Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#12533 - 04/10/02 08:58 AM renting a car - what do I need?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm thinking about my options in getting from Bilbao to Madrid if the train strikes affect me on April 30th. If I have to rent a car, what will I need in addition to my U.S. driver's license? (This is of course if I can't buy a bus ticket)

#12534 - 04/10/02 12:21 PM Re: renting a car - what do I need?
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
I have always used just my US drivers license to rent a car in Madrid, plus, of course, a credit card to pay for the rental. However, I have been informed by, and read posts from, other people that an International Drivers License will be required from you if you are ever stopped by the authorities. The car rental companies, on the other hand, don't care and will rent you the car without the IDL. I'm not completely sure if you really need the IDL. I haven't, but then again I have NOT been stopped either. The rationale for needing the IDL, I hear, is that it contains a tranlation of you US license in numerous languages and this may help the authorities in whatever country you're at, to understand the limitations of your US drivers license.

#12535 - 04/11/02 03:59 PM Re: renting a car - what do I need?
Marcia99@aol.com Offline

Loc: USA
I rented a car during my recent trip to Spain. I did obtain an International Drivers License at the AAA office ( you don't have to be a member). I was told that if you were stopped for something they can take your "real" license away, so the IDL is what you present if needed and if they take that - it's no big loss. I wasn't stopped either. I rented thru AutoEurope in the states and their rates were great, car was fine. Please don't be scared off by some of the posts about driving in Spain. The highways we travelled were in good condition, drivers keep to the right, except to pass. I wish they did that here!! As far as driving fast and aggressively, neither my daughter or I had much problems. It was a little tense in some of the cities, since we really didn't know where we were going, but I would definetly rent a car again. Of course I'm from Boston were the drivers are notorious!!

#12536 - 04/11/02 06:21 PM Re: renting a car - what do I need?
DCS Offline

Loc: Madrid
I have rented cars in Madrid a couple of times. I simply used hertz.com and resevered the car online with my credit card and then went to pick it up the next day. I just took a copy of my reservation and my passport and that was it. I have also been stopped by the Guardia Civil in Andalucia and was never asked to see my drivers license or my residency ID. My passport seemed to be enough for them.

#12537 - 04/11/02 06:22 PM Re: renting a car - what do I need?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I've driven on three of my trips to Spain, and have never needed the famed "IDL". With your US driver's license, you'll be fine, and if you can explain to a potential "'I'm taking your driver's license' Cop" that the DL is your ID, I'm sure he'll think the better of it.

Depending on your Spanish skills, you'll have no trouble explaining what happened and how you can fix it (this, assuming that you're stopped...which isn't a likelihood).

I'll be driving again in May and let you know how it goes. As far as renting a car goes, I've used Avis and Alamo, all arranged in the US, and have never needed anything other than the US DL and credit card to complete the rental. When I had a claim against Avis in '99 (two flat tires), they still didn't need any IDL or any other paperwork. Sometimes they don't even check your passport.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments