Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11502 - 07/19/01 03:43 PM Availablity of Diesel
ultichris Offline

Loc: Canada
We will be travelling in Spain and Portugal for the next five weeks and are thinking of renting a small passenger car for 1-2 weeks.

We would like to hear from anyone who knows what the availablity of diesel is in relation to regular gas.

Also, our primary reason for renting a car, is the flexibility to get off the beaten track. Our trip is planned to start and end in Barcelona and we will be roughly headed in a counterclockwise direction. Any thoughts on whether it would be best to rent in Barcelona for the first two weeks through the north and into Portugal or for the latter portion of the trip in the South.

THanks for any advice from those in the know.

Chris

#11503 - 07/19/01 10:13 PM Re: Availablity of Diesel
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I can speak only for Spain (though I think there are some portuguese who frequent this board). The availability of diesel is 100%. You will find it in every gas station by the name "Gasoil" or "Diesel", it costs 100 ptas each litre more or less.

I don't know how much it cost to rent a car in Portugal in comparisson with Spain, but I guess it is aproximately the same. I think it would be a better choice to rent the car in Barcelona and return it there too. No complications and maybe a better price for renting it more days, don't you think?

Fernando

#11504 - 07/23/01 11:20 AM Re: Availablity of Diesel
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
I agree with Fernando, diesel is available in all gas stations, Portugal has the same situation.

Car market is different here, last year, 55% of all new cars sold were diesel. You'll be spending less money in fuel with a diesel that's all.

#11505 - 07/23/01 07:36 PM Re: Availablity of Diesel
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I just rented a standard, diesel Renault for 12 days and it was a great car, excellent milage and no problem w/diesel. I rented from Avis via #800 for what amounted to $28/day which was a little higher as I had initially rented it for 1 week and decided to keep it for 5 more days(which was no problem, contract had "additional day" rate already stated)so I was paying a rate based on the 1 wk rental.No charge to drop off in city other than pick-up site.

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: karenwishart ]

#11506 - 07/23/01 08:58 PM Re: Availablity of Diesel
SilvyinLA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California USA
Didn't drive through Portugal, but Spain was easy with diesel. In fact you will fill up so little it boggles the mind! I love diesel!
Too bad not many choices of cars in the US with that type of engine.

Silvy

#11507 - 08/01/01 12:05 PM Re: Availablity of Diesel
Guida Offline

Loc: Portugal
Hi,

Diesel is available everywhere here in Portugal, although it is more expensive than in Spain.

Guida

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments