Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11176 - 05/11/01 05:18 PM Help!! Portugal visa
burgher Offline

I hear rumours that Portugal is in the process of changing Australians' need for a tourist visa to visit Portugal. Anyone know when this change will take effect??

Also, if you're travelling into and out of Portugal from Spain, could you risk not getting a visa, given that there are not any border controls due to the Schengen agreement? Or do train/bus inspectors check for visas??

Thanks,
burgher2001@yahoo.com

#11177 - 05/12/01 06:23 AM Re: Help!! Portugal visa
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I have travelled Spain to/from Portugal on public transport several times over the past few years and have never been asked for my passport or any other documentation.

I doubt that Portugal will take a unilateral stance re-Australians without concurrence with the other Schengen agreement countries. If Portugal is your point of entry to the EU, they may require that you have a return ticket (out of EU) on your arrival (as Ireland sometimes does). They can do that within the current guidelines. rolleyes

#11178 - 05/12/01 10:11 PM Re: Help!! Portugal visa
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
We were asked to show passports on the train between Salamanca and Lisboa last year. He really just glanced at ours since we were Americans with a visa for Spain, but there was a Nigerian man in our compartment, who carried a Greek passport (who knows! confused ) and they questioned him for several minutes before we could continue.

#11179 - 05/14/01 02:30 PM Re: Help!! Portugal visa
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
I went to Lisbon by car last weekend and on the road they've removed the border bunkers, there is only a sign to tell you. Road frontier in Elvas is now fully schengen-compliant"

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments