Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#11182 - 05/13/01 02:03 PM Anyone had the Madrid Vision experience?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
As we will be in Madrid in August when the temperature will be stupidly hot, we wondered whether buying Madrid Vision tour bus tickets would be a good idea.

The theory behind this is to see as much of wonderful Madrid as possible in one day without making our 3 kids hate it by subjecting them to lots of walking in the baking heat.

We aim to also visit at least the Prado and Plaza Major during the day, and thought that by doing it this way, we could also fit in some other places too.

Is it a case of discovering where to buy the tickets and then just getting on any of the buses that happen to pass on the route, and then just get on and off as and when you want?

Does anyone know the cost of these tickets? Can they be bought on the bus? Are there reductions for children? What hours do they run between?

The Madrid Vision website gives a map of the route, but doesn't give the answers to the above questions.

I guess what we are after is a way of spending the day without making the family dehydrated and cranky. Any other time of year and we would get more out of walking and seeing things that way, but I just think the heat is going to be too big an issue.

Anyone got any thoughts? smile

Jo-Anne

#11183 - 05/14/01 12:04 AM Re: Anyone had the Madrid Vision experience?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Somehow, I think ANTONIO would have this information! <hint! hint!> wink I think they used to have a pseudo-website. In fact Jo-Anne, I think something has been posted on the message board about Madrid Vision bus tours before, but not positive. You might want to try a search.
Good luck! August-in-Madrid=YUCK! :p

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11184 - 05/14/01 05:00 PM Re: Anyone had the Madrid Vision experience?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Thanks MM

The search didn't really come up with enough detailed info.

I know, I know, Madrid in August eek- but we are only there for one evening and one full day, and need to make the best of it, stifling heat and all, before we make our merry way to refreshing Cantabria.

Any other ideas for cooling down, other than in the Galleries and Tour Bus would be greatly accepted.

PS - still would like anyone (Antonio? :D) to let me in on the cost of the tour bus and how easy they are to hop on and off (presuming we were to do this several times in one day). Also what the 'discount voucers' are good for.

Thanks everbody.

Jo

#11185 - 05/14/01 08:48 PM Re: Anyone had the Madrid Vision experience?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Antonio, doesn't Madrid Vision have a pseudo website? I seem to recall one on the Trapstur site??

Also, does Madrid Vision use the enclosed double-decker busses or the one-level bus? Also, do Madrid Vision bus tours run all year?? Finally, can/should we assume these city tours are given in English??

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11186 - 05/15/01 02:47 AM Re: Anyone had the Madrid Vision experience?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Antonio

That's just the info I needed. smile I hope the buses are double deckers and enclosed so that they can be air-conditioned, on an ordinary day it would be great for it to be open-topped, but not in August.

Do you just buy the ticket on the bus? Or book it beforehand?

MM - here is the web site, it doesn't give much info really Madrid Vision

Thanks.

Jo

[ 05-15-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#11187 - 05/15/01 11:48 AM Re: Anyone had the Madrid Vision experience?
local Offline

We made use of the Madrid Vision (or similar company) when we visited Madrid in March. They are double decker buses with open tops. They provided commentary in English and Spanish. We enjoyed it because of the hop-on hop-off ability.

#11188 - 05/15/01 05:51 PM Re: Anyone had the Madrid Vision experience?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
All buses are double-decker and they run all year.

The official website is at the Trapsa site (Madrid Vision buses belong to that company). You'll find the link below on Jo-Ane's post.

Tours are commented through a recorded tape and it's available in different languages. There are other bus companies with live comments but, since they have to comment in both Spanish and English they don't explain as much things as in the Madrid Vision.

All buses are open-topped. Madrid Vision have also the other kind of buses (with air-conditioned) but I think they only use them in winter when it's raining.

You can buy the tickets on the bus and also at selected hostales rolleyes at no extra cost (ie, we don't charge any commission for selling the tickets).

I'm not sure about drinks being sold on board or about toilets but I think neither of both things are available.

There should be one Madrid Vision bus every 10 minutes but you have to bear in mind that frecuencies are subject to traffic jams in Madrid.

Regards,

Antonio

[ 05-15-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#11189 - 05/15/01 06:11 PM Re: Anyone had the Madrid Vision experience?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

I think we may go for it, it seems a good way of not cramming to much exertion into the day when it will be so hot.

Antonio, can you tell me, do we buy the tickets on the bus, or do we get them beforehand from somewhere else?

If we're continually getting on and off a bus, will we ever have long to wait for one?

I don't suppose they sell drinks (i.e. water/ soft drinks etc) on board do they? Or do they even have a toilet on board? If so, then our day's worries could be sorted completely!! laugh laugh

Thanks

Jo-Anne

#11190 - 05/16/01 02:15 AM Re: Anyone had the Madrid Vision experience?
local Offline

You can buy tickets on the bus but also at the newspaper stands around the city. There is normally a sign to indicate whether they sell the tickets.

The bus that we used did not have a recorded commentary but a person that gave the commentary. It was interesting to note the variation in commentary between the different people.

They did not sell drinks, etc on our bus and there were no "bathrooms".

There were about an half an hour difference between buses.

#11191 - 05/16/01 02:52 AM Re: Anyone had the Madrid Vision experience?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Antonio and local

I'm sorry if I repeated my questions rolleyes but I posted my reply before Antonio fully updated his. Sorry for being boring!

I hope our hostal is as helpful and well-stocked with such useful things as Hostal Chelo!

Bye bye

Jo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments