Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#13838 - 05/13/03 11:19 AM Madrid:on bus w/ large backpack?
sneak Offline

how difficult do you guys think it will be travelling by bus in madrid with a large hiking backpack on?
do you have any tips??

thanx!

#13839 - 05/13/03 12:25 PM Re: Madrid:on bus w/ large backpack?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It really depends on the hour or how many people are on already and what bus route. You probably won't be able to WEAR it ON the bus because you'll slam into someone with every turn with your backpack. Some of these city buses will have STANDING ROOM ONLY and you can ONLY enter from the front and ONLY exit from the back so you'll likely have to pass through some people standing in the aisles. It'll be tough or even tougher if it's a VERY large backpack.

If you're only going one-way with this large backpack (assuming you're not sightseeing while wearing it) you might consider taking a taxi. You can pretty much cross-town for about $4.

GOOD LUCK! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#13840 - 05/13/03 09:17 PM Re: Madrid:on bus w/ large backpack?
Espe3 Offline

Although its not legal- some bus drivers will tell you can't get on the bus if its too large- I've even seen it done (they did it to my mom also) with a medium sized suitcase! Bring a smaller day pack if you can!

#13841 - 05/17/03 06:56 PM Re: Madrid:on bus w/ large backpack?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
The real question is WHY do you need a large pack? Most people take way too much stuff and end up ruining their trip with burdensome luggage. Learn to pack light. You are a tourist, and generally people will cut you some slack if you aren't attired in your most spiffy coordinated outfit, changed daily! I am extreme, I know, but managed six months with three changes of clothes, (double socks, I wear two pair to cushion my feet more). For me, basic black was no problem. If you need to, throw in a blazer to dress it up. Or a sweater works well with a tie, and doubles as warm clothing under a jacket or windbreaker. Everything was hand washable in a hotel sink, dried on the radiator or on a clothes line. My main problem was I needed room for painting supplies. Now THAT was hard to cut down!

Women can do it too, but usually have to manage more stuff. I have seen many women who were experts and had everything mixing and matching, they always looked like they had a different outfit, changing accessories, etc.

You will look better if you aren't exhausted lugging stuff around, and will enjoy your trip more too. Consider purchasing some clothing over here. It makes a great, special souviner ("Yeah, that is my Basque beret, I purchased it in Pais Basco!. . ."). The world doesn't end at the US border, it BEGINS there. People manage just fine with local clothing! Besides, the gawdawful reach of US corporations means you can purchase you Dockers anywhere now (actually I like mine!).

Take less, and enjoy your trip more!

#13842 - 05/17/03 11:30 PM Re: Madrid:on bus w/ large backpack?
Espe3 Offline

Martin, now THAT is some good advice! smile
I am a renowned overpacker (I'm a girl and I can't help it!) however, depending on where/what I'm packing for- I can to very well with just an overnight bag! Like you said, if its hand washable... and some t-shirts, blouses etc. don't have to take as much space as they used to smile You just have to think out very carefully on what to bring, and what situations you may find yourself in (have to dress up at some point or not) I find it helpful to lay the clothes I want to take out on my bed, then mix and match the pieces that I can get the most use out of and best combinations with having to take as little as possible. I usually end up with a pile of clothes that end up back in my closet and a few things I actually pack! laugh Now, if only I could do the same with shoes... that's a different issue! :p

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2743 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments