Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12127 - 01/18/02 01:29 PM TravelSelect.com : Another great source!
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
www.travelselect.com

As if we we needed another website to search our next travel purchase ... smile

From my experience, this British-based site is no better than the U.S. travel sites. However, for two strong reasons their services may be of value to you all!!!

*** Allows one to purchase flights that do not originate in United States. Because of new security measures, or just impossible logistics, most ALL U.S. based websites will not allow you to buy a ticket that doesn't originate in the US...what a drag. My roomate had FF miles to get her to London this Christmas, and no website would sell her a London - Madrid ticket. This website would! PS: You can also buy oneway tickets - my friend and I flew from Malaga to Bilbao last summer <in August!> for only 52$.

*** This next attibute may seem frivolous, but think about it for a moment. This is one of the only websites that will allow you to bypass the costly process of FedEx'ing (fast shipment) your tickets. In my friend's experience, they offer a "pick-up" option. She landed in London, and that night she was at the gate with her registration in the computer - no costly ticket shipment needed! Yes, all airlines now offer E-ticketing (paperless ticket), but many - I dare say most - websites will still force you to pay costly shipping charges of the ticket. Another great feature of this site.

This site doesn't always offer the lowest fairs - Orbitz, Hotwire, and few others are usually the most competitive - but it allows flexibility to us travelers that may come in handy the next time you're trying to get around by air INside Europe!

Happy purchasing...

#12128 - 01/19/02 03:50 PM Re: TravelSelect.com : Another great source!
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
JJP,

I looked over the site you mentioned and it seems alright.

However, most every other travel site allows you to purchase fares that do not originate in your country. The two major companies, Travelocity and Expedia allow you to do this. Also, all of these sites allow you to buy one way tickets too.

I have been able to find lower prices on Expedia and Travelocity. I also use some special software to search for ticket prices.
There is a service called BestFares.com that totally blows away fares on all other sites. However, you have to become a member first and I'm not sure if the prices include taxes and if they allow you to pick your dates. I'm currently looking into it.

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: zero262quick ]
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

#12129 - 01/20/02 03:56 AM Re: TravelSelect.com : Another great source!
JJP Offline

Ben,

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like you're the true ticket broker! smile Want to clue us in on the software, or is it proprietary??? I wish I was in your shoes!!!

I've always been reluctant to pay a membership fee when I've found such good deals for free (Delta SFO-MAD, from Orbitz, this last Dec 20-28 for $425). I should probably let down my gaurd (!!!) as it looks like you're quoting some amazing deals from BestFare.com.

You're right - absolutely - there are some websites that will allow purchase of flights not originating in the U.S, and "one-ways". However, a few of the main sites do not sell flights originating outside The States. As of last December, Orbitz, Hotwire, and Cheaptickets would not negotiate these flights domiciled outsided USA.

And just a heads-up: What my friend - aforementioned in the thread-starter - found was that in two cases (one of them I believe Expedia or Travelocity) took her order for the London - Madrid flight *only* to later email her that the ticket was not available to her in the U.S. My only thought is - if this site usually offers these tickets - that for that particular flight and ticket code was not able to offer deal to US based purchase. Just a thought...

Ben, thanks for the feedback. Please, please, if the software you're talking about isn't proprietary <or stollen smile smile smile smile > please give us the scoop! Until then, I think I'll take your advice and "join" BestFares.

Jason

#12130 - 01/20/02 10:54 AM Re: TravelSelect.com : Another great source!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I have made Internet purchases of 'tickets' for RyanAir (twice) & EasyJet (London Luton-Madrid) with no problem. You just don't get a 'ticket,' per se; you get a confirmation number: which you print out and present at check-in. rolleyes
My most recent RyanAir flight Dublin-London (Luton) was 5 IEP plus taxes & fees (total about 19 IEP: $21 USD) - the EasyJet flight London (Luton) - Madrid was 75 GBP (taxes & fees included - about $95 USD). Now there's a new 'kid on the block:' British Midland is inaugurating BMIBaby offering 'lowball' fares from Midlands airport to destinations in Spain starting at 25 GBP one-way. eek I don't know if any of those carriers pays commisssions to Travel Agencies. Over the Internet may be the onlyt way to go. laugh

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#12131 - 01/20/02 11:52 AM Re: TravelSelect.com : Another great source!
nevado Offline

Another good site for flights originating outside the is www.economytravel.com I've used them on several occasions and they have prompt, reliable service (no hidden fees and they don't charge you for using a credit card).

#12132 - 01/20/02 06:40 PM Re: TravelSelect.com : Another great source!
zero262quick Offline

Note: I have corrected this post once I found more concise information on this topic.

JJP,

Okay, okay, I will divulge my airfare software (I can't take the pressure anymore :D). It is called (drum roll....) SideStep and it is an application (?) that opens a split screen in your internet browser. It also includes an icon on your Standard Buttons bar of the web browser.
It is available for download here .

It searches all of the major airfare sites to find the lowest price. I have checked it by searching a bunch of the sites to see if it really does find the lowest price and found that it does. I've even cross checked the flighs and found the same flight offered using the software and on the particular site. So it does work. Be careful to make sure that the advertised price includes
taxes by selecting the purchase option. Once you do that, your order is totaled and the breakdown of the price is given. After you install the software, whenever you are doing a flight search on the web, it will open along side of it in the browser and do the same search (very helpful).

Now, the reason the BestFares.com website has lower prices than the sofware
is because you must join BestFares before you can buy tickets, therefore the
software cannot search the site (you must log in in BestFares to see the
flight details).

I really think BestFares is great assuming you are allowed to pick the dates
you want and the prices include taxes (taxes generally add between $80 and
$100 to the price of the flight). The cost to join BestFares is $60. If tickets can be purchased for what they say, then it will be worth the cost a hundred times over.
For example, the lowest fare I could find from Washington to Madrid in June was $774. BestFares offers fares to 30 cities in Europe, traveling from April to August, out of Washington to Madrid for $479. That is just an example. They have fares from pretty much every major airport to 30 cities in Europe for $379 in the spring and $479 in the summer. If anyone needs a quote from a specific airport, let me know and I'll look it up.

If you do decide to join this service, please come back and post to tell us how it works and if it is worth it.

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: zero262quick ]

- Scottish Proverb

#12133 - 01/21/02 01:26 AM Re: TravelSelect.com : Another great source!
JJP Offline

¡¡¡Wow!!! smile

I simply post some info I have for all's consumption and get all this! Let's say we call it "MadridMan's Boomerang Effect" - heh, heh, heh... wink

...and I had thought I was pretty good at snagging great ticket prices. Keep the suggestions coming!

#12134 - 01/21/02 03:46 AM Re: TravelSelect.com : Another great source!
nevado Offline

#12135 - 01/21/02 11:24 AM Re: TravelSelect.com : Another great source!
travler Offline

zero262quick,
I will take you up on that offer to look for a price out of either Chicago or Kansas City to Madrid flying out june 29 coming back july 14. We are group of students so if we can save that much money by joining for $60 we are game. The lowest I have found so far is $843 with tax. Thanks in advance if you can find anything!

#12136 - 01/21/02 01:14 PM Re: TravelSelect.com : Another great source!
zero262quick Offline

JJP,
The only reason I can find good prices is because I have done thousands (maybe more) of searches for plane fares and I have certain rules for dates, etc. for finding the lowest fares. It takes some work and experience, but anyone can do it.

nevado,
Please see my post earlier in this thread about some software I have (I have edited it to include more concise information). This software searches all of those sites you mentioned, all at once. No more searching for the same ticket on a bunch of sites. This software is also helpful because when you are doing a web search, it will open in the browser along side of the website and do the same search (very helpful).

I think you will find it very helpful.

travler,
First of all, I searched using a group of 4 people. I don't know how many
you have going.

Below are the fares for the dates you requested. All fares include taxes.

ORD to MAD (June 29-July 14) $979.95
MCI to Mad (June 29-July 14) $1062.20

Now, as many people know, if you fly in/out on a Tuesday or Thursday, the
rates go down. Taking that into consideration, I have found some fares
using alternate dates:

ORD to MAD (June 27-July 11) $927.42
ORD to MAD (June 25-July 9) $927.42

Secondly, I used BestFares.com to see what I could find.

Travel June 1 through August 31
Chicago to Madrid. $579
Out of Kansas City is $599
Apparently, these prices include taxes. Ask MadridMan, he has used the service.

Travel dates available now out of Chicago:
April 1-5, 7-12 & 14-30
May 1-3, 5-17, 19-21, 23-24, 26-28 & 30-31
June 2-3, 5-7, 17, 24-26, 28 & 30
July 1-2, 4, 7-8, 11-12, 14-17, 21-24, 26 & 29
August 5-7, 9, 12-13, 16, 18-20, 23 & 26-28

The price goes down by $100 if you leave between March 20 and May 31. Since you are students, that may not be feasable.

Hope that helps.

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

- Scottish Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments