Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#14147 - 10/04/03 11:59 PM Free Drinks on International Flights
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I searched in vain for the previous post on this, so I started a new one!

Due to mine and others recent travels, I know these facts:

Iberia and Northwest/KLM still give free cocktails, wine and beer on international flights. I will soon find out about Icelandair and USAir. (Iberia posted a profit last year)

Delta, Continental and American charge
US$5/5 Euros per drink item.

On a round-trip ticket with two 8 hour trans-atlantic segments serving 2 meals each way (2 wine, 2 beers and 2 after dinner drinks), flying an airline with free drinks can save you $60!

Think about it.

#14148 - 10/05/03 09:53 AM Re: Free Drinks on International Flights
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Mongo, I was charged for my beer and wine on my USAir flight to Madrid last spring.

I wrote in my MadridMan\'s 2003 Madrid & Basque Region Trip journal the following:

[April 5, 2003]
"And guess what, USAir now charges for beer and wine so, well, I STILL had two bottles of French white wine with dinner."

But you know, I didn't care once. I just added it to "trip expenses" in order to help enjoy things all the more. It certainly can make a difference though, particularly if you're two people and both might have 2-6 drinks during those hours. "They say", however, not to drink ANY alcohol on intercontinental flights in order to reduce jetlag but few people do this - I know I don't but keep drinks to a minimum only with meals.

Next thing you know there'll be a new, budget airline out there that'll charge for meals or you can bring your own. Imagine the guy in the next seat to you with a huge, smelly pizza box on his lap for most of the flight..., "Hey buddy! You want some of this?! It's cold but still good!" Then he cracks open a shaken can of Pepsi and it overflows all over the box and your leg. Yikes! Imagine that!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#14149 - 10/05/03 12:17 PM Re: Free Drinks on International Flights
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I don't have to imagine that MM, we experienced that last time we flew. We flew on the same fight as a collegiate team. The kids had all purchased greasy McDonald's breakfast stuff with supersized beverages. Numerous beverages were knocked over and spilled on unfortunate passengers. The smell and the experience were awful. At least it was a domestic flight because 8 hours would have been unbearable. I had to change clothes in the airplane´s bathroom and sit on a towel the rest of the flight.

#14150 - 10/11/03 06:02 PM Re: Free Drinks on International Flights
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I've read about airlines dumping meal service. I have also read about gourmet restaurants selling meals to go with all the goodies, for a price, naturally. Airline food is awful (except Air France, which has GREAT food and good wine with meals), so better to bring your own. Just ask for the "No Pizza" section!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments