk ten or fifteen minutes through the subway halls with your luggage, and you´ll be safer (although it's not too dangerous)

#14926 - 08/29/04 06:38 PM Re: airport to madrid
redbird Offline

Thanks, Sel & Ignacio. It's good to have these two options in case our plane is delayed, or maybe we will use the "hybrid method" so we will see a little more of the city. That is the only thing I don't like about the Metro!

MadridMan, this is a great website & answers a lot of questions for us travelling to Spain!

#14927 - 08/30/04 03:27 PM Re: airport to madrid
funes Offline

So what is the cost of the bus from the airport to Plaza Colon? Based on what I've read on this thread, I've decided to do this and take a cab or bus onward to Hostel Adriano.

Thanks,
Funes

#14928 - 08/30/04 06:44 PM Re: airport to madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

It used to be around 2 euro. Maybe 3 now?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments