Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#13796 - 05/01/03 12:33 AM Madrid walking distance
Marian5 Offline

Loc: NYC
Could anyone tell me how long it takes to walk from the Prado to the Palace? I'm trying to gauge walking time from the Prado to Plaza Mayor and on to the royal palace.

#13797 - 05/01/03 06:40 AM Re: Madrid walking distance
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
Well, this is a toughy, because there are a number of variables, for example are you a fast walker?

You take a left in front of the Palace Hotel and hike up San Geronimo, which will lead you to Puerta del Sol and onto Plaza Mayor. There is usually a lot of pedestrian traffic between the fringe of Sol and Plaza Mayor, so unless you want to knock over people, you can't walk at full speed. I am estimating a half hour to Plaza Mayor, and another 15 or 20 minutes to the Palacio Real. I would really give myself much more time than that because being free to browse, and stop where you want is part of the fun. And again I should emphasize from the Prado to Sol is UPHILL. Not like Lombard Street in San Francisco, but none-the-less uphill.

Buena suerte

Lee

#13798 - 05/01/03 12:38 PM Re: Madrid walking distance
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
Other way is from Prado to Palace by new pedestrian street (Calle de las Huertas ) -Plaza de Santa Ana-Plaza Jacinto Benavente -Plaza Mayor-Calle de Santiago and Plaza de Oriente.
You can spend 35 minutes.

#13799 - 05/01/03 01:06 PM Re: Madrid walking distance
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It could take you MUCH longer than 35 minutes if you're like me, stopping at every 10th bar for a beer and tapa. wink hehehee.. But seriously folks, you could make it even faster if you're REALLY moving and there isn't too much pedestrian traffic. This is a WONDERFUL walk, by the way.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#13800 - 05/01/03 02:37 PM Re: Madrid walking distance
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Marian5,
The speed of your walking tour also depends on your age(I'm 50) and how fit you are(fairly fit). I walked from Sol to the Prado Museum and it took me 25 minutes. I made a quick stop for an horchata. I also walked from the Sol on Arenal to the Palace and that took me 20 minutes. It was in December and there was a lot of pedestrian traffic.

#13801 - 05/01/03 08:41 PM Re: Madrid walking distance
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
ABP is right about taking Huertas, but you would miss Puerta del Sol, and who would want to do that.

A little off the subject, but I lived on Huertas last year and left just as they began the obras peotonal. How far up toward Plaza Santa Ana is Huertas peotonal. In other words, what is the cross street?

Thanks...

Lee

#13802 - 05/02/03 04:00 PM Re: Madrid walking distance
Marian5 Offline

Thanks for the walking tips. We'll be staying on Plaza d. Angel (Hostal Persal) so Calle de las Huertas would be really convenient - would you say a 20 minute walk (will be traveling with my in-laws who are in early 50s) to the Prado from Plaza de Angel?

However according to my guidebook map, from Plaza Mayor, I don't see a Calle de Santiago to Plaza de Oriente. Will it be easy to find? Or would you recommend the walk from Puerta del Sol to Palacio Real via Calle de Arenal? Want to walk along fun streets with shops/tapas. Lots of people don't bother me - I'm from NYC!

#13803 - 05/02/03 04:05 PM Re: Madrid walking distance
Marian5 Offline

By the way, if our feet fail us, what's a better way to get around (concentrating in the area between Palacio Real and Prado), metro, taxi, bus, Bus Turistico?

#13804 - 05/02/03 04:40 PM Re: Madrid walking distance
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
Calle de Santiago is from Calle Mayor /Plaza de San Miguel (it is in "Madrid de los Austrias").
I´d suggest you after the visit to the Palace return your hotel by :Plaza de España-Gran Via-Calle Preciados -Puerta del Sol-Plaza de Canalejas-Calle del Principe-Plaza de Santa Ana -Plaza del Angel (you can see handred of shops,bars,cafes,peoples ).
With this tour you will pass three different Madrid :Madrid de los Borbones(Prado area),Madrid de los Austria (Plaza Mayor,Santiago street) and
XIX century distric (Plaza de España, Gran Via,Sol)..
ABP

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments