MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#10757 - 03/15/01 11:47 PM Re: Madrid to Paris
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Forget the train. Log on to www.europebyair.com. You can buy passes for $99 each to fly from Madrid to Paris ($89 if you use an american express card). You can use your passes on Spanair from Madrid to Paris. You can use the passes (more like coupons) for many different smaller airlines all over Europe. Last year we flew from Barcelona to Venice(on Alpi Eagles)--it was much cheaper, and of course, faster than the train. This year we'll be using passes to fly Brussels-Milan (virgin express), Nice-Paris (air liberte), Paris-Madrid, and Porto-Brussels (Portugalia). Try it, it might work for you. Trains are fun, but if they cost more than flying and take longer, what's the point?

By the way, MadridMan, thanks for this great site. From the recommendations on this board, we've made reservations at Hostal Tijcal for July.
happy travels,
aidance

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-17-2001).]

#10758 - 03/17/01 12:33 AM Re: Madrid to Paris
tommyguy10 Offline

Loc: Simpsonville, SC, USA
Aidance, thanks for the information about europebyair.com. The $99 seems so cheap. Is there a catch? What airline is used? All other airlines want over $300 for a one way ticket from Paris to Madrid.

Thanks

#10759 - 03/17/01 12:00 PM Re: Madrid to Paris
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
No catch, really, to use the flight passes, except that you have to buy at least 3 passes. You have to buy them in advance, in the States before you leave. The passes are good for a year, I believe. It works out great for us, because we have been traveling as a family of 4, so we always need four passes per leg.
Many of the smaller, independent airlines accept Europe by air passes as payment. You only have to pay the airport taxes extra--a few dollars per person. Europe by air will make the reservations for you on all the legs you need. The nice thing is, if you change your mind on dates or routes, you can easily take a different flight--you still have your coupon. The website shows all the various routes, though the route map isn't up to date. Call the 800 number on the site, and they'll give you all the latest information, sell you the passes, and make your reservations. (they even called me to tell me of a time change on a flight I had reserved)
The Paris-Madrid flights are on Spanair. You check in, give them your flight pass, pay the airport tax, and go. Elsewhere on this BB, I'm reading bad reports about Spanair, so I hope all is well for that leg. Last year, Alpi Eagles (Barcelona-Venice) was the best flight we took. Comfortable leather seats, wine and good Italian food served in coach. The plane was half empy in July.
Happy travels!

#10760 - 03/21/01 08:46 AM Re: Madrid to Paris
colleen k Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA USA
Another option for an inexpensive flight between Paris and Madrid is offered through Europebyair.com for an AirEuropa flight that leaves late in the evening for $150 one way. It is difficult to book on the web but you can call 1-888-387-2479 for very helpful agents who will process the booking.

#10761 - 03/28/01 11:47 AM Re: Madrid to Paris
lisi Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA
With the europebyair passes you don't need to buy 3 passes. They are each $99 and you need only buy one - at least thats what I did and they certainly never said otherwise.

#10762 - 03/28/01 04:29 PM Re: Madrid to Paris
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Pues Antonio, tienes razón, no estoy seguro sobre la 'conversión' de las vías al tamaño Europeano. Creo que han 'abandonado' este proyecto o algo como así...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments