Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10817 - 03/13/01 01:15 PM Madrid Airport: Need Good Meeting Spot to Meet Friend
artsage Offline

Hi,
Hoping to get a good meeting spot to meet up with a friend in the Madrid airport. Any suggestions? Actually, if there is only ONE common exit out of the internation/customs area then that would be fine too. I could just meet her right outside of the customs gate. I just know for example like London Heathrow, there are lots of different int'l exits. If this is the case for Madrid, could someone recommend a good spot to meet? i'm coming in on a Delta flight and she is coming in on IBeria both from JFK.
Thanks!

#10818 - 03/13/01 04:41 PM Re: Madrid Airport: Need Good Meeting Spot to Meet Friend
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
there is only one exit at barajas... but everyone is just standing there at the cordoned line waiting for their arriving friends... you might have to stand quite some time. There's also a MEETING POINT punto de encuentro that is designated in the international and national areas. If you agreed to meet at the international meeting point, perhaps that would be good. Another possibility is by the Delta check IN counters. That area would be pretty small (as opposed to Iberia's neverending booths)....

#10819 - 03/13/01 05:08 PM Re: Madrid Airport: Need Good Meeting Spot to Meet Friend
artsage Offline

Thanks for the information!

Is the Delta check-in counter far from barajas exit? and where is the Punto de Encuentro from the exit... is it pretty easy to spot when i exit?

#10820 - 03/13/01 06:34 PM Re: Madrid Airport: Need Good Meeting Spot to Meet Friend
rgf Offline
Executive Member

actually, to get to the Delta counter you'd have to go from international arrivals to international departures. Maybe that's not the best idea. The punto de encuentro is some weird sign with 4 arrows that converge. It isn't that easy to find but there are these signs around. I'm starting to think my ideas aren't the best. Eddie, where are ya!? When you go thru the sliding doors after passing customs at international arrivals, maybe you could just stay right there and agree with your friend NOT to leave that immediate area. Both of you have to come out of those sliding doors, and once out you cannot go back in.... so.... if you hang near there, you should not miss each other. You should have a backup plan in case you do miss each other (meet at the hostal, etc).

#10821 - 03/13/01 10:04 PM Re: Madrid Airport: Need Good Meeting Spot to Meet Friend
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
It can get very crowded by the exit doors from customs. If you keep going to the right as you exit there is a cafeteria almost at the very end of the terminal. This is a good place to meet.

If you are taking Aerocity transportation their pickup point is also at this end of the terminal.

#10822 - 03/14/01 05:28 AM Re: Madrid Airport: Need Good Meeting Spot to Meet Friend
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
It's a 'mob scene' as you come out from the baggage carousels and Customs because many TransAtlantic flights arrive within the same 2-hour interval. You might consider meeting at the Renfe Office - turn right coming out of the arrivals area: about 50m, just past the escalators and it's on your right. You might have a little more 'breathing room' in that area and (who knows?) maybe you will be travelling Renfe

P.D. for rgf
Estimada Profesora:
Te agradezco la confianza que tengas en mi. Hay una sola oficina de la Renfe en el aeropuerto! Lo malo es: la mujer que lleva años trabajando alli no da los descuentos (de ida y vuelta, por ejemplo) si uno no se los pide.
There's only one Renfe Office in Madrid's aeropuerto de Barajas; but you can buy your tickets/reservations for AVE or any other Renfe trains (I'm not sure about Regionales) departing Puerta de Atocha, Chamartin. or Estación del Norte (Principe Pio).

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 03-14-2001).]

#10823 - 03/14/01 08:29 AM Re: Madrid Airport: Need Good Meeting Spot to Meet Friend
rgf Offline
Executive Member

See, I knew Eddie would have an idea! DO NOT plan to meet at a cafeteria because there are several of them. If there is only one RENFE office, then that's ideal.

#10824 - 03/14/01 10:25 AM Re: Madrid Airport: Need Good Meeting Spot to Meet Friend
aerocity Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi!
As it has been said, all long distance flights arrives by gate nº 1, terminal 1. I would suggest that once you clear customs and claim your baggage, get out of the restricted baggage claim area crossing gate 1's door and look in the multiple TV monitors what happened to the other flight. If it delayed, you can go wherever you like most at our small international terminal. Check the real landing time of the flight you are waiting for, and when it really lands, go to gate 1 and wait for your friend.
That would allow you to do something while waiting, which could be quite long.
Have fun!

------------------
Juan
Airport shuttle, limo and coach services in Spain.
http://www.aerocity.com

#10825 - 03/14/01 11:03 AM Re: Madrid Airport: Need Good Meeting Spot to Meet Friend
artsage Offline

thanks everyone! you've all been so helpful. it sounds like the RENFE counter is the best solution. and of course I will check my friends flight to confirm its arrival. she arrives 20 minutes after me. so hopefully, this will all go smoothly! we're very excited about our first trip to madrid!

#10826 - 03/14/01 03:38 PM Re: Madrid Airport: Need Good Meeting Spot to Meet Friend
Guapetona Offline

Close to the RENFE counter there is a cafeteria called ORBIT. You could sit on one of the high stools and see the counter from there. You could grab a snack while you wait. You would probably be more comfortable than if you stood right in front of the counter. Just a suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments