Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11166 - 05/10/01 10:42 PM overnight train from cordoba to madrid
cferlito Offline

Loc: Albany, NY
has anyone ever taken the 2:22am overnight train from cordoba to madrid. what exactly is a couchette? will we have our own room or have to share, will sleeping be difficult?

#11167 - 05/11/01 05:33 AM Re: overnight train from cordoba to madrid
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
A couchette is a bunk which folds down from the wall. There are three on one side of the carriage and three on the other. I've travelled to Valencia from Malaga this way with a group of friends and it's OK, but it just needs one to start snoring.........! You can get double "rooms", but at a price naturally. Do you have to go at this time, as the journey is only a couple of hours. Why don't you take the early morning or last one in the evening instead?

#11168 - 05/11/01 10:34 AM Re: overnight train from cordoba to madrid
cferlito Offline

Loc: Albany, NY
Thanks Anchovy Front. I will probably just take the early morning train then. At first I was thinking I could save money by not getting a hotel for that night and that particular leg was about 3000 pesetas cheaper. But it doesn't sound like it would be worth it.

#11169 - 05/11/01 10:38 AM Re: overnight train from cordoba to madrid
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
cferlito,

Then... in the morning... when you arrive at your new location... they hose everyone down with a fire hose. rolleyes

A couple days without a shower in the hot Spanish sun can cause some people to smell like a sewage plant. eek

Present company excluded of course laugh

Wolf

#11170 - 05/12/01 07:17 AM Re: overnight train from cordoba to madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Well, I don't know much about trains but if you don't want to share your "room" with other people you have to pay more.

Renfe website is not very clear about this matter. Perhaps Eddie or another experienced traveller could tell us more about it.

#11171 - 05/12/01 10:12 AM Re: overnight train from cordoba to madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Sorry, Antonio: I have no experience on this subject. Even less since Renfe changed their Estrellas for 'Hotel Tren.' For the Estrella de Galicia, that was July, '99 - just before Santiago. I read a report in Voz de Galicia describing the Hotel Trains back then; they sound a lot nicer than the Estrellas; but I think there are still 4-beds in Preferente compartments and if you don't have a party of four or buy out the compartment, you are likely to find yourself sleeping with strangers. rolleyes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments