Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#10217 - 12/15/00 01:42 PM Madrid-Sevilla-Lisbon-Madrid
juniperchick Offline

Loc: Singapore
I'm new to this and need some help with my itinerary.

1. I'm planning to travel from Madrid to Sevilla by AVE on 1 Jan 2001. Is it possible to get tickets and seats when I arrive in Madrid on 28 Dec 2000? Would it be cheaper to buy a return ticket?

2. What's the best option to get from Madrid to Lisbon - overnight train or flight? Which is cheaper?

3. Would it be better to buy a Eurorail/Europass ticket? And if so, which is better? I have only 11 days of holiday in total.

#10218 - 12/15/00 02:39 PM Re: Madrid-Sevilla-Lisbon-Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
There's a Renfe (Spanish Rail) office in the airport. It's in Terminal #1 about 75m from the International Arrivals Hall (on your right, just past the escalators). You can buy your ticket and/or reservation for any AVE (or Triana) train there. If you don't have a railpass and if you are planning to come back to Madrid from Sevilla rather than going direct from Sevilla to Lisbon, it will save you some to buy a roundtrip ticket. In that case I would advise you to buy your ticket at Madrid's Puerta de Atocha. I had a personal experience: After I specifically asked for 'Ida y Vuelta,' the Agent at the Barajas airport Renfe Office issued us full price 1-way tickets rather than return trip ticket (which should have given us a 20% discount). After she had 'run' my Visa card I asked why we didn't get the discount. She just shrugged and replied that she doesn't make the prices, the computer does. It was a 'rip off.' At Atocha, they give you any applicable discount automatically. The last time I checked (Sep. 18), the same lady was there in the Barajas Renfe Office as ticket Agent.

If you are just going to Spain or Spain and Portugal, you can buy a Spain-Pass or one that is good in both Spain and Portugal. That way, you could trip Lisbon to Coimbra or Porto on an Alfa. I think they are available for as few as 3-days (in 2-weeks) and would be much cheaper than Eurailpass or Europass. Also: If you have a First Class Spainpass I think the AVE supplement is very little.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 12-15-2000).]

#10219 - 12/15/00 09:47 PM Re: Madrid-Sevilla-Lisbon-Madrid
juniperchick Offline

Thanks Eddie for the info.

I've checked on the train from Sevilla to Lisbon and it goes via Madrid anyway. Would it be better to take the AVE back to Madrid from Sevilla or take the overnight train from Sevilla to Lisbon?

#10220 - 12/16/00 07:55 AM Re: Madrid-Sevilla-Lisbon-Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

I was actually thinking of the Viajes Julia (Eurolines) bus (9.5 hours Sevilla-Lisboa). I took one of those 2-years ago. It's a real drag, but it gets you there. Unfortunately, in the off season it only runs about 3-days a week, so you'd have to schedule yourself accordingly.
I don't do railpasses, especially in Portugal where rail travel is cheaper than just about any-where else in Europe. Alternatively, you could bus from Sevilla to the Algarve (Faro or Lagos) and catch a train from either of those places to Lisboa. Check http://www.cp.pt (Caminhos Portugueses) for schedules.
For a centrally located, inexpensive place to stay in Lisboa e-mail my friend Carlos Ferreira: restrela@esoterica.pt

#10221 - 12/17/00 02:06 AM Re: Madrid-Sevilla-Lisbon-Madrid
juniperchick Offline

Thanks Eddie for your help. I've emailed Carlos, to check on the accomodation.

I think I'll take the AVE back to Madrid and catch the Hotel Tren to Lisbon. It's quite a hassle catching the bus then the train.

#10222 - 12/17/00 05:47 AM Re: Madrid-Sevilla-Lisbon-Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

The AVE runs only to/from Madrid's Puerta de Atocha (train station). The Madrid-Lisbon Luisitania Express originates/terminates at Madrid's Chamartin station. You have to make your way to a different rail station (Metro Madrid may be the best way, but be careful).

Lisbon's Oriente multimodal transportation Center is much better connected than Santa Apolonia. There are also ATM machines and several fast food-type restaurants in the station complex. Oriente, built for Expo'98 is a Metro station, a regional rail station and a bus terminal. Once, on arrival there, we took the Metro to Saldanha and exited at Duque de Avila (20-paces from Residencial Estrela do Saldanha). Another time, we took regional rail (Tranvia) from there to the Entre Campos station where we caught a taxi the last few blocks. On my most recent trip (Jul '99) I took the metro to Alameda and a taxi from there.
BTW
I have referred several people to Carlos' Residencial Estrela do Saldanha and everyone loves it. That's the e-mail address I gave you.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 12-17-2000).]

#10223 - 12/18/00 09:31 AM Re: Madrid-Sevilla-Lisbon-Madrid
juniperchick Offline

Good one Eddie! Brillant tip. I have emailed Carlos and he says hi! I hope to get my visa to Portugal sorted out by this week. (what a pain). Don't understand why they are making it difficult. Spain is a breeze without visas!

Will let you know what happens next.

Thanks once again for all the tips.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments