Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10747 - 03/09/01 04:14 PM Madrid to Paris
figmentslf Offline

Loc: New Tripoli, PA USA
Help! We are having major problems with this leg of our trip. I knew there was an overnight train from Madrid to Paris but when I went to make reservations today I found it does not have couchettes only sleepers. They want $159 per adult (there are 3) and $120 for one child. This seems totally outrageous. I could stay in a very fancy hotel for $600. They do not even have reclining seats on this train, so our options seem to be pay out the $600 or spend the night sitting up and arrive stiff and exhausted. The train leaves at 7:00 in the evening and arrives at 8:30 the next morning, it never occured to me there would not be better sleeping arrangement on it. Have any of you done this and if so what did you feel like the next morning? Keeping in mind we are in our mid 40s Any one else have options for us? Thanks!

#10748 - 03/09/01 05:15 PM Re: Madrid to Paris
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I took this train with my wife in '94. The particular train we were on was an older train that was not comfortable at all. To top it off we had to unload in the middle of the night into a small train station at the border and transfer trains. We just sat in the seats all night and yes, we did arrive very tired in Madrid. Sorry...this is not what you wanted to hear but that's my experience.

Leche

[This message has been edited by Leche (edited 03-09-2001).]

#10749 - 03/09/01 06:06 PM Re: Madrid to Paris
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
What about flying to Paris? Spanair had an incredible offer (9800 pesetas Madrid - París return subject to very restrictive conditions). Now they have not-so-incredible prices but I think it's cheaper to fly than to take the train to Paris.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-10-2001).]

#10750 - 03/10/01 09:56 AM Re: Madrid to Paris
Guapetona Offline

You could also rent a car from Europcar in Paris and return it in Spain. You will be able to stop when and where you want and its got to be less expensive than the train. Or, fly as Antonio mentioned.

#10751 - 03/12/01 01:11 PM Re: Madrid to Paris
rhonda Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi there,
i did the same trip last year...and well, i am not sure what you mean by 'couchettes'?!!
I stayed in a room with 3 other people, there were 4 beds(bunk beds). I didn't think it was too bad. I mean, i felt scummy for not showering, but other than that it was fine.
But i agree with Antonio, you should book a flight with SpanAir, cheaper(9.800pts), faster and much more comfortable.
Saludos,
Rhonda

#10752 - 03/12/01 02:54 PM Re: Madrid to Paris
figmentslf Offline

Loc: New Tripoli, PA USA
Thanks for the info but it seems the SpanAir special is over. The best rate I could get from them was $928 (US) for the four of us. This may be because our flight day is Good Friday? That was for 2 adults one student and 1 child. Rhonda, what you are talking about seems to be what was called a couchette to me (it was described as 4-6 small beds in a compartment). Do you remember what you were charged for it? I've been told over here that they only offer "private" sleeping compartments on this train and those are also 4 beds but with a bit more room and possibly a sink? The price on these are supposed to be $159 per person though? Someone else suggested flying Madrid to Brussels via Virgin Express they charge approximately $60 per person and then using our Eurorail pass to get from Brussels to Paris. This would probably involve another night in a motel in either Brussels or Paris for us but its a bit cheaper then the "sleeper" compartment on the train. Has anyone ridden Madrid to Paris train more recently then 1994? Just how uncomfortable is it? Any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

#10753 - 03/13/01 06:24 AM Re: Madrid to Paris
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
The train switch was because Spanish railroads use broad gauge, which is being converted gradually to the standard European one. Trains now have variable axles which switch widths automatically at the border so you don't have to change.

The trenhotels to París are somewhat pricy, however 150 seems a better deal than you would find with an airline.

#10754 - 03/13/01 07:25 AM Re: Madrid to Paris
mjames8258 Offline

Loc: houston, texas u.s.a.
In '96 I took the train from Madrid to Nice. As I recall, we departed around noon and arrived Nice around 7:00 the following morning. Sitting up sleeping is somewhat less than desirable, but I survived. On the return, I booked a couchette. In my opinion, that was even LESS comfortable than sitting up for 20+ hours. A couchette is NOT for the claustrophobic! It was a compartment no more than about 8'X7' - that's 6 people in approx. 56 sq. ft. with 6 bunk beds. I was on the top bunk with about 12" clearance. It seemed rather odd to me to try sleeping with 5 TOTAL strangers! So far as doing it again, personally, I wouldn't pay extra for this accomodation. Definately not my idea of good time!

------------------
msj

#10755 - 03/13/01 05:10 PM Re: Madrid to Paris
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Asterault,

Are you sure about this gradual conversion of gauges?. I know they built the high speed line from Madrid to Seville using the international standard and they are doing the same on the new high speed lines to Barcelona, Valencia, Valladolid... But I never heard of any conversion of the old lines.

#10756 - 03/14/01 07:33 AM Re: Madrid to Paris
rhonda Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi again,
that's wierd about the SpanAir deal, i guess it's because it's Good Friday. Anyways, i took the trip in 1999. And it cost me about 30.000pts(return trip), i dunno what that is in US dollors. Anyways, i didn't think it was really uncomfortable. Well if you know the people in your room, then it's much better i guess. I was with an old lady who i didn't know, who had a hard time controlling her bodily functions, so it wasn't a great experience. But I wouldn't tell you not to do it. If you can't get a flight, then take the train! It will be fine, just remember you're not in a hotel, you're inside a
tube-like vehicle travelling at high speeds aross the continent. With that in mind, i think the trip will be fine.... Bring some cards or board games and have some fun!
Saludos,
Rhonda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments