Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#13392 - 01/31/03 01:50 PM Day trips from Madrid
jeaninecox Offline

Loc: Miami, FL USA
I will be travelling to Madrid in March 2003. I need to know if it is necessary to book daytrips to Toledo, El Escorial & Segovia in advance or can I wait and buy them at my hotel (Husa Princesa). I don't want to risk missing out if the tours are fully booked, do you think that I should purchase them in advance? I was looking at buying them on Viator web site

#13393 - 01/31/03 02:37 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi jeaninecox! Welcome to our message board!

Guided tours, I think most will tell you, aren't necessary to these day-trip cities near Madrid. As long as you have a decent guide book and can find your bus to go to these places you really only need your two feet and open eyes to enjoy them.

Tours are nice if you want to follow a set-schedule or don't mind paying the price/cost but you'll likely experience and SEE so much more if you're on your own than on a guided tour. Plus, I would think (for me), it would be much more of memorable adventure if you're on your own rather than on a bus with other tourists.

If you're set on taking the tours, I would certainly think they'd have so many tours available that it's not likely you'll be shut out.

Anyone else have an opinion on the necessity of guided tours to these places?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#13394 - 01/31/03 08:31 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
I agree with Madrid Man. You don't "need no stinking tour"..to quote Alfonso Bedoya.

But I would recommend the train to Toledo and El Escorial, probably Segovia too, although I went there by car. The trip by train to Toledo and El Escorial..of course different trips in different directions is about an hour.

Buena suerte y buen viaje

Lee

#13395 - 01/31/03 08:49 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Skip the tours and buy Rick Steve's Spain and Portugal 2003 tour book. The tours rush in and rush out, leaving those who remain behind the opportunity to really appreciate the spectacular museums and monuments.

We were successful with all of our day trips even though we had never been to Spain and we spoke very minimal Spanish. I was traveling without my husband and with two kids!! We used the train and the bus and we loved our free time in each place. You can always eavesdrop on a tour if you want, yet you won't be rushed. We are still laughing about our most embarrassing moments!!! I can't imagine doing it any other way!!!

#13396 - 02/02/03 11:18 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I've been to Segovia more than few times and I can honestly say I'd skip the tour as well. It's so easy to get around. The last time I took th train there. It was scenic and comfortable, but the station in Segovia is at least a 20 minute walk (or 5 minute cab ride) from the city center. For this reason, I'd take the bus. I ended up taking the bus back and found it to be faster and a bit more convenient. But either way is cheap and efficient.

As for Toledo, I did the same thing, train there, bus back. The bus made a few more stops, but was faster.

The one thing I noticed about the tour was the prices of them usually were way more than your own transportation and lunch would cost you.
But, in the end it's up to you.
Good luck and have fun.

#13397 - 02/05/03 05:09 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
mrkarbow Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX USA
I agree... part of the fun is going there on your own... went to Segovia about three years ago from Madrid. Went to the Atocha rail station and rode the train to Segovia. It takes awhile... if I remember correctly it was about an hour and a half. From the train station we took a cab to the city center. From there had lunch at their Plaza Mayor, went to the Cathedral there, saw the aqueduct and went to the Alcazar. Trust me... it was really easy.

#13398 - 02/06/03 12:13 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Can only concur with everyone else, discover the places with your own eyes and the memories will be so much sweeter. Went to Toledo for the day on our most recent trip to Madders, part of the fun is finding your own way and just taking the time to soak up as much or as little as you want. Took the train from Atocha and got the bus back to Estacion Del Sur and spent the day just wandering aimlessly round, marvellous.

#13399 - 02/06/03 01:21 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
viequense Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Mick Nick, was a day trip to Toledo long enough or would you have liked to have stayed the night?

#13400 - 02/06/03 07:08 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
plumepoppy Offline

Loc: canada
I'll take the middle road on this issue. Mostly, I like walking around on my own with a map and guidebook. But there have been times when I prefered having an overview which I got with a tour, especially when I wanted to see a lot of things in a short period of time. Afterwards, I proceeded on my own to my favourite spots. It really depends on your frame of mind at the time you're traveling!

#13401 - 02/07/03 06:05 AM Re: Day trips from Madrid
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Difficult one really. As we were only in Spain for 3 days on a weekend break it was only ever going to be a day trip. For us just strolling around soaking up a place is more important than finding out how many arches a Cathederal has, so as its quite compact, we felt we had "seen" it all in the one day. That said, everyone says its a better place at night when the tourists have gone ( but youre still a tourist even if you stay overnight!!)and it does look like it would be very atmospheric in the dark. Overall, if youve got the time, I'd stay overnight for that experience rather than any extra sight seeing time. Hope that helps.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments